Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2017, 05:42 PM   #15

Weight

1 Ton
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2017, 09:59 AM   #16

If you're gonna pull no more than perhaps an hours drive from home base, and you're within your payloads and ratings you'll be fine with a 1/2 ton (assuming 8K lbs here) If you want to drive comfortably, or more than an hour away, a 3/4 ton is the way to go. Like everyone else said, a 1/2 ton can do it, a 3/4 ton can do it and you'll not be a stressed out mess when you're done with the trip.

I did both, I'll never tow that heavy with a 1/2 ton again, just for my own sanity.
MagnaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:16 AM   #17

To be honest—I Tow a 7,500 GVW travel trailer (around ~6,500 loaded for a trip), 31' overall length, with. '13 F150 Platinum 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost with Max Tow and 3.73 rear, using a Blue Ox Sway Pro. It is a good combination with plenty of power and good handling, BUT I would not want to tow anything heavier or longer with my F150 and I believe using a F250 would be better. Don't get me wrong, it's certainly not a "white knuckle experience" and unless there is a lot of cross wind it is a relaxing pull. I just think a 250 would be better.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrances View Post
What is the recommended truck size for towing a 6,000 to 8,000 lb. travel trailer? 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton?
without reading the rest of replies, which i plan to do after posting this, this topic has been THE most frustrating for us, personally.

we are intense, nerdy researchers. lol

we have found there is SO much conflicting/misinformation out there re: tow capacity, tow packages on vehicles and what, EXACTLY a tow *PACKAGE* entails, published tow capacity, actual tow capacity, trailer GCWR and GCVWR, and on and on.

in two months, we have considered buying nissan murano (nope)...then a toyota 4runner (nope)...then a toyota highlander (nope) and have now decided that a 2013-2015 toyota tacoma (with a FACTORY tow package) is our winner. now, to find a 2013-2015 tacoma for sale that actually states it has the factory tow package and not just "trailer hitch".

we've yet to find one that states in the listing that it has a factory tow package, so that means we have to go look at each one that is of interest to us... or hope the seller is honest when we ask if it has the factory tow package.
that's a lot of trips. one would think typing "tow package" somewhere in the description would be a thing. it's not.

but..i digress...

so yeah...2013-2015 toyota tacoma to pull a keystone bullet crossfire 1900RD.

the GVWR of the travel trailer we are looking to purchase is 4,700 lbs. but with the hitch, our body weight (340 lbs for the two of us) and other stuff, the true total weight will be closer to 5,7000.

-jen
brianandjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:40 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post

i wish we would have seen this about 2 mos ago.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:45 PM   #20

I have a 2015 tacoma with the factory tow package. I made sure and it towed my 19rbpr bullet premier great. I wouldn't tow anything bigger though.
smbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Daves 1500 3.0 is a sweet truck his payload can be really low. I get my oil changed at the local Ram dealer and spend some time walking the truck lot. From opening doors and checking payload stickers I find the 1500 3.0 Eco in upper trim levels to have only 1000-1200lbs for CCC. If you take a 6000 lb TT with an average 12.5% tongue weight thats 750 lbs. 1200-750 is 450 lbs. thats what you have left for passengers and gear in the truck.

Exactly why I got rid of my Eco and bought a 2500 CTD.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:52 PM   #22

I wouldn't want to even think of towing with my old 5.4 again. That engine was a slug. I have a new F250 CCLB 6.2 4.30 rear axle. Terrific TV. I was able to order a 250 for less than a 150. No reason to get a 150 from a price point. The mileage will be less but we are towing a trailer so who cares. We!re on vacation.
Your next trailer is always larger and you will run out of carrying capacity pretty quick in a small 1/2 ton.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:58 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbullet View Post
I have a 2015 tacoma with the factory tow package. I made sure and it towed my 19rbpr bullet premier great. I wouldn't tow anything bigger though.

good to hear! we are looking for a 2013-2015 tacoma to tow our planed-to-buy 4700 gvwr keystone.

the problem with looking for tacomas online is, they don't state they have the factory tow package (or not) so it's frustrating. some 2x4's have the tow package and some don't. some 4x4s have the tow package - some don't.
some are trd, some are sport package that also has tow package, some don't...the combinations are plentiful and maddening.

smbullet, how did you, personally, find your 2015 with the factory tow package without driving all over the place looking under the hood of the truck (which shows the extra radiator which comes as part of the tow package)?

we found that asking on the phone or email does not work, as we were told that "yes, its the factory tow PACKAGE", but to arrive and find out it wasn't - they only had a hitch.

-jen
Old 02-18-2017, 07:55 PM   #24

Anything over 7,000 lbs loaded or 30 feet in length, I would consider it to be the the 3/4 ton category. Our is 26' and 6,100 lbs loaded and is pretty comfortable to pull as long as the wind isn't gusting.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:21 PM   #25

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I think it all depends on what else you do with your truck and where you live. If this truck is your daily driver and a pavement princess that you take every day to work and if you travel to places relatively close by to camp and you don't have any mountains to cross then a half ton might be the right truck for you. I had a Toyota Tundra that was fine for my 7000-8000 pound trailer, BUT it wasn't a lot of fun to drive for long distances and if I put much in the bed I was quickly overloaded. I sold it and bought a 3/4 ton and it is great for towing the trailer but not as nice for a daily driver. Just remember that, as others have said, payload includes trailer tongue weight, people, and firewood, generator, spare gas and water etc. that you haul on your camping trip. Those that suggest a 1 ton must like a harsh stiff ride, for a 8000 pound trailer a 1 ton is totally not necessary.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:03 AM   #26

Everyone agrees that more truck is better, you may move up to a bigger TT, safer, so if a 3/4 ton is best for 6,000 pounds, it seems like a one ton is best for 8,000 pounds. He would not notice the trailer back there. Power for mountains. Plenty of margin of error, load all you want, if you buy a bigger TT you probably can tow it. But a dually might be necessary.

But it was tongue in cheek when I recommended it. [emoji6]
Jimbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:52 PM   #27

no doubt about it: for towing, a bigger truck is a better truck. sure, on paper, the new 1/2Ts can pull amazing TTs up to 10k#! but in real life the situation is vastly different. for me the issue is stopping power, stability, control. thus, I go with diesel trucks only, as these have exhaust brakes. going up a Rocky mountain is one thing, coming down is altogether another thing - quickly a catastrophe in rain and wind if no exhaust braking. diesel or no, the rule of thumb is always buy more truck than you think needed, as your life and the lives of others depend on this decision.
bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:28 PM   #28

My Flagstaff 26FKWS (29'11" hitch to bumper) has a GVW of 7300 lbs. I'm pulling it with a 2016 F-150 Platinum 3.5 EB that is completely stock. I AM inside all weight limits. Rather than buying a bigger truck, I spent more on a ProPride hitch, one of the two safest hitches on the market in my opinion.
I've been passed by every kind of semi on the road. I've driven at 65 MPH with 30+ crosswinds (not including gusts).
Haven't had a hint of tail wag the dog. Longer trips, 5-7 hours, are only slightly more fatiguing than driving without a trailer.
I keep hearing about folks with ball mount style hitches say "get a bigger truck". I am happy with mine - and it is a great daily driver.

Tags
tow, towing, travel, travel trailer