Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #29

I was just reading on Hensley's site about sway, seems logical that if I am hit with a suitably large enough gust that my trailer could begin to sway. I buy that, but isn't that possibility still present with a 5er? You still have a pivot point, its just farther forward.

Anyway, this is not the thread for discussing that. Sorry I derailed the topic for a moment.
mattholew is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #30

Texas Boomers Club
The "pivot point" on a 5th wheel is above the rear axle centerline (actually, 2" to 4" forward of the rear axle typically), not at the back bumper. That's why the 5th wheel isn't prone to sway and is the geometry the Hensley hitch attempts to emulate.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:14 AM   #31

Looking around for a good hitch I found the Pull Rite, looks pretty good to me, basically turns a tongue into an inverted fifth wheel. Anyone have experience with these?
Old 07-02-2011, 07:47 AM   #32

Texas Boomers Club
I'm sure that THIS INDIVIDUAL never thought that anything would get him, either. That's why it's best to err on the side of safety as far as weight distribution, sway control, quality trailer brake controllers, TT tires, etc. are concerned.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:05 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattholew View Post
Looking around for a good hitch I found the Pull Rite, looks pretty good to me, basically turns a tongue into an inverted fifth wheel. Anyone have experience with these?

The PullRite moves the pivot point to about 11 inches behind the rear differential of the tow vehicle. Of the three (Hensley, ProPride and PullRite) it actually moves the pivot point not just projecting the pivot point. However, with it comes some other issues. It weighs almost 400 pounds almost twice the other two hitches, is made for a specific tow vehicle and to that end is not easily transferable among vehicles, often requires modification to exhaust and, for some pickups, relocating the spare tire, and while the HA and PP stay with the trailer, the PR stays with the tow vehicle. Backing up is much more fifth wheel like than with a TT as the pivot point is much closer to that found with a fifth wheel. Essentially it is a fifth wheel hitch under the truck bed, not above.

In some cases, there can be ground clearance or GVWR/payload considerations as the hitch is mounted below the existing bumper and the weight for a half ton truck would take a noticable bite out of the payload values. As far as MSRP, it is also the most expensive of the three hitches, but it comes with at least one model that is rated to 20000 pound towing. It is a very stout hitch for serious towing.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:06 AM   #34

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
I'm sure that THIS INDIVIDUAL never thought that anything would get him, either.Rusty
Geez, I hate to see accidents like that. Being a solo traveler, I can give up the "room" for peace of mind. I actually gave my mountain directory to someone out west because I just don't have to worry with my set up. Gone are the days of worrying about what mountain is in front of us. I'm at "overkill" point, but I like not giving a thought to whether I can sail up and down grades. The one saving factor (having owned a Class A) is that no one is in the trailer which usually gets the brunt of the accident. Be careful, everyone.
HoboPals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:55 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtandem

The PullRite moves the pivot point to about 11 inches behind the rear differential of the tow vehicle. Of the three (Hensley, ProPride and PullRite) it actually moves the pivot point not just projecting the pivot point. However, with it comes some other issues. It weighs almost 400 pounds almost twice the other two hitches, is made for a specific tow vehicle and to that end is not easily transferable among vehicles, often requires modification to exhaust and, for some pickups, relocating the spare tire, and while the HA and PP stay with the trailer, the PR stays with the tow vehicle. Backing up is much more fifth wheel like than with a TT as the pivot point is much closer to that found with a fifth wheel. Essentially it is a fifth wheel hitch under the truck bed, not above.

In some cases, there can be ground clearance or GVWR/payload considerations as the hitch is mounted below the existing bumper and the weight for a half ton truck would take a noticable bite out of the payload values. As far as MSRP, it is also the most expensive of the three hitches, but it comes with at least one model that is rated to 20000 pound towing. It is a very stout hitch for serious towing.
Wow, those are some serious drawbacks for the cost of the unit. When trying to find out what would be the best hitch to use I noticed quite a few people like the Equal-I-zer. Any experiences with this one or something similar?
Old 07-05-2011, 08:24 AM   #36

Many use the equalizer. I have a 1200/12000 and would never consider it in any contention for being the 'best' hitch to use nor would I purchase it again. It is simply friction based and, at least mine, has continual maintenance issues with loosening of the L brackets. It is inexpensive if that is part of the defination of 'best'.

I would seriously consider the Hensley or ProPride. Sometimes Hensley provides remanufactured previoulsy owned hitches at a lower cost. If price were an object, look at the Reese dual cam or straight bar hitch or the Husky Centerline. They are not the best hitch money can buy but many are happy with the way they preform.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:12 PM   #37
CD

IMHO a simple hitch ( not light) is adequate if you have enough TV and enough tire cap (on both TV and trailer). I have 2 equipment trailers that I tow without WD bars or sway bar. Our 28’ TT handles OK without but I use them. Trailer tires are bare min cap for the TT. It’s my opinion that the expensive hitches, which may do a very good job, are the “bandade approach to the problem. Truck & trailer rigs (big trucks but not 5thW) don’t use WD hitches or sway bars. Most trailers have long tongues and the trucks are heavy enough and have enough tire cap to control them.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
In a perfect world with a perfectly balanced trailer, a TT should not sway. But I have not found the perfect world. You get the wrong blast of wind at the wrong time and you start to sway, it is too late to wish you had a sway control device. So it is better to error on the side of caution; a decent sway control hitch set up properly is pretty cheap insurance. So I would never tell some one to tow a TT without a WD or sway control just because I had gotten by with it so far.

Towing an equipment trailer is a lot different than towing a TT. Also a 28' trailer with a 3500 Dodge is a lot different than with a 1/2 ton truck.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:04 PM   #39
CD

Ken
I totally agree with you (I can’t think of any time I have disagreed with you). My point (however poorly stated) was to incourage use of a bigger/heaver TV and higher cap tires where the sway bar and WD hitch is a good addition rather than a necessity. It’s my opinion that if the TTs were built with a little more hitch weight ( like the equipment trailer) instead of almost balanced over the axles (like a teater totter) they would handle better but would be too much for 1/2T PUs. I’m here to tell you, our 28” TT is too much for a 1/2T PU. I towed it with a 3/4T and after getting the 1T I realized how marginal it was. I moved it around here on the farm with SIL’s 1/2T and I wouldn’t ever consider getting out on the road with it.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:20 AM   #40

Thanks, for all the responses. We bought a 5th wheel for ourselves and a 19 ft. Travel trailer for our son.
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #41

Sway is swaying out of control!

I detect some paranoia in terms of sway. I am new to TT travel. just recently took a 700 mile trip with no problems regarding sway. I have a 28 ' bumper pull with load equalizer hitch and no sway bar attached. Again, no problems. Of course she does wiggle a bit from time to time but no major swaying, even when passed by semi's. maybe I'm just lucky!!
made2care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #42

Much better to err on the side of paranoia when discussing sway. I saw you tow your 28' TT with a 1/2 ton Nissan. We towed our TT with a 1/2 Tahoe before upgrading to a 3/4 ton Yukon XL. I wouldn't even consider pulling without a sway bar even with the new TT, but definitely with a short wheel base 1/2 ton. I upgraded TV because I didn't feel comfortable with the possibility of sway problems.
Rysh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel