Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #57

That's right. Our first camper, we were able to towering our mini van. After two yrs with it, we wanted a bigger camper, but we couldn't justify the cost if buying & driving a larger tow vehicle that would also be our daily driver. In our case a motor home was more economical.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #58

We just went back to a TT after having many units including 5ers and A Class. The reduced cost of maintaining and insuring the MH and toad while owning a truck made sense. Set up is about the same for both these days with power jacks and such. The costs of insurance is way less plus getting better fuel milage with truck. Overall savings is near two grand a year AND trailer is $60,000 less than MH was.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
I think this is an excellent point, but I see the flip side. There are SO many mid-size SUVs like the Toyota 4Runner(LexusGX), VW Toaureg and many others that can easily tow a 25'TT and are as good a daily driver as most sedans. I commute 62 miles round trip every day, average 23mpg, have heated seats, Nav, backup camera for easy hitching and every other gadget I could want +room for the family and dogs. On Fridays I drive straight from the office to the storage place to get my TT. Back at the house, I drop the trailer in the driveway and pull into the garage.

This argument considers that most families these days have a 1/2 ton or capable SUV. If not, it's quite a different story.
But to your point, it makes NO sense to buy a superduty truck to tow a fithwheel in this scenario... Unless you have to own one for work or something.
Re: the bold, correct. My point exactly.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:26 AM   #60

Hi everybody new member here.
I like this discussion and just wanted to add my own thoughts. From my observation the majority of blue collar types tend to own 3/4 ton pickups anyway like myself. I think the people who go out and buy an f-250 just for pulling their trailer 6 times a year are in the minority.

Having said that we bought our first travel trailer this past spring 10yrs old and under 10k. It shines like brand new and looks better than most folks 5 year old trailer. I just took my family up and down the east coast this summer for less than 10k and looked mighty good doing it. We've started making memories for a lifetime.

If I didn't already own a truck we probably wouldn't be camping as a DECENT motorhome is out of reach for many especially for someone who is 30 years old.

If I were to buy a motorhome in my current financial situation it would have to be 12-15 years old. My wife and I have already decided it is better for us to have a newer 1ton or 3/4to truck and older trailer. If the older trailer starts having issues we didn't intend on keeping it that long anyway so we would just sell it and get another vs. being commited to a 30-40k 15 year old coach.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Watch out for the ratings. Some SUVs can tow the weight but are squirrely when handling the length. I had that situation years ago when I had a large Chevy Blazer that was based on the full sized pickup. It had a short wheelbase and the trailer was pushing it around all the time but it had the 350 V8 so it had the towing power.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #62

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Just my HO...

I will just chime in here to say, as many others have, that I have gone full course through the rv life, tent, pop-up, TT's and MH. We made the decision, reluctantly, a year ago to go to a Class A MH. Was at point where I was looking at new trailer and truck, whew, no bargain. When I poked around I found that I could find a good quality, low mileage class A for less than the truck would run. Weighed the pros & cons, we travel a fair amount annually and enjoy the camping/rv lifestyle. One consideration was up coming trip with daughter, her spouse and 2 grands to Disney. Would require truck/trailer and another vehicle, as opposed to all going in MH. For that and many other reasons went with MH and haven't regretted it for a moment, first year down, 7,600 miles on MH and still happy we switched.

I will disagree with a few prior comments though, TT's can be found that have quality of build and components on par with MH's, in my experience hold value very well. I bought my last Sunnybrook (27FKS) had it for 5 1/2 years, sold it for same exact amount I purchased it for, cost me 4 tires in 5 1/2 years!! With 9600 tow capacity in your SUV (sounds high to me) will be restricted in trailer size for what I consider high quality trailer (to me Lite = cheap construction). Probably 25-27 foot range in good quality trailer with one slide. Vs 35 or so in MH. GENERATOR, big bonus for type of travel you anticipate. Economics, my truck/trailer combo was delivering about 8MPG, my gas MH is a consistent 7.5 with toad. Some serious consideration is maintenance, but in my opinion not significantly higher in MH till tire time comes!! BIG DIFF.

Convenience, here is the big gain, as mentioned before, hook/unhook, lining up, electric brakes, jacks, etc... with MH I have my toad unhooked in 2 mins (blue ox tow bar, four down towing chevy malibu) and park MH push button for jacks and water/elect...done. Love this part.

Last bit of opinion - I stopped deciding what I would do based on ability to help my kids a while back, nothing personal here but true. I also decided that I am only gonna get one crack at these opportunities to travel and enjoy "fruits of my labors", as my uncle used to tell me "do it now, you'll be a long time dead.." Not lecturing, just opining.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #63

The wife and I would much rather have a class A than a TT or 5th and I'm not saying any type of rig is better than another, but I was thinking today about another advantage to a trailer. It's $12 per year for a tag here and inspection is around $36. Thats how I sold the idea of buying a trailer to my wife but now she likes to camp.

Also trailers don't have to have insurance here. So if your family gets busy with other stuff or your working alot more and don't have time to use it It tends to be much less of a waste than a motorhome with a power train and generator etc collecting dust and brake parts freezing up from sitting for long periods of time. I really think a MH forces you to use it and I'm sure this isn't even an issue for folks who are retired or can take off lots of time.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:33 PM   #64

2500HD, you bring up some very valid points - from a perspective I don't see or consider often? Nice job...
Old 10-26-2013, 04:48 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
2500HD, you bring up some very valid points - from a perspective I don't see or consider often? Nice job...
Thanks. I am on my first camper but i'm not new to the rv world
Old 10-26-2013, 05:32 AM   #66

Not to mention your tow vehicle can go to town without having to buy another car to drag along! Unhooking a TT is easier than disconnecting a towed car, too![/QUOTE]

Either way your towing something.
Indy1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy1951 View Post
Not to mention your tow vehicle can go to town without having to buy another car to drag along! Unhooking a TT is easier than disconnecting a towed car, too!

On the bold, anyone with a modern tow bar pulling a toad 4 down might dispute that, I'm sure! A minute or so and mine is able to roll? Hooking it up only slightly longer, and that's not as critical as lining a ball up on a coupler! If it's within about 6" or so of being optimal, you can hook it up as is?

If you get a chance, check it out. It doesn't sound like you've seen one?
Old 10-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
Most important factor being cost, I would go for the TT. Otherwise you have to take all the tidbits of info and decide what is best for you. If cost were not a factor I would opt for the MH and a 4 wheels down toad.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #69
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Throw all the opinions out the window because they are based on preference and experience.
It all comes down to what you can afford to buy and maintain.

However, If you polled only people who have owned and experienced every mode of camping abode from tents, TT's, 5'ers, Class C's, Class A Gassers to finally Class A DP's, having the Class A DP will be the one you will want to end up with. There is a reason why we have ended up here after trying all others. I've rarely ever heard of someone selling their coach to by a truck and 5'er or TT.
It amazes me that people with no experience with a Class A DP can offer an opinion that something else is better.

Like I said, It all comes down to what you can afford to buy and maintain. For me, it's about comfort and ease of use.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I've rarely ever heard of someone selling their coach to by a truck and 5'er or TT.
It is not as rare as you think and we may be joining that club. There have been alot of good posts here that should not be tossed aside as you mentioned because they could really help the OP understand pros and cons of each which could help in the personal decision to purchase one or the other.

Tags
motorhome, travel, travel trailer