Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2017, 11:08 PM   #1

Trying to narrow down........Thoughts?

So, we are trying to narrow down our decision on make a model of travel trailer. There are so many TT out there that we may be missing some that may fit our needs and wants.

We are pretty specific on what we want in our TT. jere are the must haves.
-Rear Living model.
-Must have Dinette or table with couch and recliners/theater seating.
-Double door or 12 Cu Ft Refer.
-King size bed or ability to easily convert from Queen to King bed.
-W/D prep/hookups.
-4 seasons construction, or at least as close as possible.

We have other wants but could get around the, for the right TT. We don't mind going big. My truck will town any TT made and I am confident in my abilities to tow.

Currently at the top of our list is the Grand Design 315RLTS. The 313RLTS also meets most of our needs.

There is, unfortunately, nothing in the ORV or Northwoods lineup that fits the bill. The Keystone Outback has just about everything we want but I am very hesitant to go Keystone and have read terrible reviews of the insulative capabilities of the Outback 326 and 328 trailers. The only other travel trailers that interest the DW and I are the Highland Ridge Open Range MR323RLS. I just don't know much about Highland Ridge products and their quality/reputation. Their closest dealers is about 75 miles from home which could become a PITA.

So, should I stick with the GD search or can you recommend another quality TT that fits our needs above? What say you? I don't mind traveling and would prefer a one or two year old unit to save on price. Thanks in advance for the help.
Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2017, 08:49 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Consider Tracer Ultra Lite

Before I upgraded to a motorhome (needed more room for grandkids) the wife and I owned a 30 foot 2011 Tracer Executive Series travel trailer (Tracer is manufactured by Prime Time RV which is a subsidiary of Forest River). My Tracer was very well built, trouble free and extremely enjoyable during the four years I owned the trailer. I used it for everthing form camping in Texas State Parks to weekend tailgating at LSU football games to RV resorts. It was easy to tow behind my 2011 Chevrolet four door 4x4 Silverado (1/2 ton) truck.

The Tracer Executive Series has been renamed to Tracer Ultra Light. Tracer floor plan 3175RSD is very similar to the Grand Design floor plan you are considering. Grand Design from what I've seen has the best "finishing touches" of travel trailers / fifth wheels I've seen at RV shows but comes with a price. Tracer "finishing touches" are very nice but perhaps a step below Grand Design which means Tracers are a tad lower cost.

If you have a Tracer dealer in your area, I'd suggest you take a look at the models they have in stock (hopefully the 3175RSD is one of them).

Hope this helps!
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:21 AM   #3

I've friends with an Outback and they love them. They are buying another when they return from overseas. GD and Open Range make nice rigs. I have friends with them too. I also have a friend with a Tracer. I have a Passport. Bottom line, if you have found the floor plan you like, start wheeling and dealing to get a good deal. Good luck.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:21 PM   #4

We have the Tracer 3175RSD and love it. No problems so far that are out of the ordinary. Tons of room for us and the rear living room is a must have as far as we were concerned. None of the quality of any of the current stock of affordable TT's is what it should be but is acceptable for us/me and the platform and materials seem redundant enough. We've done a few things to shore up poor construction and all of the equipment works fine.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:56 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies so far. The Tracerlooms nice but what I am finding is that for is to get a King bed or converting a queen to King the trailer needs to have the bed in a slide out. With the bed in the slide out it gives more ward storage for clothes and other gear up front as well as provides room for a W/D prep.

I will have to look for more reviews on the Outback 326 and 328 TT. They were our second choice behind the GD for a long time.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:57 PM   #6

We have had our 328RL Outback for going on a year now. We have camped in it pretty much every month since we bought it, from VA down to Key West and haven't had any issues so far (9 trips, 5K miles). There are horror stories on just about all makes and models out there. We had an Open Range UL for about a month and had nothing but issues. On our 2nd trip the front, lower nose cap fell off going down the roadway at 65mph because the thing had so much flew to it. I drug it into the nearest Camping World, told them I never wanted to see it again, and rolled out a couple of hours later with the Outback. I would not overlook the 328RL, sounds like it has exactly what you are looking for. Good luck with whatever you choose!
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropthejacks View Post
We have had our 328RL Outback for going on a year now. We have camped in it pretty much every month since we bought it, from VA down to Key West and haven't had any issues so far (9 trips, 5K miles). There are horror stories on just about all makes and models out there. We had an Open Range UL for about a month and had nothing but issues. On our 2nd trip the front, lower nose cap fell off going down the roadway at 65mph because the thing had so much flew to it. I drug it into the nearest Camping World, told them I never wanted to see it again, and rolled out a couple of hours later with the Outback. I still would not overlook the 328RL, sounds like it has exactly what you are looking for. Good luck with whatever you choose!
That's good news about the Outback. I really want to like the Outback because it does have everything we want. I need to. Check in with an Outback forum to see what other owners are saying. That's for the response.