Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2016, 06:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1340 View Post
I am thinking it could be tricky. I'm doing it next week. If need be I'll knock one bolt out. There are no instructions that came with the kit. I am thinking you replace the bolts and bushings on the ends first then do the center/equalizer section. That makes sense to me anyway. Anyone know what the torque is on those bolts?
Google: dexter leaf spring torque specs

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2016, 07:27 AM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
If you raise or lower the axle until you can line up both bolts, they will slide in with a light tap, I sprayed mine with wd 40 tofirst so they would slide in easier. It doesn't matter if you do the outside ones first or last, I have done it both ways and doesn't make any difference. My 7000# axles called for 40 to 50 ft-lbs of torque.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
If you raise or lower the axle until you can line up both bolts, they will slide in with a light tap, I sprayed mine with wd 40 tofirst so they would slide in easier. It doesn't matter if you do the outside ones first or last, I have done it both ways and doesn't make any difference. My 7000# axles called for 40 to 50 ft-lbs of torque.
Frank
Thanks. I actually found some instructions on a similar kit. They suggest starting in the middle. But I am thinking either way is good. I have a small floor jack I'll use to move the axles around. They said 40 ft lbs torque, which sounds small for those. I'll put some blue loctite on the threads.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:36 AM   #18

Did my yesterday. I store my trailer as I have no room at home. I live on a cul-de-sac so I can't work on it at home either. I took it to the parking lot at my church. My old bushings didn't look near as bad as a lot I've seen, but they were worn and cracked. I went with the Mor Ryde wet bolt kit and the Mor Ryde equalizer. I started at about 9:30 AM and took a lunch break and got it finished about 2:30 or so. Could of been earlier, but my cheap 12 ton bottle jack took a dump on me! It blew a seal. I got another cheap chinese 12 ton jack at Lowes. One of these days I'd see if anyone in this country builds a jack. But this cheap Lowes jack (Torin) is cool in that it comes in a carry case that fits in my truck tool box perfectly. I also replaced my wheel bearings and seals on the right side. I went with all Timken stuff, bearings and races. I'll have to do the other side later as I had to go do something else. So not bad for an old fat man. BTW, I could instantly notice the lack of squeaking from the nylon bushings. I had bad squeaks. I also noticed the new rubberized equalizer is amazing! Just a totally different ride. I figured I'd get some advantage from them, but it was much more. Like towing a new trailer.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:40 PM   #19

Totally impressed that you got it done so quickly, and away from home.
And with a 12-ton jack, you could have raised the entire trailer...
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Totally impressed that you got it done so quickly, and away from home.
And with a 12-ton jack, you could have raised the entire trailer...
Joe
I'm sure most of those Chinese jacks could never lift what they are rated at.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:03 PM   #21

Im ordering my mor ryde wet bolt kit and shackles and going to install next weekend. Thanks for the tips here...especially on not using impact on the bolt from the outside
Old 05-07-2016, 07:32 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
Im ordering my mor ryde wet bolt kit and shackles and going to install next weekend. Thanks for the tips here...especially on not using impact on the bolt from the outside
Yes, the bolts are knurled at the head so they don't spin. I used a piece of pipe for a punch to drive them in. The pipe fits over the grease fitting. I think it was about 3/8" plumbing tube.

Tags
travel trailer, travel