Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2016, 06:11 PM   #15

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
Hope everyone is safe.
When Andrew hit Florida the hurricane proof Hurricane Center was destroyed.

Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2016, 07:59 AM   #16

Please let us know how you are. Praying everything worked out and your family is safe.

WVWilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:18 AM   #17

Travel Trailer Hurricane Prep??

Okay, we made it through the 'cane with no damage to our home, with the most serious problem being our backyard fence managed to have 3-4 4x4 posts snapped and the fence is leaning over a bit. Most importantly we just checked on our trailer and it is completely unscathed. We were way more fortunate than many others. I want to thank you all for your thoughts, prayers and suggestions!! Much, MUCH appreciated!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9524.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	141066  
Old 10-08-2016, 10:33 AM   #18

So glad to hear!
Make sure you double check against any holes poked in the roof material. Insurance will cover any immediate damage, but any slowly caused water damage as a result of a small leak will likely not be covered.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:37 AM   #19

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
Very good news that you are OK. Keep it safe.
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut4speed View Post
So glad to hear!
Make sure you double check against any holes poked in the roof material. Insurance will cover any immediate damage, but any slowly caused water damage as a result of a small leak will likely not be covered.

Ah, good idea! I wasn't able to check that since I didn't have a ladder me. There were no obvious wet or damp spots anywhere inside that we could see or feel though and we had a LOT of rain with the 'cane. I will take a ladder back and check the roof though. Thank you!
Old 10-08-2016, 04:56 PM   #21

Moisture meter is worth it's weight in gold.

I'm south of you in Florida on the Treasure Coast. Having worked for the power company in FL for 35 yrs (now retired) and traveled to many other hurricane hit areas throughout the US ... you can only prepare and protect your TT up to a certain point, then it's either put it in a bunker or leave.

Most TT's I saw "destroyed" were rolled over by the wind. Those who put the front into the forecast direction of the strongest wind fared best.

Beyond wheel chocks, digging a trench for the tires to sit in keeps the TT from rolling. Of course the trench fills with water so you have to have a truck capable of pulling it out. Also deflating tires lowers the profile. Drop the tongue jack all the way so the TT is more of a wedge creating a downward force from the wind.
Screw anchors have to go deep 5'-6' to work well... garden anchors don't cut it.
I'm not a fan of securing a TT to a tree. Guess why? See travel trailer rolled over pulling tree on top of it.

Tags
hurricane, travel, travel trailer