Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Is that true ?!?

every state and national park we've been to can handle a 5th wheel...

they take up no more space than a MH and not thinking they would block out 2 of the three types of rv's ?!?

My suggestion - look, look, and look again for the LAYOUT you like, no matter what type towable it is....

be patient and make it a business decision, not an emotional decision...

decide on one, then do MORE research on the forums...

If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #16
Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Check out Excelrv.com...they build the best IMHO 4 season full timer TT's and Fiver's.

Full line and will customize

chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:49 PM   #17

Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
Also keep in mind the "types" of campgrounds you intend to visit. We stay in a lot of state and National campgrounds in our TT that you never would have gotten a 5th wheel into. (or least not easily)

The final decision is yours, just weigh the pros and cons of each. The right answer is the type of trailer that fits your needs.

Hello Dog Folks, not sure what you mean when you say there are spaces you can get a TT into that are difficult to get a "fiver" into. I have had both and still believe it is easier to get a fiver into a tight spot than a TT (just my opinion). -Glenn
Glenn -Retired US Submarine Service
2012 3402RL Montana Fifth Wheel
2008 Ford F-450 w/Tow Command
Montana Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #18
iRV2 No Limits Club
I am NOT against fifth wheels.

I have been in 30 of the 52 states in the past six years. So of course, I haven't been in every park.

There have been times when the sites we have seen were to low (tree limbs) to allow the extra height and the average longer size of a fifth wheel. Some of the older national parks have very short sites which makes it hard for ANY type of traile, in which case overall length is more important than type.

The origanl poster must choose what is best for THEM. It very hard for any of us to "choose" for them.
Camping Rig: 2006 Outback 27 RSDS--
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
Full time since June 2006
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #19
You are absolutely right that it is their decision, I was just curious about what you meant. I thought you were saying that fifth wheels were harder to maneuver and I have found it to be the opposite. Have a great weekend Dog Folks!
Glenn -Retired US Submarine Service
2012 3402RL Montana Fifth Wheel
2008 Ford F-450 w/Tow Command
Montana Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #20
Forest River Owners Club
We have been down this same road. Not full timers yet (DW is not ready) but we do stay out 6 months at a time. For the price, our 31' TT with one slide gives us all the comfort we need. Storage is an issue, so TV is important for extra storage. The 31 foot sway is controlled with an equalizer hitch. The hook-up and un-hook are easy and quick. Have seen 5ers work really hard. We started out with full size ford 1/2 ton van. Liked the enclosed storage and carried a canoe on top. But have now started using our 3500 dually cummins pickup. No cover on the bed yet but soon. The power and mileage of the Cummins is a pleasure to drive. And the ride is way better than the van. No bucking at all.
foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #21
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
We are considering the move back to a TT and from my research I will get the Hensley hitch. It guarantees no sway.
I have a sway control attachment for my TT, but never use it. I do not
have a problem with sway with my TT, but that may be because my truck
is a one ton/4 Dr/long bed. I just use the torsion bars and chains. I also only tow at a max of about 62-65 mph.
Phil & Alberta Saran
2015 Thor Hurricane 34E with V10
2011 Dodge Dakota 4x4 towd
Philip.Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #22
A 5th wheel will pull better and be more stable.
Your overall length will be shorter as well since 7 or 8 feet over hang the truckbed.
Alie & Jim 2009 CarriLite Max1
Volvo Dually Pickup
My keyboard is faster than yours
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:58 PM   #23
We full-timed in a 7,000 lb 27' TT for a year and then upgraded to a 14,000 lb 36' FW which we full-time in now. Both trailers, hitched to our Dodge RAM, made for a 52' long overall truck-and-trailer length.

We started by pulling the TT with a Toyota Tundra which was too small a truck for the trailer. We upgraded to a Dodge 3500 4x4 after the first two months and have had that truck ever since.

The TT would have been perfect for 6 months at a time in spring/summer/fall months. It was not as easy to tow as the FW -- more sway on the road, took more time to hitch up, and harder to park. However, it was half the price and got us on the road. If we had been doing just the warm months in it we would have stuck with it.

However, the winter months keep you indoors a lot, and that little TT got awfully small that first winter. It was a "lightweight" model too, and the insulation was not as good as on the "full-timer" model of FW that we purchased

As an aside, we used an Equalizer hitch on our TT and it failed twice: first one of the bolts holding it together sheered off when we drove over a dip going into a parking lot. Then the welds cracked on the hitch head a few months later. Not sure where because we discovered it while parked and camping... So if you get a TT research the hitch carefully.

The FW has worked flawlessly. I would definitely recommend a FW over a TT for full-timing, and the Arctic Foxes are beautiful. But if your budget is tight, a TT will get you on the road sooner, and there's a lot to be said for that!!! You can always upgrade later...
Emily & Mark Fagan, traveling full-time since 2007
2007 Hitchhiker II LS & 2007 Dodge RAM 3500 4x4
Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #24
Originally Posted by schrederman
Tonge, spare and all, mine's about 29' and my F-150 pulls it fine.
My is 30ft and my Dakota tows it just fine.
Navy Retired
2016 Ram 2500 Big Horn 5.7
2014 Crossroads Zinger 27RL
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:10 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Been the route of a 35' travel trailer and loved it. a 1989 Avion all aluminum. It towed beautifully, but was heavy. The proble is lack of storage and it over all towed length is several feet longer than a 5er.

As for storage, My current 5er will beat any travel trailer, even the Excel with the basement. Carriage is out of business and there are a lot of good buys on gently used Carriage trailers on the market.

But a Carriage is not a light weight trailer.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote