Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2016, 08:19 AM   #1

Travel Trailer Hurricane Prep??

We live in Palm Coast, FL and it appears that Hurricane Matthew may be heading our way and passing fairly close by in spite of the fact that no Hurricane in recorded history is known to hit here. We are about five miles as the wind blows from the Atlantic Ocean on the west side of I-95 by around a mile or so. Our trailer should get some protection on the west side by the behemoth motor home next to it and possibly some protection to the front and back from the storage buildings in front and back, but one side is pretty exposed. I just went over to our trailer at the storage lot and removed the tire covers, ran down the stabilizer jacks, closed the top vents, latched the reefer shut and closed all the cabinets and doors and double chocked it. The propane tanks and battery disconnect were already off. Short of taking the trailer out of possible harms way do any of you have any further suggestions for prepping the trailer for the possible storm? And yes, our insurance is up to date. Thanks for any advice.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2016, 09:24 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Fill ALL the holding tanks with water to add weight down low.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:09 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Load up some things into it for the next few days, get a full tank of fuel, and drive it all in a direction that will take you and it out of the damaging effects of the weather. Anything short of that is really just hoping that it doesn't get damaged by the storm.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:14 AM   #4

move out of the way.. or pray . the best in whatever you decide.

I would move in-land and UP higher.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:35 AM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
#1 call your insurance agent to make sure it is up to date.

#2 do what you can to take reasonable precautions to protect it so that argument with your insurance company is off the table.

#3 stock it up and use it to get out of the way and have if you need housing after the storm.
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:43 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboat View Post
#1 call your insurance agent to make sure it is up to date.

#2 do what you can to take reasonable precautions to protect it so that argument with your insurance company is off the table.

#3 stock it up and use it to get out of the way and have if you need housing after the storm.

I no longer live in hurricane country, but when I did, I took some relief in the idea that I would use my RV to evacuate my family and dogs the next time I had to evacuate.

If I were in your boots, I'd be heading out of town. Having lived near Houston when Ike hit (we did evacuate; we did not own an RV then), I would not take chances on being around when the storm hits. At least that way you know everyone will be safe, and you'll have a temporary home in the event that your sticks-n-bricks home is damaged, or you can't return to it right away.

Hurricane devastation is just unbelievable. No matter of securing an RV would be sufficient when entire blocks of homes are wiped out, huge yachts are discovered miles inland, and other man-made and natural landmarks are demolished.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:00 PM   #7

storm

load up and get out of town
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:13 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
I worked recovery on hurricane Andrew and what I saw I would not stay like asphalt roofing shingles stuck in a tree like a axe er a house with holes through the walls like bullet holes from the gravel across the street also coming to a concrete slab with nothing on it and finding out the debri pile a 1/2 mile away was the house.

Your stuff can be replaced a life can't.
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:15 PM   #9

Carolina Campers
I would have left IN that TT yesterday for inland and higher ground...like TN!
Old 10-06-2016, 09:23 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Take lots of pictures of it for the ins co. and roll up the awning.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:26 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Exclamation Get out now!

we were in panama city, fl in oct of 1995 when opal was nearing us. we were forced to evacuate and glad we did. power was out for 7 days and the detruction was unbelievable.
even thouh we went north OVER 100 miles to eufala, al. our brand new 5th wheel we took with us sustained a lot of damage.
it ain't just the hurricane force winds and rain or flooding. there WILL be tornadoes spawned by this storm, also!

good luck
ricndot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:21 PM   #12

I want to thank everyone for their thoughtful comments. Ultimately we made the decision to stay put in our well provisioned home that was built to the latest hurricane codes rather than risk being caught up in traffic with the trailer and possibly stranded. I hate to think that our new Bullet will probably be destroyed, but it is insured and can be replaced. At this point it looks like we are going to take a direct or very close hit by a Cat 4 hurricane. There were other reasons, family oriented, that made us decide to stay put that I won't go into.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:23 PM   #13

I don't blame you for staying, easier to deal with an insurance company to replace a camper than deal with an insurance company because your house was looted or it flooded and all you memories/belongings destroyed because there was a hole torn in your roof you weren't able to immediately patch up.
Let us know how your fair and the camper also!
Nut4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 02:36 PM   #14

This would be a great time to take advantage of the mobility your RV offers you.
Perhaps a good time to explore inland states up in the mountains. I hear the foliage is beautiful this time of year in places away from the coast.
In short: get out of harms way.
Enjoy you camping trip...return when the storm is history...watch the storm on your TV news knowing that RV flying into the ocean is not yours !

Happy Camping !
Boomster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane, travel, travel trailer