Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2014, 07:04 PM   #1

TT Buying Help, PLEASE!!

Hi,
I am looking at a Fun Finder 242BDS. I don't know how to negotiate price on this unit. The dealer MSRP is $38,522, but they can "sell me the unit for $27,250+650 PDI". Where should my negotiation price start with the dealer? I dont have a trade in and will be putting 3-4K down with excellent credit. I dont understand how they list it for 38k, then offer it for 27k. Do I even have room to negotiate the price on it?
If so, should I offer 30% off the MSRP price or 30% off the 'sale' price? Or something completely different? Any advise would be GREATLY appreciated!! Oh by the way, I live in WA, not sure if that's a factor or not and "Nationwide" MSRP average for this particular unit per RVTrader.com is $27918, lowest MSRP listed was $21,708 and highest price (was the price I was quoted) at $38,522.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2014, 07:34 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'd have a problem with the $650 PDI but that's just me.

I'm sorry I don't really have an answer for you on the price or if there is even room to negotiate. You didn't give the year but I'm assuming this is a 2014.

I do know this. You MUST like the floor plan. If the floor plan is "just ok" keep looking.

ZMasterFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:45 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
LOW BALL them. All they will say is no. I would bet they give you a counter offer. You can LOW BALL them again and see what happens. Worst case they ask you to leave the store with your money in your pocket ;-)
That won't happen. They need the sale. You want the trailer. You have the upper hand at all times.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
LOW BALL them. All they will say is no. I would bet they give you a counter offer. You can LOW BALL them again and see what happens. Worst case they ask you to leave the store with your money in your pocket ;-)
That won't happen. They need the sale. You want the trailer. You have the upper hand at all times.
Low ball, but what price 19k, 20k, less?
Old 07-24-2014, 09:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMasterFish View Post
I'd have a problem with the $650 PDI but that's just me.

I'm sorry I don't really have an answer for you on the price or if there is even room to negotiate. You didn't give the year but I'm assuming this is a 2014.

I do know this. You MUST like the floor plan. If the floor plan is "just ok" keep looking.
Yes, thats the thing, we LOVE the floor plan and the length is perfect. It's a 2014 or 2015 can't remember. Its really hard to fin this floor plan in less than a 28ft trailer. I should also mention there are only a few dealers out here that sell fun finder.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:15 AM   #6

A rough rule of thumb is that new TT's sell for 30% off the MSRP. We got ours for 35% off. I would start much lower than what they're offering, then use patience. If you seem too eager, believe me the salesman will notice and not move much on the price.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:34 AM   #7

I would think 30-35% off MSRP if it is new. If it is used at all ( ours was a 2013 but it went to lots of shows and got lots of wear ) figure its worth 20. A good price might be $25. Make the offer and go home, let them contact you. Summers almost over they're probably desperate to get it off the lot before they have to start paying interest on it.

Keep in mind that with $4,000 or so down your going to be upside down on the loan when you leave the lot. These things depreciate like Brazilion dollars. Ours we bought for $28 and about 9 mo. later an airstream dealer offered us $15 for it on a trade! Make sure you have purchase price insurance or you could find yourself still owing money if its totaled.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:41 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
I checked the web and the first dealer had a web price of $28k..RV Details of 2014¬*CRUISER RV¬*FUN FINDER¬*242BDS - Eldorado RV, Lethbridge, Alberta
So don't believe that $27k is a super deal. I would also low ball them...all they can say is no and give you a counter offer. Or they might throw things into the deal like an extended warranty, which is another issue altogether. When you shop for an RV always be prepared to walk away from it.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:56 PM   #9

Our View Finder, made by Cruiser msrp'd around 37k and we got for 20k.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtk View Post
A rough rule of thumb is that new TT's sell for 30% off the MSRP. We got ours for 35% off. I would start much lower than what they're offering, then use patience. If you seem too eager, believe me the salesman will notice and not move much on the price.
Thanks, so if the MSRP is 38k BUT they are offering $27,250+650 PDI right now, should I start at $19075? That would be 30% off the SALE not MSRP price.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:27 PM   #11

Here is a little more background on this whole thing.
1. Not many dealers around here sell Fun Finder, I think only 2 to be exact. So I'm tring to find a comperable model in a different brand, should we need to walk away from this. If anyone knows of anything, please do tell!
2. We want this Fun Finder 242BDS because its only 27' and light weight AND we are using an 07 Yukon Denali 6.2 litre to tow. I feel anything longer would be not so much fun towing. LOL
3. We also love this because it has a tub AND at least one slide out.
4. I believe Keystone has a plan almost exact to this, but I've been told to not touch Keystone as they are junk.??
5. Dutchman Kodiak has a similar plan, but well, it just looks a lot cheaper. Not sure if the brand is good or not and I'm not IN LOVE with it like the Fun Finder.
6. Most of my confusion lies with MSRP and Sale Price.... Most dealers have the MSRP listed, but then have a 'Sale Price' listed. I've read everywhere about offering the 30-45% off MSRP, but if it's already on sale, how much further can I go if the sale price they have listed is already close to the MSRP said discount?
7. What is a reasonable sway and weight distribution gonna cost? Should I negotiate this in the deal or purchase on my own?
Old 07-26-2014, 09:51 AM   #12

Is this new? If so, they HAVE to PDI this anyway to activate your warranty.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:07 AM   #13

If you look eager or "gotta have it" they will be like sharks to a kill!
You will ALWAYS be able to find another one just like it. Maybe not today but tomorrow. You have to be prepared to walk away to get the best price. It's just like buying a boat NEVER buy the first boat you look at or negotiate on. I walked on 8 TTs before I bought mine at my price.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:46 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZozoBearMom View Post
Thanks, so if the MSRP is 38k BUT they are offering $27,250+650 PDI right now, should I start at $19075? That would be 30% off the SALE not MSRP price.
That would put you at 50% off of the MSRP.

If you want to offer at 30-35% of MSRP you are in the $26,600 to $24,700 range.

ZMasterFish is offline   Reply With Quote