Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2019, 09:55 AM   #1

Trying to choose between Jayco and KZ

We are very new to camping and have owned our 2003 Crossroads for only a few months. We like the Crossroads, but would just prefer something new and a bit smaller and lighter than the 30' 9000 pound Crossroads.

We have narrowed our search to either a Jayco 245RLS or a KZ 241RLLE. The floor plans are nearly identical. The KZ on the dealers lot offers a few things that the Jayco doesn't, including a medicine cabinet, linen storage, sink cover, electric jack, upgraded refrigerator, glass stove cover, 1 large kitchen sink that looks usable compared to the small, unusable dual sink in the Jayco, storage under the dinette seats, LP tank cover. We also prefer the interior look of the KZ as well.

The Jayco has Goodyear tires whereas the KZ doesn't.

The KZ has a black tank flush. Does anyone know if the Jayco does? I haven't found any mention of it online for a 2019 245RLS.

So, we certainly prefer the extra options of the KZ, but how is the build quality of the KZ compared to the Jayco? Do they still have frame crack issues? Is the roof equally as good? Is the overall construction just as good?
415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2019, 10:14 AM   #2

Both are Thor products. Build quality is hit and miss these days with virtually every brand out there. I'd be surprised if the Jayco did not have a black flush, but to me it wouldn't be a big deal, they aren't needed anyway.

Get the one you like the most, and make sure to do a very thorough PDI on the unit you are buying.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:36 PM   #3

I don't mean to be a contrarian, but are you sure you're ready for a different RV? You said you're very new to RVing, and only have a few months of experience with your current one. I honestly think you would do yourself a favor to just wait a year and get more experience with the one you have before jumping ship. That way you can figure out what you actually want in an RV and what you don't really want even though it sounds neat.

If you know yourself better than I do, which is likely, and have your heart set on a new one, both of those brands can produce wonderful RVs that will provide a decade or more of trouble free travel. However, they can both produce lemons too. Just take an hour or so to look over the trailer before signing the paperwork. The dealer should be able to hook everything up so that you can verify it all works before buying it. If they can't, I'd find another dealer that can. All it takes is an extension cord and a water hose. That's pretty simple.

I also don't know about the black tank flush, but I can tell you that they are overrated. (Prime example of something you might just not care about with more experience.) My current RV has one, but my previous one didn't. Yea, the sensors always showed it 100% full, but you quickly learn when it's actually full and when it isn't. (As gross as it is, it sounds different when you flush the toilet and the tank is almost full. We all learn the sound, then never speak of it again cuz, well, ewww.) I flush the current one out before I tow it somewhere, just because I wanna figure out how long I can keep the sensors working. (Not that I need them.)
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:15 PM   #4

Sounds like the KZ is the winner and I use my black tank flush after every dump. I would not by a trailer without a black tank flush.

My sensors work just fine.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve52 View Post
Both are Thor products. Build quality is hit and miss these days with virtually every brand out there. I'd be surprised if the Jayco did not have a black flush, but to me it wouldn't be a big deal, they aren't needed anyway.

Get the one you like the most, and make sure to do a very thorough PDI on the unit you are buying.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
I don't mean to be a contrarian, but are you sure you're ready for a different RV? You said you're very new to RVing, and only have a few months of experience with your current one. I honestly think you would do yourself a favor to just wait a year and get more experience with the one you have before jumping ship. That way you can figure out what you actually want in an RV and what you don't really want even though it sounds neat.

If you know yourself better than I do, which is likely, and have your heart set on a new one, both of those brands can produce wonderful RVs that will provide a decade or more of trouble free travel. However, they can both produce lemons too. Just take an hour or so to look over the trailer before signing the paperwork. The dealer should be able to hook everything up so that you can verify it all works before buying it. If they can't, I'd find another dealer that can. All it takes is an extension cord and a water hose. That's pretty simple.

I also don't know about the black tank flush, but I can tell you that they are overrated. (Prime example of something you might just not care about with more experience.) My current RV has one, but my previous one didn't. Yea, the sensors always showed it 100% full, but you quickly learn when it's actually full and when it isn't. (As gross as it is, it sounds different when you flush the toilet and the tank is almost full. We all learn the sound, then never speak of it again cuz, well, ewww.) I flush the current one out before I tow it somewhere, just because I wanna figure out how long I can keep the sensors working. (Not that I need them.)
Thanks for the reply! We had discussed several times the possibility of keeping our current TT for possibly a few more years, but then the thought of it being a few years older may make it undesirable as a trade in, and the numbers the dealer gave us looked really good. We also wanted to trade it off while everything worked and had no leaks.

It helps that we live near a large lake and are within 20 to 25 minutes of 6 great campgrounds, so it's (the RV) something we use frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Sounds like the KZ is the winner and I use my black tank flush after every dump. I would not by a trailer without a black tank flush.

My sensors work just fine.
Yep, the KZ won! We went with the 241RLLE which is a really nice floor plan for us, and it's 6' shorter and 3,000 pounds lighter than our old TT.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:07 PM   #6

Congratulations on the new trailer. Have you figured out when and where her maiden voyage will be?
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchytoe View Post
Congratulations on the new trailer. Have you figured out when and where her maiden voyage will be?
Thank you, the maiden will be in 2 weeks at Rend Lake in Southern Illinois.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415 View Post
So, we certainly prefer the extra options of the KZ, but how is the build quality of the KZ compared to the Jayco? Do they still have frame crack issues?
Well after reading of so many Lippert frame crack issues on KZ travel trailers I was quite nervous about what I was getting into since we told the dealer over the phone we wanted the KZ before I knew of frame issues.

I was very happy when I arrived at the dealer and saw that the KZ had a true 1 piece traditional I-Beam running front to back on each side! All of the frame issues were with a frame rail constructed of welding 3 small gauge pieces of metal together.

We got the KZ home Saturday and really like it so far
Old 07-20-2019, 08:30 PM   #9

Congratulations! We loved our KZ. Jayco uses the same frame maker so don’t waste a second worrying about the choice. Heck they are also sister brands both owned by Thor.

Ironically they both used to use Leland frames, until Lippert bought out Leland just to shut them down.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:45 PM   #10

How what it’s worth my opinion is that the KZ will be more problematic over time. Several relatives had them but upgraded to the Northwoods line. Better but not perfect quality.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 04:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve52 View Post

x2 - I used to be a huge Jayco fan and my X23B was a really solid unit; but when Thor bought them the quality went way way way down - I've never been impressed with Thor products and my last Jayco/Starcraft was total junk. I now own my first Rockwood/Forest River and I am very impressed with the solid build.

Do your homework and buy what is right for you. Dealerships really matter, don't overlook that point. I have had excellent dealings with RV One, first in Orlando and then Tampa. In addition to a great deal on both units, both locations provided a very thorough PDI and really great service after the sale. Good luck!

Tags
jayco