RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2019, 04:00 PM   #1

Travel Trailer Insurance???

We are new to RVing and we just purchased out first Travel Trailer, a Grand Design Transcend 26RLS. Aside from all the extra "stuff" we need like hoses, surge protectors, etc... I'm wondering about insurance. Is it required? If not, should I get it? Is there a type to buy? Is one company better than another? Where is a good source of info?

Thanks

Bob

BeerBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2019, 04:40 PM   #2

Start with your insurance agent. I have coverage on my TT for collision damage, liability, etc and it's only a couple hundred a year. Just make sure you know what's covered.

steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:39 PM   #3

Usually the tow vehicle's insurance covers a trailer while connected.

When the trailer is parked, that is a different story...

My homeowner's insurance covers it then.

Call your insurance guy.
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:26 AM   #4

In addition to your "coverage" I would definitely look in to Good Sam extended warranty. They will give you a five year policy that covers most everything on your trailer. It is really a good buy when you consider the replacement cost of appliances and systems, make sure you get tire coverage. Here's to many enjoyable miles.
Cheers
retnasaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:12 PM   #5

I'm paying $240/yr for full coverage through my auto policy with Erie. Any damage while driving or parked is covered by the auto policy. I'm not sure if it would have been cheaper to get separate insurance for the trailer though.
BobChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:07 PM   #6

Geico is really good. My home owners at the time in Ohio did not understand RV's. They asked questions that told me they did not understand.

I called Geico and they knew exactly what I was talking about. A truck pulling a 5th wheel. Geico even understood staying the winter in Florida. They set us up with insurance that covered our site. If someone got hurt on our site we were covered. I moved auto/truck to them also.
The site coverage moved with us too.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:41 PM   #7

We called our auto insurance and added the TT to our policy.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:12 AM   #8

we added to our current auto policy and it only went up by like $40 a year. We have a Coleman 295 QB
Manana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:14 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We've got Progressive with agreed value replacement. Reason being, we had some friends have their almost new trailer stolen from a storage lot, the amount of back and forth over the value of the trailer was ridiculous. We live on the West Coast, where there's usually a couple thousand in transportation cost. The adjuster kept showing them trailer prices in Indiana and Ohio as comps.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:34 PM   #10

Normally your trailer will be covered by your tow vehicles policy while it is being towed and hooked up to your vehicle. Ask your current agent to verify. But when you unhook, your auto insurance most likely not cover your trailer. You need to get coverage for damage to your trailer, or damage your trailer causes to another ones property as well as liability if someone falls and gets hurt in your trailer while it is parked as well as fire and theft to your trailer while unhooked or in storage. Your homeowners may cover it but again ask your current agent.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:40 AM   #11

Normally your trailer will be covered by your tow vehicles policy while it is being towed

Normally the liability of your trailer will be covered by your tow vehicles policy while it is being towed, as in what your trailer strikes like an awning at a Jack In The Box drive thru (it happens) or if it comes loose and hits another vehicle or property. Having it listed on your policy will cover the TT itself from the damage it gets during these situation and others.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:22 AM   #12

I have all my insurance through geico and yes you SHOULD have insurance on your trailer. You will want liability incase someone walks through your campsite and hurts themselves.
I have $300,000 liability, $5,000 personal property and $5,000 vacation interruption for $241.00 a year. My truck coverage covers issues while towing.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:30 AM   #13

Bundled mine thru our local Ins agent and we use Mutual Of Enumclaw. Couple 100 a year as well.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:49 AM   #14

2017 Flagstaff Classic superlite
Diamond.
5 weeks old , 3 amigos. Tried to steal it , ran it into a telephone pole trying to get it off the pad
Till the personal suppressor was used .
6 months later I damaged the passenger side at the back
Blow out , 10 minutes on the road damaged skirt, gas line .
October of 2018 in Beavers bend Oklahoma with camping group, big storm and large tree branch fell 40 ft and damaged the back end of fiberglass.

We have named this TT
“ Trailer from Hell”
Trailer has done nothing to us , we’ve done it to the TT.

GET YOUR ON TT POLICY , not added on to your Auto .
We insure it for 39,000 complete coverage

capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grand design rv, insurance, trailer, travel, travel trailer