Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #71

Well my opinion is that trailers were designed, engineered and built to be towed.

Cars? ...not so much

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #72

We went from a gas coach to a diesel pusher to a trailer.

We have a post on our web-site with our history & rationale.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #73

Mid Atlantic Campers
Make mine a TT

Went from a pop-up to boat to MH to hybrid and now TT. Loved them all at that time. At this time we will stay with our TT until.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:44 PM   #74

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
I love my duramax truck so I haul a TT. Had a diesel pusher and could not work on it because if size of tools. Could not change a tire on the road. Costs too much to naintain and could not sit close enogh to the wife. Bought my current TT so I do not have a payment. Paid 4000 cash and 2000 in repairs. Tore it apart and built it to my liking. I can fix anything on this TT along the roadside so I am happy with it.
ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #75

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Well my opinion is that trailers were designed, engineered and built to be towed.

Cars? ...not so much
Maybe so but cars pull behind a motorhome safely with no wind drag or sway. Most travel trailers do not pull well due to lack of knowledge on how to set them up to the tow vehicle and or lack of proper equipment. ( usually due to cost).
Old 10-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #76

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
Maybe so but cars pull behind a motorhome safely with no wind drag or sway. Most travel trailers do not pull well due to lack of knowledge on how to set them up to the tow vehicle and or lack of proper equipment. ( usually due to cost).
MOST? Care to provide a link that can support that? Some, yes, maybe even many, but most? I don't think so.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #77

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
MOST? Care to provide a link that can support that? Some, yes, maybe even many, but most? I don't think so.
Do I need to provide a link if I downgrade most to many? It is very easy to spot an unsafe tow setup on the highway. The trailer is fighting to get free like an untrained puppy wearing a halti for the first time. Most that I see on the highway have that sway especially on a windy day. A good set up trailer will follow in line perfectly with no sway at all. Most ( or many) Rv accidents involve travel trailers. It may sound like I am negative on tts but I actually like them and may get one in the future but I will be one of the few safe ones out there . We enjoy the class A but I like having a truck and tts are a huge cost savings over class A mhs especially if you already have the truck.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #78

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
Do I need to provide a link if I downgrade most to many? It is very easy to spot an unsafe tow setup on the highway. The trailer is fighting to get free like an untrained puppy wearing a halti for the first time. Most that I see on the highway have that sway especially on a windy day. A good set up trailer will follow in line perfectly with no sway at all. Most ( or many) Rv accidents involve travel trailers. It may sound like I am negative on tts but I actually like them and may get one in the future but I will be one of the few safe ones out there . We enjoy the class A but I like having a truck and tts are a huge cost savings over class A mhs especially if you already have the truck.
Don’t mean to pick on you, I really don’t, but your statements are misleading, and I would not want to see the OP get an wrong impression of any type of unit.

In the words of Ronald Reagan: "There you go again."

Most accidents are TTs? Again, I have to ask you to prove that. I have seen a lot of Class A units on the side of the road, on fire. I read to major RV boards daily and see accidents mentioned often, but the type of RV seems to even. Travel trailers tend to roll over,Class A tend to be on fire. (Both the propulsion plant and the refrigerator.)

Many trailers do not sway in crosswinds. Improperly set up ones do , I agree, but not most. Ours doesn’t and I certainly would put it against any Class A in a crosswind.

I see lots of Class A’s that sway in the wind or just wander within the lane, with no wind. Not most, but some. Some of the blogs I read that have Class A units will complain about crosswinds and some will not even drive in them. I guess some Class A units are not that stable. Both are large boxes going down the road.

“MOST” is just not accurate. Yes, a downgrade to “some” would not need proof as it is most likely to be accurate.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #79
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Folks, all members are welcome to post their thoughts, ideas, position, impressions, facts or what they believe to be facts.

No one has to prove what they post and others are free to post rebuttals to anything they disagree with.......as long as the discussion doesn't get personal.

Thanks!

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:08 AM   #80

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Folks, all members are welcome to post their thoughts, ideas, position, impressions, facts or what they believe to be facts.

No one has to prove what they post and others are free to post rebuttals to anything they disagree with.......as long as the discussion doesn't get personal.

Thanks!
I only asked for "proof" to gather more information about something presented as fact that was, more than likely, an opinion. No problem with presenting an opinion. Heck knows I have enough of them to go around and "most" are probably wrong. LOL

Sorry. I felt we were discussing and debating. Did not mean to get personal, and, respectfully, I don't think I did. There was no name calling, etc. on either side.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #81

Hello Folks,
I'm the newbie that originally made the post request. I was told by others that rv people are the most helpful and kind travelers that exist. How true! I've been amazed at the number of responses. My wife and I have read every comment and it helped us tremendously!

Here's what we finally ended up buying and why. We soon found out that our SUV would not pull the size of trailer or 5th wheel we wanted. For various reasons we were looking into 35 - 40 foot mh, tt, or 5th wheel.

Based on your comments and our wants, we narrowed things down to 5th wheels or motorhomes. We were back & forth, back & forth; then on the way home from a 5th wheel dealer while driving a dually diesel pickup truck we were test driving, my wife (who was testing out the ride in the back seats) happened to mention that she wouldn't enjoy sitting back here all day long on a long trip. You see, we occasionally would like to take others with us on trips. We have a married couple who have been lifelong friends; also my sister and her husband; and then there are our married children, some with kids.
Interestingly enough, this was a factor that hadn't crossed our minds until my wife was riding in the backseat of the dually truck. In addition to comfort, she said she'd much prefer conversing with people in a motorhome. Plus, we'd need to have an additional car following the 5th wheel if we took more than three people with us. While, taking others with us will happen only about 15% of the time, it's an important 15%! We got home and called the motorhome dealer and said yes to the 40 foot Tiffin Phaeton mh we had been considering.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and suggestions. From what I can tell, any rv can fit the need of people depending on their wants, needs, and desires. No one really need be wrong in their choice of rv.

I'm sure all these posts will be of great help to others looking to make a buying decision.

Kudos to you all!
Larry
Old 10-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #82
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the interesting update.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #83

iRV2 No Limits Club
irh 111,

Thanks much for your update. We all now know "the rest of the story."

You are absolutely right when you said: "From what I can tell, any rv can fit the need of people depending on their wants, needs, and desires."

There is no right answer that fits everyone. The important thing is that you make the right decision for you.

Let the memories begin.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:06 PM   #84
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrh111 View Post
Hello Folks,
I'm the newbie that originally made the post request. I was told by others that rv people are the most helpful and kind travelers that exist. How true! I've been amazed at the number of responses. My wife and I have read every comment and it helped us tremendously!

Here's what we finally ended up buying and why. We soon found out that our SUV would not pull the size of trailer or 5th wheel we wanted. For various reasons we were looking into 35 - 40 foot mh, tt, or 5th wheel.

Based on your comments and our wants, we narrowed things down to 5th wheels or motorhomes. We were back & forth, back & forth; then on the way home from a 5th wheel dealer while driving a dually diesel pickup truck we were test driving, my wife (who was testing out the ride in the back seats) happened to mention that she wouldn't enjoy sitting back here all day long on a long trip. You see, we occasionally would like to take others with us on trips. We have a married couple who have been lifelong friends; also my sister and her husband; and then there are our married children, some with kids.
Interestingly enough, this was a factor that hadn't crossed our minds until my wife was riding in the backseat of the dually truck. In addition to comfort, she said she'd much prefer conversing with people in a motorhome. Plus, we'd need to have an additional car following the 5th wheel if we took more than three people with us. While, taking others with us will happen only about 15% of the time, it's an important 15%! We got home and called the motorhome dealer and said yes to the 40 foot Tiffin Phaeton mh we had been considering.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and suggestions. From what I can tell, any rv can fit the need of people depending on their wants, needs, and desires. No one really need be wrong in their choice of rv.

I'm sure all these posts will be of great help to others looking to make a buying decision.

Kudos to you all!
Larry
Congrats Larry on your decision and purchase.
May you have many safe travels!

Tags
motorhome, travel, travel trailer