Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2015, 06:55 AM   #1

Travel Trailer GVWR and axle rating don't leave much margin, is this normal?

I've been shopping for a travel trailer and have noticed the following with the Forest River Cherokee Wolf Pup 16BHS:

GVWR exactly 3917 pounds
Axle is 3500 pounds
Hitch weight is exactly 417 pounds

I looked at one today at a dealer and the sticker said:

Dry weight is 3212 pounds
This trailer has a 32 gallon fresh water tank, 267 pounds per the sticker. So 3479 pounds with just water.

So with a battery and propane, gear, food, and luggage you are well over 3500 pounds. That doesn't leave much margin in the GVWR and exceeds the axle ratings, probably the tires as well.

Is this normal? Should a trailer this weight have a higher rated axle and tires? Seems to me they are underrated components on this trailer. Don't you want more margin in a trailer? Seems like running maxed out is unwise?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2015, 08:12 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tiger View Post
I've been shopping for a travel trailer and have noticed the following with the Forest River Cherokee Wolf Pup 16BHS:

GVWR exactly 3917 pounds
Axle is 3500 pounds

This trailer has a 32 gallon fresh water tank, 267 pounds per the sticker. So 3479 pounds with just water.

So with a battery and propane, gear, food, and luggage you are well over 3500 pounds. That doesn't leave much margin in the GVWR and exceeds the axle ratings, probably the tires as well.

Is this normal? Should a trailer this weight have a higher rated axle and tires? Seems to me they are underrated components on this trailer. Don't you want more margin in a trailer? Seems like running maxed out is unwise?

You see that mostly in the light weight trailers where they are trying to persuade that you can tow their light-weight with a Prius or some such.

Our old trailer was like that. GVWR was 4000#, GAWR was 3500#, the difference was supposed to be the hitch weight. It worked, but we were right at the tire and axle limits. And had to replace the axle once.

Our current trailer is a heavy weight with a 8100# GVWR and the axle/tires are rated over 10400#. Much better IMHO.

brulaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:45 AM   #3

Also worth considering, the water tank may not be mounted in such a way to carry water over long distances. 3500 lb with water but at least 500 lbs (and probably a lot more) will be on the tongue, so you have some extra capacity on the axle.

The manufacturer measures the tongue weight for a bare bones trailer, no options, no AC, no battery and no propane. Depending on where the water tank is located, it may increase or decrease the tongue weight. You should expect the tongue weight to be about 20 to 50% heavier than quoted.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:25 AM   #4

I'm a looking at some similar trailers, similar floor plan, different manufacturer, different specs. For comparison the other one I'm considering has an aluminum frame. The Forest River above has a steel frame. Both trailers have essentially the same GVWR but the dry weight is 600 pounds less, probably mostly due to the aluminum frame.

I really like the Forest River. It looked nicer and had more stuff for the money. But I'm concerned about it being too heavy for its axle and tires.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tiger View Post

GVWR exactly 3917 pounds
Axle is 3500 pounds

Ask this question on the Towing & Tow Vehicles forum, there are many on that forum who have a lot of knowledge (and apparently the time to spend) on trailer weights. I learned a lot on that forum, wish I had visited the forum before I bought our present trailer.

Tags
travel, travel trailer