Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2015, 03:47 PM   #1

Travel Trailer for Toyota Tacoma?

I own a 2015 T T v6, and I am wondering if anyone knows the longest and biggest kind of travel trailer that would work for this truck. Been thinking about full time living in a trailer. Thanks for reading everyone!
trvltrlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2015, 03:49 PM   #2

By TT I mean Toyota Tacoma
trvltrlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:41 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It would be help full if you post the full information. For example, does it have the factory tow package. What does your manual say is the towing capacity for your truck?
The more info you provide the more informed the answers.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:56 PM   #4

Also what is the max cargo capacity ( which has to have enough left to carry the hitch and tongue weight) . I'm afraid it will be tight to live in an RV that the Taco can pull.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:17 PM   #5

What is the rear axle ratio also?

All in all, you're probably only looking at a 6k lb trailer, max. That is not very big. Especially loaded since you'll be fulltiming. You'll probably need a 4.5k lb empty trailer for the stuff you'll load up.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:52 PM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
My daughter and son-in-law bought our first TT (travel trailer) from us and had a V-6 Tacoma for a tow vehicle. The trailer was a Shadow Cruiser 185FBS (I think). It only weighed 3,330 on the scales packed and ready. They came to Amarillo and towed it to San Antonio. Before they towed it again, they bought a used F-150. He said the V-6 was close to redline many times and the fuel economy was horrible. Beware of dealers that tell you "your truck will pull it". They are there to sell trailers... and not concerned with your safety.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:08 PM   #7

I would not think a trailer that you could pull with the Tacoma would be big enough to full time in. I think most people(not all) that Full time in a trailer are doing it with a big 5th wheel type rig. I guess it just depends on the lifestyle you want to live, but consider being cooped up in it in inclement weather. Everything is fun in the summer, but once winter comes it's another story. Also don't listen to the salesmen regarding what trailers you can tow, they will sell you anything and most times don't have a clue about towing capacities or don't really care. Only go by what is recommended in your manual for capacities, and if you are even close it is not the best idea.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:23 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A Toyota Tacoma is limited in what it can pull, as others already noted. We towed a Starcraft tent trailer with my old 1980 Toyota pick-up. No problems with that.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:41 PM   #9

It varies widely in specs depending on exactly what options you have. We would need to know more. Better yet check the door stickers. If you luck out you could have the version with 1500 lb payload and 6400 lb towing. This would widen your options, but a V6 is still going to struggle with it on hills.

http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/ebrochure/. Page 24.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:12 AM   #10

That is a great city truck. It can haul bag of mulch from Home Depot. But as a tow vehicle it is too small to tow anything that you would want to live in.

I would tow a T@B or A-Liner type trailer but that is it. T@B trailers are those tear drop shaped cool weekend getaway campers.

Get yourself a full sized 1/2 ton truck to tow a 6,000 lb trailer comfortably.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 09:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
My daughter and son-in-law bought our first TT (travel trailer) from us and had a V-6 Tacoma for a tow vehicle. The trailer was a Shadow Cruiser 185FBS (I think). It only weighed 3,330 on the scales packed and ready. They came to Amarillo and towed it to San Antonio. Before they towed it again, they bought a used F-150. He said the V-6 was close to redline many times and the fuel economy was horrible. Beware of dealers that tell you "your truck will pull it". They are there to sell trailers... and not concerned with your safety.
BTDT with a Frontier V6 (same as a Taco on power) and a 4050lb TT. Horrible towing. 8.5 mpg. With the small gas tank I was looking for gas stations after 100 miles. Jumped to an 08 F150. Got 10.5 mpg and the towing experience was great.
FWIW the TT was 4050lbs loaded, 7'6"w, 9'9"h and 21'9" OAL.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:13 PM   #12

Jayco Owners Club
I just bought a Micro Minnie, it was the biggest TT that several dealers would recommend me pulling with my 4Runner. I would NOT recommend that TT for full time living.😱
boater1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:07 AM   #13

My best advice, from a former Tacoma owner '07 xcess cab, 2.7, 5 speed, 4x4, we were pulling a 14' trailer that weighed just over 2k, full tank of gas, DW and small dog, food, water, clothes. Manual showed that it would pull 3500 lbs. On flat, no problems, but don't go up a hill of any height or grade! We got caught on M37 here in Northern Michigan, going 45, foot was tired from pushing to floor all the time, then the road went to two lane because of grade. Dropped to 4th, no joy and lost 5MPH, had to drop to 3rd, and lost another 5. Told DW that this was not safe for us or for the others on the road. She really didn't want to get a different truck, telling me there were no hills around our area. I reminded her of only one of four. Then I got the deer in the headlight look. Sold the Tacoma back to Metro, and got a different truck that will pull a 35' footer if we upgrade.
BandSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:42 AM   #14

Was at my local Toyota dealer for my 100,000 mile service yesterday (FJ Cruiser), and looked at a new Tacoma that had there tow package (every Tacoma they had on the lot had the tow package). They rate the tow capacity @ 6,400 lbs.
I found this interesting because my FJ Cruiser with the same drive train is rated @ 5,000 lbs towing capacity. This is a 4.0Ltr V6 with automatic transmission with aftermarket transmission cooler. I tow a 26 ft. R-Vision Trail Lite travel trailer that fully loaded averages just under 5,000 lbs and tows like a dream! note: both vehicles are 4X4 Automatics.
Gas mileage not towing: 21MPG....towing average drops to 12 MPG but the engine never seems stressed.
Boomster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel, travel trailer