Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-16-2015, 03:48 PM   #1
trying to stay cool...

Hello everyone. I'm new here so I hope I'm doing this right...lol My wife and I are full time in our 32 ft Kodiak and we are currently living in an rv park. We have been living in it a little over a year now and man it has been a learning experience going through the different seasons. Where we are currently set up it is literally like a parking lot, without any shade at all, and man has it been hot and humid here in Hot Springs Ar.Problem is mainly the bedroom staying too hot. Ours only has the one ac unit and doesn't seem to keep the bedroom cool to well. The sun sets on the driver side of our camper and really heats that bedroom wall up to the point that when you touch it from inside it feels hot. Was thinking about somehow mounting some type of insulation board to the outside of that wall with a reflective side out. Anyone have any idea what to use and how to mount it so that it could be takin down once summers over, and without causing cosmetic damage to camper. Were new to all this but we catch on quick....lol Thanks in advance for any good advice

rjdavis10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2015, 05:23 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

I've seen , the hot water tank , silver sided bubble wrap insulation, used in similar situations ( check with the park, they may have rules against this kind of thing) the wrap comes in 3' wide rolls, and you can purchase it by the foot at building supplies. I spend my winters in Parker AZ. and folks that store their RV's in the park for the summer, cover the windows with the insulation, and hold it in place with foil tape; foil tape won't dry out the way duct tape does; and leaves very little residue when removed. Rubbing alcohol removes what's left. Insulation rolls up for re-use.
Foil tape available in 2",3" & 4" wide rolls.

99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 03:33 PM   #3
Jayco Owners Club
I've been arguing with Winnebago over their Ultra Lite TT, the 28DDBH. They seem to think one A/C unit is enough. I can't get them to agree to a special order with a second A/C unit at all. I am either forced to a floor plan I don't want or to buy another brand. I know it doesn't get and stay as hot in Wisconsin... but they seem to think their engineering "wisdom" trumps my experience... and it will most likely cost them a sale. Good luck with keeping cool... I know from experience how bad that can be. Have you thought of moving to a shaded park? I would think Hot Springs would have lots of trees. It's amazing how many parks clear all of the trees when they are built.
Jack and Dee Dee Weatherford, Texas
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 w/CTD 6.7
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH Travel Trailer
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 03:50 PM   #4
That's a tough nut to crack. Big area, little insulation and one ac working hard. Maybe you can try a couple of tower fans to move the air. Keep all shades down and help keep the interior dark.
Good luck.
Tom and Gloria
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35A, TOAD: 2015 GMC Canyon, Blue Ox Towbar, Baseplate and SMI Stay N Play
TomandGloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 03:54 PM   #5
Is that a 50A trailer? If so, Kodiak has wiring for a second AC. Just add it.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:27 AM   #6
A short term solution might be to create a little of your own shade. Many tarps sold at Walmart or Home Depot are silver on the inside. Not sure what profile your trailer has on that side (slides?) But you may be able to string one up with the silver side out without causing an eyesore or damage to your finish.
2013 Winnebago 2301BH-Red
2012 Ram 2500 Megacab HO CTD
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:37 PM   #7
think i may try that tommorrow. already have one of those so it will be the cheapest way out. thanks for the idea. thought of that before but was just hesitant because of appearance. but its so hot now i say whatever it takes to stay cool. thanks again.
rjdavis10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:14 AM   #8
as with all manufacturer issues it always comes down to installing what little items they can that will be overworked so a few days after the warranty expires you can replace at your cost.

by installing the right amount of btu AC units you would never overtax and it would last longer.

it's all in the major plan to separate the consumer from their money.

"in my humble opinion"
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 05:17 AM   #9
Irronically, too much BTU (or tons in residential hvac) is bad. They cool so much the they don't run long enough for dehumidification. A system they has long run times but still keeps you cool enough is best.
2013 Winnebago 2301BH-Red
2012 Ram 2500 Megacab HO CTD
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:22 AM   #10
Can you use one of those portable carport tarps that you have to assemble? It would give shade and air space so the a/c could still work. Harbor Frieght and Northern Tool are just a few places that carry them.

Bob and sometimes - Nina - a Staffordshire Terrier/a SPOILED pit and her kitty Spaz
2006 Dodge SLT 2500 4x4 Cummins Quad Cab w/AT and 3.73
2007 Salem Sport LE 26FBSRV (TH) w/ my Victory Motorcycle in it or a EZ GO Shuttle cart.
NFlcamper is online now   Reply With Quote