Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #1

TT cover.

We purchased the ADCO RV Designer Tyvek today. We measured the box
of our trailer from point to point (minus hitch) at 28.4 and figure for the 28.7 + size is needed. Even after getting it onsite to the trailer I again
remeasured the trailer with concern on the size.

So seems to go on fine. Put DS on the roof to help moving it
around made it much easier. But have a few questions for you experts.

1. Even with this size we have LOTS of extra in the front and back. We have used the supplied tie straps and tighten them down, but not too tight as fear to rip it with wind and blizzards this winter. But concern with this
extra material that wind my come up the front/back and cause the cover to rip.

I have enough in the front to cover the hitch, is that advisable? Or the tire in the back that is attached to the 'bumper'?

2. Do folks use extra bungee and ropes specially on the front and back?

3. There were some (four) drain covers for the corners. But I am still concern with wind that it my tear the cover. I thinking going to the $ store and pickup some small plastic hard cups to fit over them. This not make such a pointed corner.

4. On the same concern at the bottom 4 corners there seems to be "sharp edges". I am concern on these corners as well.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #2

TT cover

I used duct tape wrapped around some bubble wrap to pad my awning ends. Our cover is big and we were able cover our bumper and propane tanks. Recently we had some severe wind storms. The answer is to use the side grommets to stretch rope or bunjie (sp) cord from side to side on the under belly. Tie a rope horizontally around the entire trailer. We also put rope around the cover/propane tanks. Some have used pool noodles to pad areas of concern. Our AC unit has a separate cover then the sunbrella cover. Some have made PVC frames to protect under the cover. Check your cover during high winds. Hope this helps.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I had one of those covers and found that if there was anything that they could rub on, there would eventually be a hole. When I put the rope back and forth under the MH and inserted into the grommets and tried to tighten, I ripped about 12' of the seam on the bottom. Repaired with a stapler and tied as tight as I could. Not really impressed with the material other than the 3 ply on the roof. It is also hard to get a generic cover to fit like a custom, therefore so much room at either end. This year I built 3 lightweight frames to put on the roof protected by carpet pieces. I laid out a 12 x 36 silver tarp and tied and bungeed into place. Protects the roof well and creates an eaves about 8 " over top edge and lots of breathing room under.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-237154301.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	535.3 KB
ID:	49145   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3856515205.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	602.9 KB
ID:	49146  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1961116789.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	695.9 KB
ID:	49147   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1435456501.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	576.9 KB
ID:	49148  

sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #4

I just covered my trailer yesterday with a new adco designer series cover. I picked up a foam mattress topper from target for $12, and cut it to use as padding on the sharp corners. I used zip ties to secure the foam. Time will tell how well the foam works, but I feel pretty good about it. I was going to use bubble wrap, but figured that the cold weather would deflate the bubbles.
hillbillyhtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #5

Use tennis balls on the spouts. Cut an 'X' in a ball and shove it up over the spout.