RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-06-2019, 10:55 AM   #1
415
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 21
Trying to choose between Jayco and KZ

We are very new to camping and have owned our 2003 Crossroads for only a few months. We like the Crossroads, but would just prefer something new and a bit smaller and lighter than the 30' 9000 pound Crossroads.

We have narrowed our search to either a Jayco 245RLS or a KZ 241RLLE. The floor plans are nearly identical. The KZ on the dealers lot offers a few things that the Jayco doesn't, including a medicine cabinet, linen storage, sink cover, electric jack, upgraded refrigerator, glass stove cover, 1 large kitchen sink that looks usable compared to the small, unusable dual sink in the Jayco, storage under the dinette seats, LP tank cover. We also prefer the interior look of the KZ as well.

The Jayco has Goodyear tires whereas the KZ doesn't.

The KZ has a black tank flush. Does anyone know if the Jayco does? I haven't found any mention of it online for a 2019 245RLS.

So, we certainly prefer the extra options of the KZ, but how is the build quality of the KZ compared to the Jayco? Do they still have frame crack issues? Is the roof equally as good? Is the overall construction just as good?
__________________

415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2019, 11:14 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 708
Both are Thor products. Build quality is hit and miss these days with virtually every brand out there. I'd be surprised if the Jayco did not have a black flush, but to me it wouldn't be a big deal, they aren't needed anyway.

Get the one you like the most, and make sure to do a very thorough PDI on the unit you are buying.
__________________

steve52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 03:36 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Itchytoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 874
I don't mean to be a contrarian, but are you sure you're ready for a different RV? You said you're very new to RVing, and only have a few months of experience with your current one. I honestly think you would do yourself a favor to just wait a year and get more experience with the one you have before jumping ship. That way you can figure out what you actually want in an RV and what you don't really want even though it sounds neat.



If you know yourself better than I do, which is likely, and have your heart set on a new one, both of those brands can produce wonderful RVs that will provide a decade or more of trouble free travel. However, they can both produce lemons too. Just take an hour or so to look over the trailer before signing the paperwork. The dealer should be able to hook everything up so that you can verify it all works before buying it. If they can't, I'd find another dealer that can. All it takes is an extension cord and a water hose. That's pretty simple.


I also don't know about the black tank flush, but I can tell you that they are overrated. (Prime example of something you might just not care about with more experience.) My current RV has one, but my previous one didn't. Yea, the sensors always showed it 100% full, but you quickly learn when it's actually full and when it isn't. (As gross as it is, it sounds different when you flush the toilet and the tank is almost full. We all learn the sound, then never speak of it again cuz, well, ewww.) I flush the current one out before I tow it somewhere, just because I wanna figure out how long I can keep the sensors working. (Not that I need them.)
__________________
2014 F350 DRW 6.7L CC FX4 King Ranch Ruby Red Metallic 158,000 Miles 4,450 Hours
2018 Cherokee Grey Wolf 29TE | Because I'm home, no matter where I am.
2018 Honda CB650F | Because the truck leans the wrong way when I turn.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 05:15 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
tuffr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Palm Coast Florida
Posts: 6,924
Sounds like the KZ is the winner and I use my black tank flush after every dump. I would not by a trailer without a black tank flush.

My sensors work just fine.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:22 PM   #5
415
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve52 View Post
Both are Thor products. Build quality is hit and miss these days with virtually every brand out there. I'd be surprised if the Jayco did not have a black flush, but to me it wouldn't be a big deal, they aren't needed anyway.

Get the one you like the most, and make sure to do a very thorough PDI on the unit you are buying.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
I don't mean to be a contrarian, but are you sure you're ready for a different RV? You said you're very new to RVing, and only have a few months of experience with your current one. I honestly think you would do yourself a favor to just wait a year and get more experience with the one you have before jumping ship. That way you can figure out what you actually want in an RV and what you don't really want even though it sounds neat.



If you know yourself better than I do, which is likely, and have your heart set on a new one, both of those brands can produce wonderful RVs that will provide a decade or more of trouble free travel. However, they can both produce lemons too. Just take an hour or so to look over the trailer before signing the paperwork. The dealer should be able to hook everything up so that you can verify it all works before buying it. If they can't, I'd find another dealer that can. All it takes is an extension cord and a water hose. That's pretty simple.


I also don't know about the black tank flush, but I can tell you that they are overrated. (Prime example of something you might just not care about with more experience.) My current RV has one, but my previous one didn't. Yea, the sensors always showed it 100% full, but you quickly learn when it's actually full and when it isn't. (As gross as it is, it sounds different when you flush the toilet and the tank is almost full. We all learn the sound, then never speak of it again cuz, well, ewww.) I flush the current one out before I tow it somewhere, just because I wanna figure out how long I can keep the sensors working. (Not that I need them.)
Thanks for the reply! We had discussed several times the possibility of keeping our current TT for possibly a few more years, but then the thought of it being a few years older may make it undesirable as a trade in, and the numbers the dealer gave us looked really good. We also wanted to trade it off while everything worked and had no leaks.

It helps that we live near a large lake and are within 20 to 25 minutes of 6 great campgrounds, so it's (the RV) something we use frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Sounds like the KZ is the winner and I use my black tank flush after every dump. I would not by a trailer without a black tank flush.

My sensors work just fine.
Yep, the KZ won! We went with the 241RLLE which is a really nice floor plan for us, and it's 6' shorter and 3,000 pounds lighter than our old TT.
415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:07 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Itchytoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 874
Congratulations on the new trailer. Have you figured out when and where her maiden voyage will be?
__________________
2014 F350 DRW 6.7L CC FX4 King Ranch Ruby Red Metallic 158,000 Miles 4,450 Hours
2018 Cherokee Grey Wolf 29TE | Because I'm home, no matter where I am.
2018 Honda CB650F | Because the truck leans the wrong way when I turn.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:47 PM   #7
415
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
Congratulations on the new trailer. Have you figured out when and where her maiden voyage will be?
Thank you, the maiden will be in 2 weeks at Rend Lake in Southern Illinois.
415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:20 PM   #8
415
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415 View Post
So, we certainly prefer the extra options of the KZ, but how is the build quality of the KZ compared to the Jayco? Do they still have frame crack issues?
Well after reading of so many Lippert frame crack issues on KZ travel trailers I was quite nervous about what I was getting into since we told the dealer over the phone we wanted the KZ before I knew of frame issues.

I was very happy when I arrived at the dealer and saw that the KZ had a true 1 piece traditional I-Beam running front to back on each side! All of the frame issues were with a frame rail constructed of welding 3 small gauge pieces of metal together.

We got the KZ home Saturday and really like it so far
415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:30 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 574
Congratulations! We loved our KZ. Jayco uses the same frame maker so don’t waste a second worrying about the choice. Heck they are also sister brands both owned by Thor.

Ironically they both used to use Leland frames, until Lippert bought out Leland just to shut them down.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:45 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,606
How what it’s worth my opinion is that the KZ will be more problematic over time. Several relatives had them but upgraded to the Northwoods line. Better but not perfect quality.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:30 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve52 View Post
Both are Thor products. Build quality is hit and miss these days with virtually every brand out there. I'd be surprised if the Jayco did not have a black flush, but to me it wouldn't be a big deal, they aren't needed anyway.

Get the one you like the most, and make sure to do a very thorough PDI on the unit you are buying.

x2 - I used to be a huge Jayco fan and my X23B was a really solid unit; but when Thor bought them the quality went way way way down - I've never been impressed with Thor products and my last Jayco/Starcraft was total junk. I now own my first Rockwood/Forest River and I am very impressed with the solid build.

Do your homework and buy what is right for you. Dealerships really matter, don't overlook that point. I have had excellent dealings with RV One, first in Orlando and then Tampa. In addition to a great deal on both units, both locations provided a very thorough PDI and really great service after the sale. Good luck!
__________________

__________________
Goodbye Suit, Hello RV!!!
Happy1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
jayco



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trying to choose our first coach. Rickndebw Class A Motorhome Discussions 6 10-01-2016 08:37 PM
Trying to choose a new coach, part 2. Rickndebw Class A Motorhome Discussions 13 10-01-2016 07:56 PM
Choose between 21' Bigfoot or 21' Nash? popcan Travel Trailer Discussion 5 08-03-2015 09:10 PM
We're going toad shopping! Help us choose between these four: 4tfamily Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 37 11-23-2014 10:33 AM
Trying to Choose NannyC Travel Trailer Discussion 0 08-12-2011 10:37 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×