Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #1

Tripped GFI

Just got back from camping for the thanksgiving weekend. Returned home and parked the camper, set the jacks and plugged it in. Today I walked by and could hear a clicking sound coming from the refrigerator vent. I went inside and when I turned on the lights they dimmed. I thought I was on battery and the clicking sound was the refrigerator trying to run on gas and the bottle was empty. So I checked the plug to make sure it good, and it was. So went to open the frig and noticed the "check" light was lit. I opened the frig and it cold. I then went to the converter and notice the GFI breaker had tripped. I reset it and turned it on. Lights stop dimming, frig "check" light went out and the clicking noise went out. I remembered that when we arrived at the camp ground last Wednesday, during set up none of my plugs worked because the GFI plug had tripped. I reset and turned it on and had no problem with it the entire 4 days while camping and we had a lot of load on it at times, small heater and wife's hair dryer running at the same time, no problem with GFI.

Can unplugging or plugging in cause the GFI to trip?
Is there any thing else I should check?
Why did the tripped GFI effect the frig and cause the lights to dim?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2013, 03:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cguardia View Post
Can unplugging or plugging in cause the GFI to trip?
Is there any thing else I should check?
Why did the tripped GFI effect the frig and cause the lights to dim?
Plugging and unplugging is not the problem. You might have a short or a wet connection in the wiring. Check with a VOM. If you find nothing, try replacing the GFI.

The lights dimmed & the fridge complained because they were switched to battery power.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:36 AM   #3

There are 6 Gfi protected plugs, and all 6 were used during this pass thanksgiving weekend. I one point 3 were in use at the same time with out any problem. I found the breaker tripped while setting up at campground and again after I parked at home.

Is there something else connected to the GFI breaker other than the 6 plugs?
Old 12-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #4

You probably need a new heating element in the refr. If it has ANY continuity to ground, it is bad, and needs to be replaced.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #5

Update on this issue.
Did lots of research on WF 8955PC converter and how the electrical system is wired. The converter is sharing the breaker that also serves the GFI plugs. When the breaker tripped, killing AC power to the converter, the drained battery, after 2 to 3 days, caused the frig check light to come on and dimming lights.

I have since purchased a new double 15/15 amp breaker and connected the converter to a breaker on its own. That way if a breaker trips again, I'll know if it's a GFI or converter problem. I also didn't like the double 30/20 amp breaker together serving as the main (30) and the A/C (20) together, so I had enough room to put a single full size 20 amp for the A/C.

Now for the issue of the tripped breaker, I do believe it may be the converter that caused it. I checked the output and it is fine, and I turned off the AC going to the converter and it switched over to battery, I also disconnected the battery and ran just off the converter, it was fine then. The only thing I found was the battery water level was low on water, since it had not been checked since we purchased it 2 years ago.

I can only think that if the new breaker for the converter trips, I'll have to change the converter.

Unless someone with a WF 8955PC converter can suggest another check. Could a weak/bad battery cause a problem to a converter when AC is restored after traveling?
Old 12-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
Plugging and unplugging is not the problem.
lynnmor
That is not necessarily true.

I have a GFCI receptacle on my deck at home that will occasionally trip, but ONLY WHEN something is being plugged into it!.
Simply resetting it always allows whatever is plugged in to operate.

IMO, it is probable that the GFCI receptacle has become weak with age/use and needs to be replaced.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 12-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #7

It not the GFI plug, the GFI plug has never tripped, it's the breaker feeding the GFI plug and the converter. That is why I placed the converter on a separate breaker.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a similar problem. I have to make sure the pedestal breaker is turned off before plugging into shore power.

If I don't turn off pedestal power I will trip my GFI in the back bathroom every time.

The other way around this problem is to open the main 50 amp breaker in the coach breaker box before plugging into shore power.

Are you turning off pedestal power before plugging in?
Old 12-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #9

I try to make sure the camp ground breaker is off when plugging in and turn the breaker off when unplugging while at the camp ground. But when I leave or return home I never use the breaker as a switch. This will eventually cause the breaker to weaken or go bad. I'm hoping that the low water level in the battery is causing an issue when the converter is trying to charge the battery. I properly filled the battery yesterday, so I'll see.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cguardia View Post
It not the GFI plug, the GFI plug has never tripped, it's the breaker feeding the GFI plug and the converter. That is why I placed the converter on a separate breaker.
Cgurdia

Because you titled your original post "Tripped GFI"...(not "Tripped Breaker Feeding GFI and converter")......
And because you wrote that you "notice the GFI breaker had tripped".....I concluded your problem was the tripping of the GFCI receptacle.

How could I have made such at stupid mistake?

Sorry!
Mel