Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2015, 07:38 PM   #1

Travel Trailer Roof Sealant

I am new to RV'ing and recently bought a new TT. I was told it would be best to put some kind of sealant on the roof.. Like rhino liner. What is the best product to use on the roof to keep the wear down?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2015, 07:49 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
If the Rubber roof is in good condition you only need to clean it twice a year with a roof clean. Best roof is one other use borax a dawn washing liquid. You should also check all of the seals around the edge and around any roof opening/penetrations if there are any sign of cracked seals them with liquid rubber roof or Dicor.

Hope thats helps.

Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:48 AM   #3

This helps a lot. How often do you check for cracks and do they transpire quickly on the roof? My RV is literally 5 months old, it's a 2016 model. I'm sure I'm just being paranoid but like to be prepared (that's my motto). Leave on the level, part by the square. TY
Old 12-04-2015, 06:26 AM   #4

Use dicor rubber roof cleaner and protectant I do my roof once a month and yes check lap sealant on openings and edges of roof also Windows, corner moldings, ect.

Rich,24
2014 wildwood 27rlss
2005 Chevy 2500HD crew cab
rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:04 AM   #5

Wow, it needs to be checked once a month? There's more up keep to an RV then what I thought. Thank you for the advise.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:48 AM   #6
IC2

The roof only needs to be checked occasionally though some tend to do it more often - but that's just their personal feelings. I do ours on a kind of casual basis probably a half dozen times/year - which is whenever I need to get up there for some reason or another. For sure, you do need to do a good check in the spring and fall at a minimum along with giving the roof a wash down with a soft brush and either a car wash soap or, if really dirty, some specialty cleaners, Spic and Span, Dawn dish soap or similar. Just be aware that many of these wash concoctions will strip wax from the trailer side, often leaving streaks. As far as failed sealant - look especially at the front (and, if equipped, rear) caps joint the trailer 'box', around the skylight and any type of rooftop vents. I use the Dicor self leveling stuff. Any RV place has it or you can buy it from AMAZON a little cheaper. Some folks advocate using .303 Protectant on roofs, but it's only a suggestion. Good stuff but ..... Just don't neglect doing this as water leaks will cause nasty rot problems.

Happy camping - but don't forget your maintenance
Old 12-04-2015, 09:16 AM   #7

I'm only as good as the information given. Getting great feedback and learning a lot. Thank You.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:17 AM   #8

So is it safe to say that a rhino liner of some sort is a bad idea to put on the roof?
Old 12-04-2015, 09:47 AM   #9
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billystric View Post
So is it safe to say that a rhino liner of some sort is a bad idea to put on the roof?
If it's a rubber roof - that's a petroleum based truck bed liner and normally black/dark brown and most roofs are white or gray and made of a synthetic rubber called EPDM. EPDM will be destroyed by any petrolem base material. Use only a product made for rubber roofs. If you have a metal roof, rare these days, then silver colored Kool-Seal or the much less expensive stuff (Henry's comes to mind) sold at Lowe's/Home Depot will do the job well. Do not use silicone anywhere unless the manufacturer has used it and then that's even a 'special', usually a marine water immersion product (aquarium sealant will work too).

As you will soon find out, owning an RV is 'different' as there are special products for almost everything - and of course, since the audience is more limited and often more affluent, always costs more. I'm as frugal as anyone and try to find a substitute but more often then not, end up with the RV specific products but do an internet search to see if 'whatever' can be found for less elsewhere, especially if not needed for a while.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:21 AM   #10

@IC2 thank you.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:21 PM   #11

You should be sure if your roof is rated for you to be on top of it as well. Some are, some aren't
Old 12-04-2015, 05:26 PM   #12

Thanks for looking out @smithers.. I'm sure that information should be in that huge packet I got from the dealership.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:29 PM   #13

Nor'easters Club
My dealer recommended cleaning the roof twice a year. but you should check the seam once a month. As for going on the roof call the dealer in might not be in the book. what TT do you have? some of the new models have a PVC roof and not rubber.
Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:13 AM   #14

The make of my TT is Avenger. Thanks for the info. Looks like I'm going to have to call the dealer then. @englishman

Tags
roof, seal, travel, travel trailer