Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-17-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
Travel Trailer for 2006 Tahoe Z71?

I am looking to buy my first trailer for my family (wife, two kids, 5 & 3). I want an trailer no shorter than 22'. I need something that can sleep 4 comfortably. My preference is one queen bed and two bunks. I will be towing whatever trailer I buy with a 2006 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (V8, 5.3 L). I want a used trailer no older than 6-7 years. My questions to the experts are the following:

1. What weight will I be able to tow without bogging my SUV down?
2. What are the best lightweight trailers for the money?

I literally just started looking at trailers and I am trying to learn, so any advice is welcome. Thank you very much.

dms180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Originally Posted by dms180 View Post
I will be towing whatever trailer I buy with a 2006 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (V8, 5.3 L).

Here are your tow ratings.

Heavy-Duty Trailering Package
Tow up to 8,500 lbs. with Tahoe 2WD, up to 8,200 with Tahoe 4WD.

03 Adventurer 38G, Workhorse W22
F&R Track Bars, Safety+ , Ultrapower, Taylor Extremes, SGII
TST 507, Blue Ox, SMI, Koni FSD, CrossFire
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
Thanks, any suggestions on trailer brands / models?
dms180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
Regardless of the tow ratings I would not consider any trailers with a GVWR higher than 7000 pounds. BTDT and while the Tahoe is a nice vehicle it is not a real heavy duty tow vehicle. It is rather heavy to begin with and can run out of capacity in a hurry when you load the family and all the "stuff" to go with them. Also, sorry, but again IMHO 25 feet is too long for the short wheel base Tahoe. Get one of the hybrid trailers. Both Forest River and Keystone make fine hybrid's.
Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:20 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to iR2. I have to agree with Don about the trailer length. The Tahoe can pull some weight, but with the short wheelbase and high center of gravity, it should not be used to pull a trailer over about 24'. There is more to towing than just weight.

You will also want add a large external transmission cooler. It will also do better if the Tahoe has LT series tires. Also get a good weight distributing hitch with sway control.. I like the Reese Dual Cam HP.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:46 AM   #6
Actually the Tahoe is classed as a large SUV - it has a 1/2T truck frame with an SUV body. The main thing you want to look at is the CGWR - that is the most the drivetrain can handle - or the most the loaded Tahoe and TT can weigh. This is around 14,000 lbs for your rig. I would stay around 11,000 lbs to be on the safe side. I would look at something like an Outback 210RS or a Kodiak 220 BHKS. Both have queen beds and bunks. I agree with bunks for the kids. Either will be under 6000 lbs fully loaded for camping. I had an older 99 Tahoe that I used to tow my AF 22H with and its tow capacity was 2000 lbs less than yours (the 5.3 makes more HP and Torque than the old 5.7) The AF put the Tahoe just at 12,000 lbs (scaled wt) without any water in the tanks - it was a handfull, took forever to climb hills (30 in 2od) and took almost a mile to reach 55 - unless I punched it - even then it took a lot to get that combo to move. My older 4000lb Trail Lite was no problem. And I think that either one of these two lightweights would be just as nice. IMHO the Outback looks to be the nicer of the two. There is also a third unit I just found a Jayco Jay Feather EXP model 213 - same floorplan and specs - might be the best constructed of all of them.
07 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L ,6 speed auto, 4x4, Blue Granite Metalic

05 Arctic Fox 22H
Randy the sly old fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:14 PM   #7
Cherokee a few years ago built a nice lite weight model that was well built and loaded with features, the model was a 28a, you might call Lakeshore rv and see if they have a used one, there a big cherokee dealer and where our neighbors bought theres. the number is 231 788 2040, hope you find what your looking for.

shipwreck1 is offline   Reply With Quote