Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2017, 04:43 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Two Honda 2000 Generators

Before I upgraded to a motorhome two years ago, I owned a 30 foot travel trailer that for four years that went "dry camping" seven weekends each fall for LSU football games. For ease of handling (i.e. lighter weight), I used (and still own) a Honda 2000 and a Honda 2000 Companion generator. When connected in parallel, the two became a 4000 watt generator which was more than adequate to operate the 15,000 BTU air conditioner and Keurig at the same time (A/C was running, not starting-up, while the Keurig was brewing). The two Honda 2000 generators and travel trailer served me well through four LSU football seasons until my family out-grew the travel trailer (thanks to some wonderful grandkids appearing!).

To avoid re-filling the fuel tank on each generator every hour, I used a six gallon "feed tank" that is available from RV Parts Country ---- Honda Generator Berg Dual Feed Adapter Kit with 6 Gallon Tank | RV Parts Country During a hot September weekend in Baton Rouge , a full feed tank at 9:00 p.m. would be about 1/3 full at 8:00 a.m. with the A/C running most of the night.
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2017, 05:07 PM   #16

Best VALUE is Champion. Honda and Yamaha are excellent, just high priced.
theoldwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdogboogie View Post
Thank you for the tip daka!! Perfect timing as I've been shopping for the best deal on a Champion 3100 remote start inverter generator for the past week.

With the coupon Overstock emailed I got the remote start Champion for $830.24 shipped! That beat the best price I had found by a good bit. They also sent another 10% off coupon with the order invoice email.

After busting my shoulder up a few months ago and not being able to use a pull start generator I had decided that an electric or remote start generator was the only way to go.

I've owned one of the Champion 2000 watt inverter generators for about 3 years and it has given excellent quiet service and I expect to get the same from the new 3100.

During warm weather I plan to use the 3100 to run the AC and in cool times of the year I can still just use the smaller unit for charging batteries,lights etc.
No problem! It always helps to save a few $$$!
FYI, I leave my generator in the bed of my truck when it is running. The cord from my tt will reach past the front of it to the back of the truck. I just backup the truck, start the generator, roll the rollx cover over it, and hook up the power. It can be pouring down rain and the generator stays dry under the cover with the tailgate down. No need to lift it off/on my truck.
daka320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:32 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Whatever generator you buy please get an inverter quiet style. Nothing is more annoying than leaning back with a cold one in your campsite only to have some Neanderthal two sites away crank up His construction open style generator. Almost as annoying as his loud music that gets blasted so he can hear it over his generator.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:56 PM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
I bought a 3kW Briggs and Stratton generator for $1200 off Amazon. Almost as quiet as a Honda, just as durable, and has a longer run time a lot less expensive. Fully loaded it weighs about 75 lbs.

When I go camping I don't want to be "that guy" running the noisy generator and the Chinese brands are hit or miss on quality. Look at the reviews on Amazon and figure out if you want to risk it. For me it was worth $400 for peace of mind and the pure sine wave output made it easy to pull the trigger. The generator runs quieter than my electric lawn mower when I "exercise" it monthly.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:02 PM   #20

Carolina Campers
Love my Honda eu2800i I bought in March. Runs everything fine. I have 25' TT.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:23 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanion2 View Post
I bought a 3kW Briggs and Stratton generator for $1200 off Amazon. Almost as quiet as a Honda, just as durable, and has a longer run time a lot less expensive. Fully loaded it weighs about 75 lbs.

When I go camping I don't want to be "that guy" running the noisy generator and the Chinese brands are hit or miss on quality. Look at the reviews on Amazon and figure out if you want to risk it. For me it was worth $400 for peace of mind and the pure sine wave output made it easy to pull the trigger. The generator runs quieter than my electric lawn mower when I "exercise" it monthly.

According to the person that answered my email at Briggs and Stratton Their 3000 watt generator is a Chinese generator.

"The product is engineered and supported by our team in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, however the unit itself is produced in China."

The Champion Gens are made the same way according to the company, Designed here, Built in China.

And according to the person I spoke to last week at Electric Generators Direct, Honda and Yamaha have outsourced the manufacturing of their 2000/1600 watt models as well.

He said the Honda model is now built in Thailand and the Yamaha in China.

He did mention that the Yamaha 2400 inverter model and up were still built in Japan as well as the Honda 3000 watt.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:37 AM   #22

Or get this gadget and run your AC on one Honda 2000i:

https://www.microair.net/products/ea...nt=30176048267
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:54 AM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdogboogie View Post
According to the person that answered my email at Briggs and Stratton Their 3000 watt generator is a Chinese generator.

"The product is engineered and supported by our team in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, however the unit itself is produced in China."

The Champion Gens are made the same way according to the company, Designed here, Built in China.

And according to the person I spoke to last week at Electric Generators Direct, Honda and Yamaha have outsourced the manufacturing of their 2000/1600 watt models as well.

He said the Honda model is now built in Thailand and the Yamaha in China.

He did mention that the Yamaha 2400 inverter model and up were still built in Japan as well as the Honda 3000 watt.
And yet the customer reviews for those different generators show a significant difference in both reliability and customer support.

Sure, they out source to China but the design and quality control is still better than the Chinese knock offs. The extra cost is still worth it and your neighbors will thank you for it when someone else starts up their cheap generator.

And if you are really looking for a cheap Chinese knock off Harbor Freight has their Predator 2000 going on a 4th of July sale for $430. They are comparing it to the Honda 2000i but I would be sure to buy the extended warranty and test it each time before you go camping.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:12 AM   #24

Admittedly the Honda/Yamaha's are great. Excellent build quality, etc.
The kicker is when something DOES eventually go wrong. Along with that high entry (purchase) price, the parts for them are VERY expensive.

Not quite as bad as Onan parts (worked for Cummins/Onan for several years as an RV generator tech, and was dumb struck at the parts prices!). We were also the Yamaha dealer, and the prices on the parts for them were staggering as well.

Anyhow, that all being said - I picked up a used Champion a few weeks ago. Looks like they used/stored it somewhere near saltwater, or something else corrosive as the governor springs and mechanism were totally rusted.
I called up Champion (in Canada!) and talked to a lady in parts there. I got a large box of assorted spare parts shipped to me for under $40 including the shipping! Cummins wouldn't even pick up the phone for that much.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:15 AM   #25

Walmart Generators

Due to the amount of salt that I seem to attract on here when I post I need to state this :
"This is what I did. No I didn't consult you. Yes, I did consult my wife. If you don't like what I did I'm sorry. I suggest you submit, in writing, your solutions to my poor life choices"

Ok...so I'm cheap. I had an older Harbor Freight 'construction' type but it wouldn't run everything (13.5k AC). Looked at the nice 'egg' closed generators. OMG. Anywhere from $1200-$1700 (or more) total for a dual or single that would run everything. That's like 15% of what I paid for whole trailer. Searched all over for one that better fit my...life choices about spending money (el cheapo). Here's what I did

This one ( Walmart Powermate https://www.walmart.com/ip/Powermate...rator/45013832 )

$297 + $28 for a 3 year 'no questions' warranty through Wally World (You can take it to a Walmart instead of shipping it to Georgia repair center). I haven't used it but store employee said 'most' times they just give you a new one instead of sending it out and you waiting...IDK yet.

3400 Running watts and 4250 watt surge mode.
Built-in 30amp/120v RV plug
Built-in inverter
@70 pounds (has handles and wheels though)
Will run all night on the 4.5 gallon tank with full load.
LED panel with lots of info
Usual 110v and DC-V ports on front

Ok...It is NOT a whisper quiet one or a Blat-Blat-Blat construction one. Somewhere in the middle. I went to a 4 day drag race (no hookups) dry camping and I left the tt hooked to the back of the truck. The genny was in the truck bed. If I was laying in the camper with the air on I couldn't hear it (15 foot trailer so I was only 10 foot from it). A lot of my friends who use the less expensive genny's take some old plywood, cut it into 24" x 48" pieces and glue sound deadening foam to one side. You can then build a house of cards around 3 sides (leaving muffle side open), this reduces and funnels the sound.

It's not 'that' bad...and I'm only $300 and some change down.
(and yeah...guess me and the 40 or so others at the race were 'neanderthals' since no one I saw or talked to had the expensive generators.)
JayNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
from WA State!

To me it makes sense to get two of the smaller Honda or Yamaha generators for a TT.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:02 PM   #27

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170524_081052334.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	168008
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:09 AM   #28

If it's in the budget... electric start/dual fuel/inverter generators are the way to go.

I have a Champion 3500W electric start/dual fuel/inverter generator. It's a Chinese/ Honda knock off. Comes with a propane regulator and 12v battery maintainer.

If space and adaptability is your limit... Onan would be my choice.

Honda is probably best, the Yamaha is excellent but Champion is very good and 1/2 the price. I also use it at home. I put it in my wagon with a 20lb propane tank and use electric tools around my property.

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer