RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2019, 06:02 PM   #1

TT cover with a section for a slide?

Hi guys (wave). Well, it's been a few months and the cats and I are happily settled in the TT, parked in the driveway beside my mom's house. All major functions/activities are in the house, just sleeping and tv/computer stuff in the trailer. Except the cats - the Aunt is allergic so they live out here.

I got up on the roof today and put repair tape over the seam that I think is leaking, will find out if that's right in a few days when it rains again. So far, a small portable electric heater is keeping us more than toasty. All the windows are covered with 2-3 layers of reflective heat blocker insulation and I'm thinking of pulling the slide in to have less heat-able space. Is this a good idea?

I want to put a cover over the trailer, to make sure there aren't any leaks, until next spring when I can start getting into big repairs. Are there any covers made that will cover the slide if it's open? Also, how do the fridge and tanks vent if it's covered?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can impart.

Kathe Kathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2019, 09:07 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
If you have cats living in there - don't put a cover over and trap in stale air and toxic materials that are off gassing all of the time. You need to have fresh air moving through the TT at all times. It might be better to see if you can find new homes for the cats - they deserve to have a home, not be shut away.

Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:54 PM   #3

Dont do it if you want to live. Blocking the vents, especially if your running a heater could cause a buildup of deadly gasses. Fix the leaks. Best way to find them is with a seal test. It will cost you a few hundred dollars, but will pinpoint every leak.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:51 PM   #4

I don't understand what you're doing.

Is this for next winter & you'll be living in it? Or just the cats? I would recommend that you close the slide if you want to conserve heat. You have a LOT of insulation on your windows. Where are you located? You'll probably have issues with moisture because of being so closed up. At least remove the window insulation during the day, especially if sunny. With cooking, showers and sleeping you'll generate moisture in a closed up RV.

If leaving only the cats in there during the winter I wouldn't use an electric heater. They could trip it over. Use the furnace. In northern Nevada you will be using a lot of propane. The whole thing doesn't sound like a good idea. Why not head south for the winter? Go to Quartzsite and do all your repairs there and you'll get a lot of help from the RVers there.

I don't think they make covers to include the slides as each RV is laid out differently and with different sizes of slides.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:26 AM   #5

Thanks 450Donn. I thought of that after I posted. I did see a cover that only covers the top and about a foot or so down the sides/ends. That would allow for opening the windows a bit for fresh air. Still the concern of how things will vent, tho. Will have to think about it for a bit.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:06 AM   #6

You can buy a tarp in just about any shape or size. Not 100% sure it would work but it might.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:18 PM   #7

Tarps these days just don't last, the sun gets them. The ones I had covering my stuff in the back yard (till I could clear enough space in the garage) are in shreds now, just from the uv exposure. I need to look for an old style oil cloth canvas tarp, that should last longer.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:27 PM   #8

Barbaraok - Someone else suggested a tarp over the top instead of a cover and I like the idea. The cats aren't living here alone, I live here too. I'm boondocking with shore power (?) in my mom's driveway - there's no bedroom for me in the house, there's no water/sewer to hook up to, the aunt is allergic to the cats and I really like my alone time. I appreciate your concern for the cats, really. They are my babies and I spent a lot of time worried that they would be here alone most of the time. Turns out they're not, I spend very little time in the house.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:46 PM   #9

twogypsies - Thanks for the input. Here's a quick rundown - had to move back to mom's for monetary/medical reasons, no bedroom for me, aunt's allergic to cats, no water/sewer hookups just shore power, no batteries, no propane tanks. I was running out of time to find a place and this was my only choice. This is a large external bedroom that I happen to spend 80% of my time in. Heading south isn't an option, I need to be here for my mom and the tow vehicle belongs to her.

So - trying to find an oil cloth canvas tarp to put over the top at the end where the leak is, for now, and will be able to get into repairs in the spring. Was looking for feedback as to whether the cover would be a good idea, seeing now that it's not. Took the insulation out of the two slide windows. I appreciate all the points you brought up and will certainly be thinking of them every day to make sure we're safe and healthy, thanks.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:12 PM   #10

Thanks for the input, everyone. Clearly, I have to figure out a different way to handle this. Back to the drawing board!
Old 10-10-2019, 07:27 AM   #11

IF it were me and if I could afford it I would apply a product similar to Henrys Tropicool for RV’s. If not I would buy a heavy mill (6 or better) WHITE plastic tarp that would overhang each side a max of 6” or so and tie it down in several places on each side, to the bottom of the trailer. Might have to add screw clamps to under trailer supports. Also, I would arrange pieces of lumber on top of AC, and other items on the roof to be sure water drained off on place of pooling. The same lumber method to create vents along the sides to vent the inside of the trailer. Admittedly the Henrys would be by far the better method. Good luck.....kep the ceiling vents open.
Spoonsize is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:51 AM   #12

Thanks Spoonsize. Is Tropicool compatible with all original roof coatings? There are several and it's confusing. I looked at this product and it doesn't say which type of roofing it can be used on - only one or all of them.

Okay, I read it again and it seems to be okay for all types and says it will work over aged asphalt.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:22 PM   #13

If you use the Henrys be sure to read and follow the directions carefully.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:08 AM   #14

Just finished our trailer. As with silicone caulking, I found no way to clean a brush or roller or roller pan. Plan on doing the whole roof at one time if you can. I did the “brush” work first and let it set overnight. Once the roller was full it rolled on easier, I still rolled it in both directions while applying about a 2’ square area at a time. Also moved as quick as I could so it did not cure, skim over, on the roller or brush.

Tags
cover, slide