Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2019, 06:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands Bob View Post
Actually, a $25,000 travel trailer will get you a $13,000 asset in about 3 years, whether you use it or not.
it's funny when your looking for a specific camper the prices never go that way. a camper I was looking at the dealer they wanted 19.5 for. there are two for sale 2-3 years old and they want 15-16 for. of course the dealer that gave me a price on the new one baited me into the dealer ship with a 1 year old unit for 14k and then said it was under contract.

so do I save 3.5-4.5k for a used unit with no warrenty, harder to find financing and the new unit has updated appliances
bst24351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2019, 10:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands Bob View Post
Actually, a $25,000 travel trailer will get you a $13,000 asset in about 3 years, whether you use it or not.
Right. Which by your math would net me $13k worth of tangible property owned vs going the hotel room route which would net me nothing more than memories. Decisions, decisions!

I don't want to get off topic. My money, my decision. I just really wanted to know what model may work best for me and what I need out of it. I will surely check out the Grand Design.
Rob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:01 AM   #17

I reread this thread.

Staying in hotel room vs a travel trailer. I pick the travel trailer hands down. No bed bugs, no smoke smell, has all your stuff, less noise, cleaner, and no creepy people. Hotel room $90/night. Campground $35/night. Families driveway $0. This helps offset extra gas $$$.

I have been looking for my 4th travel trailer. I like the Winnebago trailers as well as the Grand Design trailers. The really cool thing about Winnebago is you can option in a color like Red, Blue, Orange, Yellow. Winnebago also uses a BAL frame. I think Grand Design does too. Between a Lippert Frame and a BAL frame I pick BAL.

In a few years the kids will love camping. Then a few more years the kids will tolerate camping. A lot of campground will have a lake to fish and swim in. You can go to the beach if that is your thing. (It is my thing).

You may end up using the trailer more than you think. They are comfortable, self contained, and actually a good thing to get into I think.

Oh, when you buy a trailer ask for a group 29/31 battery. Tell the dealer you will pay the $35 difference between the standard group 24 battery and the much larger, better group 29/31 which will take a bigger battery box.

To muddy the water a little bit, I think I would also buy a KZ or Rockwood trailer. Go to your local RV dealer and start kicking the tires.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I reread this thread.

Staying in hotel room vs a travel trailer. I pick the travel trailer hands down. No bed bugs, no smoke smell, has all your stuff, less noise, cleaner, and no creepy people. Hotel room $90/night. Campground $35/night. Families driveway $0. This helps offset extra gas $$$.

I have been looking for my 4th travel trailer. I like the Winnebago trailers as well as the Grand Design trailers. The really cool thing about Winnebago is you can option in a color like Red, Blue, Orange, Yellow. Winnebago also uses a BAL frame. I think Grand Design does too. Between a Lippert Frame and a BAL frame I pick BAL.

In a few years the kids will love camping. Then a few more years the kids will tolerate camping. A lot of campground will have a lake to fish and swim in. You can go to the beach if that is your thing. (It is my thing).

You may end up using the trailer more than you think. They are comfortable, self contained, and actually a good thing to get into I think.

Oh, when you buy a trailer ask for a group 29/31 battery. Tell the dealer you will pay the $35 difference between the standard group 24 battery and the much larger, better group 29/31 which will take a bigger battery box.

To muddy the water a little bit, I think I would also buy a KZ or Rockwood trailer. Go to your local RV dealer and start kicking the tires.

Good luck
Thank you! All of those +'s make the decision even easier. The other thing is my wife and I have very different styles when it comes to staying in a hotel room. I live out of my suitcase, easy in easy out, self contained and I can be gone in 5 minutes. My wife has to move into the room- even just for a day or two. Every drawer, every shelf, every nook and cranny needs to be used. Packing up and leaving a day or two or three later is an enormous project because we've moved ourselves in and settled for what would seem like the next 2 months. The difference in style causes friction sometimes lol. I figure a travel trailer I can stay moved into and it doesn't make any difference. Plus with a travel trailer I get to bring my dog so I also have a built in security system while I am away from it.

My free time is extremely limited with 2 careers and my wife's career and 2 little boys to boot but next time I have an hour or two to kill I will be headed over to one of my local dealers.
Rob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:58 AM   #19

Travel Trailer for Light Use

Really, in that kind of usage scenario and budget they’ll all be fine and all be about the same for the mainline brands. Get the one you like. Most everyone makes a 27 footish bunkhouse, most with outdoor kitchens, that costs $25-30k new. The brands listed before will all serve you well.

There is one oddball in that budget and length that you might consider: the Nash 29S. That will push the upper end of your budget and length but probably the best built trailer you can get within those parameters. (ORV might have something in their backcountry line that would be findable in that budget as well *if* you can find a leftover on a lot somewhere.)

Tags
light, trailer, travel, travel trailer