RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2019, 07:51 AM   #1

Traveling with the GAS On or Off

I've heard arguments for both sides. What are your thoughts to the pros and cons for traveling with the gas on, or off, in your travel trailer?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2019, 07:57 AM   #2

On. I always let my refers do their thing.

450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:10 AM   #3

Cool (literally).

I was going to cool the ref before traveling, throw a gallon (jug) of ice in it and shut off the gas. Fill my Yeti with some traveling perishables and carry that in my truck.

I'd MUCH rather leave the gas on while traveling, but I understood that a small leak could create a major issue. Though it was also said to be WAY out of the norm.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:18 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Safety first. I always shut off gas while going down the road. I know I can drive , but there’s no telling what the other guys going to do. A busted gas line with an open tank valve is a recipe for disaster.
pdxgwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxgwj View Post
Safety first. I always shut off gas while going down the road. I know I can drive , but there’s no telling what the other guys going to do. A busted gas line with an open tank valve is a recipe for disaster.
I can't really see me pulling out of the drive-way with the gas on. But a couple of my neighbors thought it was no big deal. They to have or have had trailers and claim to do it. I do my thing, what I think is best for us.

Off.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluWave View Post
Cool (literally).

I was going to cool the ref before traveling, throw a gallon (jug) of ice in it and shut off the gas. Fill my Yeti with some traveling perishables and carry that in my truck.

I'd MUCH rather leave the gas on while traveling, but I understood that a small leak could create a major issue. Though it was also said to be WAY out of the norm.
No, the "NORM" is to run the fridge on gas when driving, a majority of RVsers do that.

There are vehicles that run on CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) that have a much higher flow rate of gas when driving down the road. Both those vehicles as well as your RV have safety features built-in to minimize or stop the flow of gas in case of a line rupture.

And nobody thinks about turning off their gasoline flow in their motorhome or tow vehicle when traveling "in case of an accident", which is more flammable.
tfryman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
And nobody thinks about turning off their gasoline flow in their motorhome or tow vehicle when traveling "in case of an accident", which is more flammable.
More flameable yes, but less likely to have lines compromised by potholes or whatever, no? I'm asking, because this is new to me. What if there's a gas leak at the appliance in the unit from rough traveling? Wouldn't you be pulling a potential bomb?
Old 03-10-2019, 08:38 AM   #8

Quote:
No, the "NORM" is to run the fridge on gas when driving, a majority of RVsers do that.....
I meant for gas leaks to be "WAY out of the norm."
Old 03-10-2019, 08:39 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
No, the "NORM" is to run the fridge on gas when driving, a majority of RVsers do that.

There are vehicles that run on CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) that have a much higher flow rate of gas when driving down the road. Both those vehicles as well as your RV have safety features built-in to minimize or stop the flow of gas in case of a line rupture.

So when you refuel your tow vehicle do you turn your refrigerator off or do risk the burner coming on?
pdxgwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:43 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Back when we had TT's ( before 1988) I always traveled with the gas on. No reason not to as the system is designed, built, tested and certified to be on when traveling.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:54 AM   #11

Propane on, always. The propane system has safety features that shut off the gas flow if a line or appliance leaks. It's actually protected better than the tow vehicle's fuel system.

I don't shut anything off when I'm at the fuel pumps either.
steve52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:57 AM   #12
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve52 View Post
Propane on, always. The propane system has safety features that shut off the gas flow if a line or appliance leaks. It's actually protected better than the tow vehicle's fuel system.

What he said
Old 03-10-2019, 08:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve52 View Post
Propane on, always. The propane system has safety features that shut off the gas flow if a line leaks. It's actually protected better than the tow vehicle's fuel system.

If there's a gas leak in my trailer the gas gets cut off?

If so, is this a required national vehicle safety feature, or is this optional in some trailers?
Old 03-10-2019, 09:19 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Everone says to turn of the appliances at the gas station. The reason I don't worry about it is, For a while,I rebuilt starters for Delta Air Lines. After rebuilding the starter you had to run in the brushes. The sparks before and after running in was unbelieveable. My ref and furnace are 4 feet off the ground. (Remember gas fumes are heavier than air. They stay low on the ground.) My starter is about a foot or so off the ground. If there is a fuel spill, The first guy to start his car and get the heck out of there is going to light the place off. Remember years ago whe there was a LP gas leak in Texas. Cars stopped running because of the of the over rich condition. A guy tried to start his car and blew himself and several others up. If you turn everything off to gas up, GREAT. I am not telling you that you are wrong. Just do what makes you happy.

Tags
gas, travel