Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2013, 06:30 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
How did it go from that to hitch talk?
I feel a safe tv to tt setup is relevant in making a decision between motorhome or TT. If you make the decision to go TT over motorhome you might go into a dealer purchase a nice TT with the perfect layout only to be disappointed with how it handles on the highway. My first TT was a nightmare to pull and if I ever go back to a TT, I now have the knowledge and experience necessary to purchase a safe setup. ( something dealers have or don't have but don't share because they don't want to scare you off with the cost) On the other shoe alot of class A motorhomes handle poorly in cross winds.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2013, 07:06 AM   #44

I'll tell you how we made the MH vs. TT decision.

The absolute biggest factor was that we could never justify owning/driving a decent tow vehicle as a daily driver for the 6+ months a year when we were NOT on the road? Didn't want to deal with parking something that size in our normal day to day routine? Didn't want to deal with that around town gas mileage in our day to day routines?

We went with a MH and toad. The toad is a compact SUV w/AWD and used as a very versatile daily driver. It gets GREAT gas mileage (24+mpg), tows 4 down, is comfortable, easy to park, and sits high enough to be easy to get in and out of after a long drive.

The MH cost us about what a decent pick up would have? It gets about the same mileage a loaded tow vehicle gets, but does that only when we're actually on the road, between destinations! All the conveniences of traveling in a MH apply - including the ability to just pull in and go to bed if the weather is bad, and ease of leveling?

Once we arrive at our destination, we're back into the daily driver for same reasons it makes a great daily driver (gas mileage, comfort, versatility, and easy parking)! Day trips into unknown, possibly congested areas way less intimidating driving that! Navigation on narrow mountain roads like driving a sports car?

Works for us anyway. It sounds like you're approaching the decision with an open mind. Have fun making it! There's a ton of stuff to consider to doing it right either way you go! -Al
Old 10-23-2013, 07:42 AM   #45

Yep, it's all about personal preference & lifestyle, how much will you be using it etc.
I think the biggest deciding factor is if you already have a suitable tow vehicle . If you do, then by all means, a trailer might be the perfect marriage for the truck. If not, well how much is that truck going to cost to pull the trailer you want.
When we go full timing , we would want either a 5er or class A MH. I think the MH will suite us better. Here's my logic.
A suitable used 5er will run us about 30k & a suitable used 1 ton truck is going to run about the same, so about 60k. I can get a suitable used class A for that or less, & we'll already have a dinghy.
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
My goal is to trade up from our small class c to an Airstream.

Why do the guys with huge diesel class a's hang out in the trailer section telling people what to do?
Yep, we just sold our Airstream. With that attitude you will fit right in.

Airstream Trailer & Motorhome Owners Community

Check this forum out.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #47

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
AS with others, it is contingent on what you start with and the intended usage. We have always had a 1/2 ton truck in the family. It is a daily vehicle - 365 days of the year. It can pull our 18ft fishing boat or the 14ft travel trailer - both are about the same length - which are occasional vehicles used about 30 days of the year. The TT was half the cost of the boat, btw.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #48

Thanks for the link. I've been going to Air forums for 6 or 7 years now. A very good site.

I should have been more clear and said an Airstream Travel Trailer. I guess they did make motor homes before being swallowed up by Thor, where they posed too much of a threat to the other Thor properties.

Even though we have a class c my preference is for travel trailers and personally a class a behemoth doesn't make financial, logistic or environmental sense for me.

Best wishes in your search for the right RV for your needs and desires.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #49

The misses and I have done many days worth of research into what we wanted to purchase and it came down to size, drivability for her, and can we full time in it 24/7/365. For us the most sense was a big DP. We weren't worried about storage so much as we wanted the sense and feeling of a home. The DP's felt like rolling condo's on wheels and that's what sold us. Creature comforts. We have to budget a little more but that's not a concern. We'll sock it away and have fun with what we have. The toad is already bought and will be paid for when we buy the big boy so that's not an expense for us when the time comes. I would suggest doing a lot of research and then going with what your heart tells you then make sure the checkbook can follow. Talk to people, ask a ton of questions like you have already and then digest. Then if needed start the process over again. Eventually you will make a decision that the whole family can live with. And most of all, have fun even doing the research.
Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #50

It's very possible, even likely, the first one won't be the right one. You'll learn as you go what you wish you had
Old 10-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
Thanks for the link...I guess they did make motor homes before being swallowed up by Thor, where they posed too much of a threat to the other Thor properties.

Best wishes in your search for the right RV for your needs and desires.
Just a fact check...
Thor was created in 1980 when Wade F. B. Thompson and Peter Busch Orthwein acquired Airstream. The name "Thor" combined the first two letters of each entrepreneur's name.

Class A motorhomes were made by Airstream for many years under Thor management including the very popular Land Yacht. That line ended around 2005 due to failing sales BUT, Airstream still makes Class B motorhomes today.
See: Airstream, Inc :: Motorhomes

Airstreams are VERY nice rigs for full-timers with very high quality construction.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #52

Great information Scarab. Thanks.

One more comment in favor of trailers.

It seems to me that with a truck and trailer, if your engine blows up, you can just go get another truck quickly and cheaply if you had to. Or put the trailer in a park and stay there while the truck gets repaired.

With a big motorhome you can't just 'switch out the truck'. Plus it's not easy to stay in a motorhome while the engine is being repaired.

I have only known a dozen or so people with class-A diesel motorhomes but all of them, even the Monaco and Prevost owners, have had big repair bills for those engines or other systems. They are always talking about their breakdown 'adventures'. I feel the stories are included with the $300,000 price tags.

Just my observations.

-Bill
Old 10-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #53

After reading all these informative posts- TT is still the way we roll. Good luck in your decision and have fun!
Mossy cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is my opinion after having owned both travel trailers up to 29' long and Class A motorhomes up to 39' long. There are several considerations involved. The first is what can you afford? The next is convenience and comfort. We loved our trailers and we could afford them at the time. The problems with them were quality and handling. Try driving downhill on a sweeping turn. The trailer wants to push you in a straight line. A unit that bends in the middle (between tow vehicle and trailer) will be affected more by wind and passing vehicles/trucks. The setup when you get to camp is longer and harder. The good thing is that you can take your tow vehicle to almost any mechanic and still live in your trailer. A motorhome on the other hand handles MUCH better. You will be more relaxed at the end of the day than you will be if you tow a trailer. My wife can get up and use the bathroom or get a snack or bottle of water when I am driving. I sit higher and have a better view of the road and scenery. When I get to camp I can delay setting up if the weather is bad because of the built in amenities and the fact that we are already in the living area. We can push the button and become level. We can turn on the inverter and have power. I can unhook the toad in a couple of minutes. A toad is much more comfortable and will get better mileage than having to drive a Suburban or pickup. The toad is more usable at home too. Anyway, as others have said. The decision is up to you and what is important to you is not necessarily what is important to someone else. Only you can make the decision. Have fun RVing!
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #55

Yep all good points on both sides. The only arguement that doesn't always hold water is the aeguement that a trailer is cheaper. Otherwise it's a matter of personal preference & lifestyle.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
I'll tell you how we made the MH vs. TT decision.

The absolute biggest factor was that we could never justify owning/driving a decent tow vehicle as a daily driver for the 6+ months a year when we were NOT on the road? Didn't want to deal with parking something that size in our normal day to day routine? Didn't want to deal with that around town gas mileage in our day to day routines?

I think this is an excellent point, but I see the flip side. There are SO many mid-size SUVs like the Toyota 4Runner(LexusGX), VW Toaureg and many others that can easily tow a 25'TT and are as good a daily driver as most sedans. I commute 62 miles round trip every day, average 23mpg, have heated seats, Nav, backup camera for easy hitching and every other gadget I could want +room for the family and dogs. On Fridays I drive straight from the office to the storage place to get my TT. Back at the house, I drop the trailer in the driveway and pull into the garage.

This argument considers that most families these days have a 1/2 ton or capable SUV. If not, it's quite a different story.
But to your point, it makes NO sense to buy a superduty truck to tow a fithwheel in this scenario... Unless you have to own one for work or something.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, travel, travel trailer