Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2016, 04:37 PM   #1

TT decisions

We have a Bigfoot cab over camper. Its been amazing. We love it. However, the two littles are getting tight in the dinette bed. I guess it's time to grow our rig! Our plan is to sell the Dodge dually and buy a 4x4 Diesel Mercedes Sprinter van to tow the new trailer. Looking at 4 season TT's. Want a smaller TT with bunk beds. Been looking at Nash 25C and Outdoor RV Creekside 23BHS. Our experience after owning the very well made Bigfoot is upon stepping into many TT's, they seem not well made. Kind of cheap and flimsy. The two brands I mentioned seem to be better made. Looking for personal anecdotes and experience with either of these manufacturers, which I understand are owned by the same man, Ron Nash. Many Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2016, 09:50 PM   #2

What an exciting time for you. You will be swamped with so many different variables to think about. Just take your time. Write down a list of all your must haves. DO NOT despair if you don't find everything your looking for as some TT will have what you need.

Try and look at some reviews. My personal opinion is I like Lance TT and Jayco 5th wheels. I found them to be most appealing with the finishes. I'm really picky about that. I was so impressed with the Lance that we got it (as we settled for a TT).

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:05 PM   #3

We have a Nash 23B. Other than normal roof seal maintenance it's been trouble free. We really like it. The biggest thing I notice going into other trailers is that ours is cooler and quieter inside. Our tongue weight is 500 lbs dry, and about 840lbs with the electric jack, propane, batteries, gear, and 1/3 water tank. What is the tow capacity for the Mercedes van? Make sure you measure the bunks and try them out in the 25C, they are narrower.
Ron Nash is no longer involved with the company but they still build above average trailers. There's a lot of junk out there, but it's in areas of the build you can't see. Weight is somewhat of good indicator. Cheap trailers have very little usable payload, smaller tires, and small water tanks.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:00 AM   #4

Yeah, tongue weight creeps up very quickly. Most people over look that. And as you add gear it can very easily weigh more than most half ton trucks are rated at!
We had a 4700lb trailer(empty) but once loaded and everything was calculated for both truck and trailer I was over loaded on tongue weight.
Things like batteries, full propane tanks and a WD hitch are not figured into the dry tongue weight rating of the trailer and need to be accounted for.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:30 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momskiier View Post
We have a Bigfoot cab over camper. Its been amazing. We love it. However, the two littles are getting tight in the dinette bed. I guess it's time to grow our rig! Our plan is to sell the Dodge dually and buy a 4x4 Diesel Mercedes Sprinter van to tow the new trailer. Looking at 4 season TT's. Want a smaller TT with bunk beds. Been looking at Nash 25C and Outdoor RV Creekside 23BHS. Our experience after owning the very well made Bigfoot is upon stepping into many TT's, they seem not well made. Kind of cheap and flimsy. The two brands I mentioned seem to be better made. Looking for personal anecdotes and experience with either of these manufacturers, which I understand are owned by the same man, Ron Nash. Many Thanks!
You're on the right track with those picks. I have toured both factories and like the OutdoorsRV the best. You could also look at a Ram 1500 4x4, Hemi or diesel properly equipped to tow.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:59 PM   #6

Thanks everyone! We are trying to stay on the smaller side of TT's because of where we like to go. Mostly dry camping out in the desert on dirt roads and along the coast. We rarely use developed campgrounds. The Mercedes 4x4 has a 5000lb towing capacity. We have a Dosge Ram 3500 dually that we are selling bc we need a more versatile vehicle. Thanks again and happy camping!
Old 03-15-2016, 06:08 PM   #7

With a 5000lb towing capacity, you might have to look into hybrids or a large tent trailer , assuming you need room for kids. The Nash 25c weights 5700lbs without propane, batteries, water, food, clothing, pots and pans, wobbly pops, camping chairs, etc... You'll most likely be around 7000-7500lbs ready to camp, with about 800-900 lbs of that on the tongue.

Also, check with Mercedes whether or not the hitch can be used with a weight distribution hitch. Sometimes frames can't and some hitches are limited to 500 lbs tongue weight.

Would a 3/4 or 1 ton SRW crew cab work for your family? They are about the same overall size as the van, a cap can be added for storing gear and they can pull a lot more weight.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:16 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My next setup will be a smaller TT and a Ram 1500 crew cab 4x4, 5ft 7 in bed, 3.92's loaded. Then a small lift and a little larger tire. I could be wrong but I think the Sprinter has a uni-body construction, no frame. Perhaps the 2500's and above do. I've never thought of them as a TV.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:10 PM   #9

I can not comment on your TV but can say that I have the 2016 Nash 23D. I have had 4 camping trips since getting it in January. I have been warm at 19 degrees while at Prineville Reservoir state park and have even been snowed on 2 separate times and still enjoyed myself. There are some things that can seem a little cheaply made but for overall I feel it was an awesome choice. I tow with a F350 so no problems there.

The Nash is warm, comfortable and a great travel trailer. My dog and I are going to tow to Alaska this summer.

Kip
ktn1966 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:02 PM   #10

funny, I was torn between the same 2 trailers till I found the 23dbs. On the nash 25c the rear bunks are hard to access and feel very small but the rest of the trailer is very open. And the slide on the 23bhs seemed like it should have went out farther to me. Although either would have worked for us the 23dbs was a better fit and bigger tanks as a bonus
Old 03-18-2016, 12:10 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Payload

My sense is that you wouldn't have enough payload capacity on your Van to tow a good size trailer imho.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:59 PM   #12

Hi All,
Thanks for your input. We went with the Outdoor RV 23DBS. Going to pull it, for now, with our current truck. None of the new vans have high enough tow capacity so we are looking into a 2014/15 Ford Van and having 4 WD added down in SLC. Really appreciate all your thoughts! Happy Trails!
Old 03-27-2016, 11:00 PM   #13

Congrats! Enjoy the new TT.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:32 PM   #14

Take a good look at Lance trailers.
We are looking at the 2285 , but they do have some with bunks.