Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2014, 12:42 PM   #1

TT Covers

My last Travel Trailer cover lasted 1-1/2 years when then it became so brittle that felt apart just by handling in addition to the tear caused by heavy winds. It was an ADCO product but not the 2014 version. I think it was a 2013 version which is all gray color. Is there a better Travel Trailer cover that is more resistant to tear than any other immaterial of cost? Please let me know. Thanks for reading my post.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2014, 08:12 AM   #2

Coastal Campers
Our first cover was a cheapie, and made of a non-woven material that completely failed just as the 2 year warranty ran out. Since then we have had covers on two trailers made of Sunbrella brand woven fabric - made in the USA especially to be used for boat covers, etc. We have had the CalMark Brand covers which are semi-custom made in the USA to your specific dimensions, but there are other manufacturers out there using the Sunbrella fabric.

WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #3

I purchased an adco but couldn't get it on lol, it's impossible without a high ladder especially over the vents. So I hope it last once it's on

One local trip under my belt....many more notches to nitch
Joeymozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiliWali View Post
Our first cover was a cheapie, and made of a non-woven material that completely failed just as the 2 year warranty ran out. Since then we have had covers on two trailers made of Sunbrella brand woven fabric - made in the USA especially to be used for boat covers, etc. We have had the CalMark Brand covers which are semi-custom made in the USA to your specific dimensions, but there are other manufacturers out there using the Sunbrella fabric.
My TT is 25 feet long. About what price range are we talking about for a CalMark cover? Twice the regular price of a camping world adco type cover? Let me know.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #5

Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonic2001 View Post
My TT is 25 feet long. About what price range are we talking about for a CalMark cover? Twice the regular price of a camping world adco type cover? Let me know.
It seems like I paid about $25/ft a couple of years ago.
http://www.calmarkcovers.com
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiliWali View Post

Thanks!!!!!
Old 08-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #7

Anyone else with suggestions??????
Old 08-14-2014, 02:06 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I used to cover my previous TT but this one, not. Just a little to big and tall. Plus that rounded roof makes it harder to stand up there. One fall from the roof and I won't need a cover ever again. The new siding material is supposed to be more UV tough so I'll just keep it clean and waxed. Covers can buff the side in the wind and my last TT had some of that. Taking that thing off and on was a real pain and they are not cheap and they might last a few years at most. For me, for now, it's a no.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:07 AM   #9

Anyone else with TT cover experience? Trying to find out which is a good cover that will not ruin my bank savings.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:05 PM   #10

Just finally put my cover on after 1 year if not being covered. It's an ADCO, now they state a ladder isn't needed but I say BS. I had to climb on my roof then onto the TT roof (on knees). Along the adventure a strap was ripped off :/

Why can't trailers make a built in cover that is attached to a roof cover? Then drapes down lol

One local trip under my belt....many more notches to nitch
Joeymozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:08 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I remember seeing them trap monkeys with a net that was shot over their heads out of a mortar type cannon. Anything is better than the up-down-up-down of this. Adco says it can be put on in minutes with one person. Ya,,,, and it never catches on anything, no problem figuring out front from back. It's just about 100 square yards of material. Then it buffs the side of the TT in the breeze daily. There are zippers to get in the doors with till the zippers fail. Who ever thought covering an RV with a tent is a good idea?
Old 09-12-2014, 01:52 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
After giving this much thought I think I have a plan. My TT parks east to west so the real sun in on the front and rear. I have a cover that I used on the previous TT that is still in OK shape. I am going to cut the front and rear + about 4 feet off the cover and just install the ends for protection from the sun. I will be able to do this from a ladder so no roof walking. This will keep the sun from beating on and in the big rear window and heating up the inside more. I know this is not a perfect plan and might fail but the cover is doing no good not in use. Very little wind here so that is not a factor. The slide side never sees the sun and the roof will take it for years. Most of the seals are on the front and rear along with the decals. Keeping the sun off them will help. As one big piece that cover is just too big to get over the TT with all the stuff that is on the roof without getting up there and tripping over everything. I have also been thinking of a way with poles and ropes to get that thing on but no luck. I sure wouldn't buy a cover for cutting like this but I have it. Worst case, it becomes painters tarps.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:51 PM   #13

TT Covers

Ever consider a large metal carport? I've been tossing around the idea of a cover, but think a large carport would pay for itself after a few years.

And I just realized this thread is 3 years old. Wow!!
Old 09-18-2017, 10:03 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Monkeys View Post
Ever consider a large metal carport? I've been tossing around the idea of a cover, but think a large carport would pay for itself after a few years.

And I just realized this thread is 3 years old. Wow!!
A carport is certain better if it'll fully protect the rig from rain, sun, wind, etc.. As far as I'm concerned covers are only good for indoor use. Wind is their biggest enemy and as such will cause their own kind of damage.

60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote