Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2016, 04:01 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut4speed View Post
I have a 4 point Equalizer brand hitch and I've never encountered sway or squireliness with side winds, passing trucks, going down steep grades, or sudden braking.
I have one too. Can't imagine towing my home without it. My experience with it mirrors yours.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2016, 04:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavenFla View Post
Doesn't seem to be available for more modern Ram 1500s. Then again, the Ram 1500 doesn't use springs.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:11 AM   #17

The focus should be on sway as it effects the trailer first then the vehicle. If sway becomes and issue a vehicle that is "more" controlled and predictable is advantageous for anyone to have. RAS provides that... without a doubt.

In addition If you tow other things as I do, and equalizing hitches are not appropriate (boats), RAS is but one of many suspension additions that help. Most who tow also load the tow vehicle substantially.

20% margin is for dynamic loading not just for power. Conditions not numbers dictate the logic for just about anything.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by roteague View Post
Doesn't seem to be available for more modern Ram 1500s. Then again, the Ram 1500 doesn't use springs.
Your correct, no leaf springs. Air bags is your alternative. You could also get an larger/adjustable sway bar for the rear of your truck... Helwig makes good products.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:42 AM   #19

Again thanks for the comments. I've had a smaller trailer for a while with an equalizer system, so I agree they are a must have, and I will definitely buy one for the heavier trailer I'm going to purchase.

I've decided to purchase the heavier trailer. After reading your recommendations, and ensuring I won't exceed the trucks weight limitations, I think it should be fine. Worst case it doesn't tow as well as I would like, which will give me a reason to buy a new truck (wife might kill me).

I'm still following the tread so will be interested to read more recommendations.

Again thanks!!

*dont mind the typos and mis spelling, typing from an iPhone.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:44 AM   #20

I'll only be towing the trailer so going with the equalizer. That said, I'll keep the airbags in mind, should the truck not tow as well as I would like.

Thank
Old 09-27-2016, 07:45 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavenFla View Post
The focus should be on sway as it effects the trailer first then the vehicle. If sway becomes and issue a vehicle that is "more" controlled and predictable is advantageous for anyone to have. RAS provides that... without a doubt.

In addition If you tow other things as I do, and equalizing hitches are not appropriate (boats), RAS is but one of many suspension additions that help. Most who tow also load the tow vehicle substantially.

20% margin is for dynamic loading not just for power. Conditions not numbers dictate the logic for just about anything.
I'll only be towing the trailer so going with the equalizer. That said, I'll keep the airbags in mind, should the truck not tow as well as I would like.

Thank

Tags
travel, weight