Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2015, 08:27 AM   #15
IC2

Even if it's a no walk roof, some plywood cut 2'x4' spread across the rafters will allow you to work there.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2015, 09:33 AM   #16

@ic2 I'm not a very good carpenter but think I could handle that. Will check to see if it's a no walk then work on step 2.. Lol thanks for the input

Old 12-05-2015, 09:33 AM   #17

Rhino Liner would be for old roofs that need replaced. They take off the rubber roof and spray the bedliner material on plywood. Not for you and your new roof.

If you are really worried about roof seems, research Eternabond tape. (Flame suit on) (Some will flame for this.)

I researched and used Eternabond on an old TT as well as other wet repairs. I once had a sump pump pipe joint fail during a severe storm event. I used the tape to stick the joint back together. It worked, under water! It held a PVC pipe to a rubber Fernco fitting. It worked so well that I let it go for a couple of months until I could tear the whole system apart for updating.

My MH is two years old. Next spring, all the roof seals will be Eternabonded after a good scrubbing. These seals are fiberglass-to-fiberglass and fiberglass-to-PVC plastic joints.

A co-worker bought a 1969 truck camper that had been sitting in a garage for 30 years. (Looks show room by the way.) The first rain storm, it leaked. All the caulking had dried out over the years. Eternabond has held strong on the joints where he could use it. Some of the joints are aluminum angle that is screwed down on corners. He didn't want to use it there. He had to take these apart and re-caulk them all.

Don't worry about a brand new TT. Use it and inspect your seems regularly.
Old 12-05-2015, 03:18 PM   #18

@cj23andout, thanks for the advise. That sounds like some pretty strong and semi-dangerous stuff right there. But, if it gets the job done... Lol.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:18 PM   #19

Eternabond is not dangerous. I've used it on my old TT roof seems. It works fine if applied as directed. It is a sticky, thick tape. Probably not needed on your new TT for a long time.
For you just a check and cleaning couple times a year for a few years will suffice. Like all RVs, sitting in the sun 24/7 is what wears out the units. Neglect, leaves and trash sitting on the roof for months and years at a time will take their toll. The same goes for your tires and batteries. Keep them inflated properly all the time (check at least every 3 months if sitting) and keep your battery (ies) charged. Charge your battery at least every 3 months also if the RV is sitting. One more thing to check is to disconnect one batter lead when you park it for storage to stop "phantom" loads from draining it while you are away from it. Good luck and have fun with your new RV
Old 12-05-2015, 07:09 PM   #20

Nor'easters Club
Looks like you should be good to walk on the roof. took this from the Avenger web site.
Walk-On Roof With 3/8″ Roof Decking
One-Piece Rubber Roof

Avenger Travel Trailers / Toy Haulers by Prime Time Manufacturing

Enjoy your new camper.
Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:25 PM   #21

@cliffy thanks for the advise.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:26 PM   #22

@englishman thanks for the URL link. Internet has some much info, sometimes I forget to just Google my questions. Lol
Old 12-12-2015, 11:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by billystric View Post
I am new to RV'ing and recently bought a new TT. I was told it would be best to put some kind of sealant on the roof.. Like rhino liner. What is the best product to use on the roof to keep the wear down?

Lol who told you to use rhino liner on the roof they shouldn't be around rvs

Rich,24
2014 wildwood 27rlss
2005 Chevy 2500HD crew cab
rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:26 PM   #24

Quote:
@englishman thanks for the URL link. Internet has some much info, sometimes I forget to just Google my questions. Lol
Google is your best fried for just about everything you need to know about any subject.

To protect your trailer new roof warranty I wouldn't add anything up there that will void that warranty.

My present trailer has never leaked as I do a twice a year roof check on my '97 30' trailers roof. The first time I had to add a bit of Dicor was in '05 to a 6" long hairline crack in the lap sealant on the back where the rear cap ties to the roof membrane.
Since then about every 3-5 years I find another spot or two like that. I've never pulled the OEM sealant off unless it came loose.
I also check all the roof jacks and fixtures for cracks especially plastic types.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:16 AM   #25

@rbleau6885, lol, it was some Joe at the dealership. He seemed legit. Just glad I asked first.
Old 12-14-2015, 06:18 AM   #26

@JIMNLIN, thanks for the info.. Good stuff..
Old 12-16-2015, 10:10 PM   #27

Quote:
So is it safe to say that a rhino liner of some sort is a bad idea to put on the roof?
Yes, bad idea.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:19 PM   #28

Travel Trailer Roof Sealant

Quote:
@rbleau6885, lol, it was some Joe at the dealership. He seemed legit. Just glad I asked first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
Google is your best fried for just about everything you need to know about any subject.

To protect your trailer new roof warranty I wouldn't add anything up there that will void that warranty.

My present trailer has never leaked as I do a twice a year roof check on my '97 30' trailers roof. The first time I had to add a bit of Dicor was in '05 to a 6" long hairline crack in the lap sealant on the back where the rear cap ties to the roof membrane.

Since then about every 3-5 years I find another spot or two like that. I've never pulled the OEM sealant off unless it came loose.

I also check all the roof jacks and fixtures for cracks especially plastic types.

Lol. Wash roof with dicor rubber cleaner and when it drys use the dicor roof protectant and check all lap sealant for cracks I do mine roof once a month and like This guy who takes care of his things you'll have a 15 year old TT with no water damage and probably in great shape to. So many people with 3-5 year old units with water damage of bad up keep. Even when new u can get a cracks/gaps in sealants from flexing when I bought my TT new I went over all caulking and check frequently

rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, seal, travel, travel trailer