Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2017, 01:27 PM   #1

Truck Tire Sizes

Hi,
I was wondering if any one would know if a thinner tire would give me a better grip on wet pavement.
I have a Toyota Tacoma 4 door and a 5500lb travel trailer and I tend to slide at stops and spin on take off! Yes the trailer brakes are working and yes my tires are not so new... Before buying a new set I wonder if I keep my size 265 or would it be better to go thinner like 235
Thanks
FunFinderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2017, 03:52 PM   #2

Sounds like your weight isn't distributed properly.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:05 AM   #3

more rubber = better traction. Go bigger not smaller.

But something doesn't sound quite right. Your trailer brakes may be working but it doesn't sound like they're working properly. What brake controller are you using?
richamor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:46 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Smaller diameter equals more torque and less contact patch so more spinning. Make sure you are running the proper air pressure. The age of your tires can be a factor also they get hard after they age a few years from the heat cycling.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:57 AM   #5

RV Trip Wizard
Grand Design Owners Club
X2 tbos1958, the culprit is more likely to be the coupling set up or load balance. As for the tire size, it will have little effect on your traction issue. The only thing that will change is the overall tire height and only if you go with a lower tire aspect ratio.
Example: a 265/70 may have the same revolutions per mile as a 235/80(not sure if this is even a tire size) but I hope you get the point. Just go with what tire size is posted in the door. Safe travels.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:38 AM   #6

Thanks all :-)
I will first start with new tires, you convinced me to get the original size for my truck.
Then, I'll check into all the other stuff you mentioned one by one
That should do it!
Old 09-06-2017, 09:42 AM   #7

Coupling set up was done by camping world = should be right?
Possibly not enough weight in the back of my truck? But there no more room! 2 generators + gal. spare gas can + firewood + full cooler
Tires, I guess I'll stick with P265/70R/16
Thanks
Old 09-06-2017, 09:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunFinderX View Post
Coupling set up was done by camping world = should be right?
Possibly not enough weight in the back of my truck? But there no more room! 2 generators + gal. spare gas can + firewood + full cooler
Tires, I guess I'll stick with P265/70R/16
Thanks
Your first mistake CW likely did not set your hitch up correcrly. Get some accurate weights and go from there. My guess your far too unloaded on the rear.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:50 AM   #9

Controller is a Tekonsha Voyager and I really don't like it, never have! Camping world said it was the best!!!
But it's very hard to adjust, (my opinion) I play with it every time I tow
The worst part of it is that there is not settings that can be read. Just 2 knobs to turn.
But they do brake and if I brake hard they will lock
Old 09-06-2017, 01:14 PM   #10

I have a 210 wbs and I'm not having any of the problems you describe. I'm using a prodigy p2 controller. I would agree that your not set up correctly. I'm sure that you know to use gentle movements breaking or pulling out. Tire tread design has more to do with traction. Than size.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyone View Post
I have a 210 wbs and I'm not having any of the problems you describe. I'm using a prodigy p2 controller. I would agree that your not set up correctly. I'm sure that you know to use gentle movements breaking or pulling out. Tire tread design has more to do with traction. Than size.

1. What tread design is best for towing on wet roads? I called 3 tire stores, CW and emailed Toyota. None would or could not answer that question!
  2. If I can't trust CW's install where can I get the correct info to see if they did or didn't do the set up correctly? OK no worries, I found a nice video on You Tube from Reese. And it sure looks like my set up is right, but I will double check it all.
Thanks
Old 09-07-2017, 07:14 AM   #12

RV Trip Wizard
Grand Design Owners Club
As for your tire question, no business is going to commit due to liability concerns as they have no way of controlling usage after the sale.
First, there is no perfect tire you will give up something to gain something.
You are lucky to have a great resource in Lake City, Discount Tires has an awesome amount of online educational materials.
Second, when shopping for a towing traction type tire, at minimum look for a load range D tire, then the tread pattern has to provide a way for the water to be channeled outwardly think of it as squeegee but you'll give tire wear on that tread pattern potentially.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:35 PM   #13

Remember as you go down in size, the load capacity of the tire decreases.... you need to make sure you have enough extra capacity when your back to your stock size to support the load your will carry and have some spare capacity...
Old 09-07-2017, 04:31 PM   #14

For your hitch setup you should have a manual that walks you through it step by step. To make sure everything is correct you will probably need to take a trip to the scales too. You may need to rearrange how you pack your TT too.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote