RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2019, 07:30 PM   #1

Travel trailer rant

Ok I need to rant. I bought a new 26 foot travel trailer this year for about 30K. Been on two trips and so far have had to take it in twice. Have had to have the radio, entry door, and a fender skirt replaced. The black tank flush system, bedroom door, and cabinet door repaired.
It seems horrible, the quality that they put into these and they we (consumers) put up with it.

Ok I feel a little better.

Twgreen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2019, 07:36 PM   #2

Welcome to the wonderful world of RVs. All of them are slapped together. The lower the cost generally the worse things are

450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:41 PM   #3

It's about the same way with quarter million dollar motor homes too! It seem from comments owners make, their coaches spend their entire warranty period in a shop getting fixed!

We as consumers put up with it, so they as builders continue to build them that way.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:13 PM   #4

Hope your dealer is taking care of you under warranty. Sorry you have had so much trouble. Sounds like your TT was built by management while the workers were on strike, or vacation.

You didn't say what brand it is, but in truth, they all make a bad one every now and then. Don't make you feel better though.
See if they will consider replacing it with a equal TT. Or just get it completely gone thru, and everything fixed, and documented. Once you get all the bugs worked out. You will enjoy it even more. Hang tough

Terry and Shay, Lazy Campers
terryallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twgreen3 View Post
Ok I need to rant. I bought a new 26 foot travel trailer this year for about 30K. Been on two trips and so far have had to take it in twice. Have had to have the radio, entry door, and a fender skirt replaced. The black tank flush system, bedroom door, and cabinet door repaired.
It seems horrible, the quality that they put into these and they we (consumers) put up with it.

Ok I feel a little better.
I am glad you are feeling better. Welcome to the wonderful world of travel trailers.

I won't bore you with my list of issues. My Kodiak Cub is about 2 years old and the number if issues per mile has stayed fairly constant.
I have a couple of issues still pending. Warranty has expired, but it was not much use to begin with. Denials of claims for any remotely plausible reason was common. The TT spent the first 3 months going back and forth to the dealer. I bought it in December. The first trip was in March.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:51 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Yes it is a shame the quality of work (or lack of it) that is put it in the RV industry. And it doesn't look like it will change in the near or far future. I have pretty good luck with my TT and if I would have read up on all issues owners had I probably would not buy one. Hope things get better for you.
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:02 AM   #7

Friends who purchased a new " higher end " 5er , had the RV back at the dealer for two months to deal with 31 items that showed up during the first two weeks of use .
They said that an RV rolls off that particular assembly line every 86 seconds !

You'd think with the cost of warranty repairs , it'd be better for them to slow the line down and do the job right.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:11 AM   #8

Just as everyone else has said, welcome to the world of RVs. We (the consumer) keep buying the junk they are making, so there's no reason for them to build anything better.

This is one of the reasons tiny houses are getting more and more popular. They have the quality that people are looking for. The downside is that they are a bit heavy so you need a big truck to tow them. No little SUV can tow them. OK, I'll get off my soap box now.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:15 PM   #9

Sounds like unfortunately you bought one that came off the manufacturer assembly line on a Friday (workers ready to go home) or a Monday (workers hung over and dragging). Seems like that s the luck of the draw these days.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:09 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My opinion (for what it's worth) is that we have false expectations when buying the rv.

We are used to buying automobiles, which are build to way higher standards than rv's. We would't be able to afford a trailer or coach build to these standards!

You will become handy owning a trailer, or spend weeks in dealers for repairs. I picked the do it yourself route except for large warranty items.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:07 PM   #11

We gave up on warranty work after the 2nd visit. I end up Fixing it myself as it was easier. Fortunately it was none higher cost items.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:35 AM   #12

So far everything has been covered under warranty. I will say I am very happy with General RV. They have fixed everything very quick and even found stuff I didnt notice. Everyone has been very nice and helpful. I was pleasantly surprised with the service from such a large company.
I also agree that as long as we buy what them make they won't change. I supposed airstream would be higher quality and those prices are way to steep for me.
Twgreen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 07:02 AM   #13

This thread makes me afraid to buy anything new
415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:29 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ok, so I habe a coleman lantern 202rd. The only warranty issue I had was the furnace. I had a bad electrode and a bad circuit board. I sent it in to the dealer for the warranty repair of the CB, it was there for three weeks! I called and got no answer. Only leave a message, so I drove down. Told the service manager what happened. She said that they were playing catchup because her staff quit under a change in management. I said I want my TT back. Do you habe the CB? If you do, I will replace it in the parking lot.
They gave me the wrong board 2x and then a tech came out, tore one off another new unit, and I was on my way in under 45 mins.
The next was the electrode and flame sensor. It was going to be 2 weeks, so I just ordered one from Amazon and put it in. Saved me $45 in gas for a $15 part and it was done in 15min.
I called corporate with help from members here, told them the problems, and now I have a spare electrode at no cost to me.

Many times it is the dealer that will cause problems, not the MFG when it comes to warranty work. Just call corporate for your rig, be pleasant but firm, and it is amazing what you can get done.

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer