Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #1

Travel Trailer Parking Brake

New to RV'ing in the US, we bought a KZ RV e18rbt at the weekend. That's one of those 'hybrid' travel trailers, with the fold-down bunks at the ends.

I grew up vacationing in caravans (the British term for a travel trailer), so my references are a little different to USA RV's, one thing surprised me though when putting the TT on the driveway so the family could explore it, at the weekend. There's no parking brake! All the UK 'vans have a big hand lever on the tongue that locks the wheels. Then you can unhitch without any concern of it rolling into the car, sliding on the chocks or whatever.

Is it permissible to engage the brake pull cord when unhitching on a slope, or is that like a one use thing? Otherwise do you just rely on chocks?

/Andy
AndyBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Never heard of parking brakes on a trailer. I always used chocks.

I don't know about pulling the emergency brake cord, I suspect it would eventually run the battery down.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #3

Sure, it looks exactly as you'd expect (see attached). Reading the manual for my KZ it warns against using the electric brake, so I guess chocks it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitching Up (4).jpg
Views:	227
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	38303  
Old 05-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Nope, no parking brake. The current draw of the electric brake magnets is (IIRC) ~ 1.5 amps per brake, so you can figure out that the trailer battery will discharge pretty quickly if the breakaway switch cord is pulled. Just chock the wheels and be done with it.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

There are wheel chocks, and then are the really good wheel chocks that work like a champ. I have the really-good wheel chocks. Here's a link to them:
Ultra-Fab Chock and Lock Wheel Stabilizers for Tandem-Axle Trailers and RVs - Qty 2 - UF21-001070

If your KZ Spree Escape has only one axle, then those won't work. The KZ website doesn't show me a photo of the E18RBT, and the specs don't indicate whether one or two axles, but with a GVWR of 3,500 pounds it might have only one axle. If the tires are Goodyear Marathon in size ST205/75R14, they have a weight rating of 1760 pounds each, so two of them on one axle would be enough for your 3,500 pound GVWR.
http://www.kz-rv.com/spree-escape/E18RBT.html

But if yours has tandem axles, then adjust and install those wheel chocks between the tandem tires on both sides of the trailer before you disconnect the hitch, and that's more effective than any parking brake. Those come in two sizes: one size is for tires a few inches apart, and the bigger size is for tires several inches apart. There are some tandem-axle RV trailers that have the axles a coupla feet apart, and I don't know what you'd use for those.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #6

Locking Wheels

Ah - I had seen that contraption on Amazon and wondered what it did. Now I understand it expands between two tires, locking them into place. Nice idea, and I wish I could do something like that on my single axle to give me confidence when unhitching on a slope.

Would you recommend a certain chock or a single axle then?
Old 05-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBond View Post
Ah -

Would you recommend a certain chock or a single axle then?
If your regularly parking on a sloped pavement drive, get the hard rubber chocks, the cheap plastic are ok on dirt but will slide on pavement.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #8

[QUOTE=AndyBond;1557787]Sure, it looks exactly as you'd expect (see attached). Reading the manual for my KZ it warns against using the electric brake, so I guess chocks it is.[/QUOTE

The lever shown is for manual activation of hydraulic trailer brakes, (surge brakes ) in North America, surge brakes are only common on rental ; U Haul; and boat trailers.
U Haul , so no trailer brake controller is required, and boat , because of water problems with wiring and magnets.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #9

All Military trailers in the US have lever to cable parking brakes similar to emergency brakes on vehicles. Some of the 1ton's have a lever for each side.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #10

You can find rubber chocks in various sizes at most truck supply businesses. I'd recommend them over the typical plastic chocks that most RV dealers and RV supply houses have. Some come with a pull rope.

Chocks: Your One Source For Wheel Chocks, Chock Blocks, And Wheel Stops

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #11

I had a Playmor 32 ft 5th wheel about twenty years ago that did have a hand operated parking brake. It actuated dual cables that set the wheel brakes. I thought it was pretty handy. Only travel trailer I ever saw with it.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #12

I had a friend just pulled the e-brake cord to use as a parking brake. As long as the trailer is plugged in you won't run the battery down. BUT, the constant surge through the system melted the plastic housing mounted to the front of the a-frame for the "clip" that he pulled out!!. We also found that he melted parts of his brake system in the drum. We asked the dealer and found that the electric brake system is not designed for constant duty and will overheat if left on too long.
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander View Post
We asked the dealer and found that the electric brake system is not designed for constant duty and will overheat if left on too long.
Yeah, I think we'll give that a miss. Big rubber chocks it is.

Tags
brake, travel