Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPW View Post
We just got the TT insurance through our auto policy/homeowners policy , and it did cover the repair of when a small limb punched 10 holes in my paper thin Jayco roof while sitting in the driveway (just out of warranty ) ... BTW, The dealer charged the insurance company 5000 USD to patch the roof ... Ridiculously expensive I thought ... Good thing I had insurance ...
GPW...I realize you didn't ask a questions but I want to point this out in case others are reading this thread in the future.

There is nothing wrong with getting TT insurance thought your Auto poilicy for Comp and Collision coverage. It is great for exactly the situation you identified.

My primary concern was liability. Liability coverage is the weakness with attaching the TT to your auto policy.

I want coverage in the off chance that something like a propane leak in storage caused a fire/explosion and damaged my unit but also the surronding units. Also, I want to make sure if a we had a guest who gets hurt while camping or again something happens with the trailer that causes damage other property I was covered.

Most auto policies with TT addendums only provide liability coverage while hitched to the tow vehicle. For a total of $200/yr I have a serpate TT policy with Comp/Collision and liability coverage all the time. Not to mention it basically includes free GAP coverage for those who need it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2012, 12:59 PM   #16
GPW

Clubí , Thanks , Iíll check that out ....

Old 01-25-2012, 07:12 PM   #17

I finally got a quote for ESP on my new TT. 7 years (really only 6 since it starts right away) for $1,600. This is an exclusionary policy that excludes wear items. I'm waiting on the list so I can read all that it won't cover. Still not sure what I'm going to do, just thought I'd share. Also looking into starting this just before the factory warranty runs out, not sure if they will go for that.

My TT insurance covers me when hitched up or in storage.

Joe
Old 01-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #18

Even after you read through it, you may still not understand what it covers and doesn't cover, and whether it has to be 'broke' and not just 'not working correctly' for the warranty to apply.
Suggest you google the warranty company for complaints against it...
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #19

I have a new price of $1395 for seven years of coverage. Still an exclusionary policy and it has to be started when I take delivery of the TT. Will have to read the fine print. Also has the typical $100 per event deductible.

Joe
Old 02-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #20

Has anyone had experience with United States Warranty Corp from Ohio? The online ratings and BBB rating appear good.

Joe
Old 02-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #21

Our quote from Good Sam for what appears to be an identical policy to that of USW is $1842 for the 7yr plan. Still not 100% sure which way we will go.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #22

The lowest quote you have mentioned is $1395. IMHO ~$1400 makes a lot of repairs. Remember, major structural damage and sidewall type damage will probably be caused by something that is covered by insurance. Without knowing all the details I think you are now looking at covering appliances, elect system and plumbing...again $1400 makes a lot of repairs in those areas.

My feeling most warranty covered issues will show up in the first year or two. I have Jayco, so it came with 2 years of factory warranty, but even if I had one year I would put the $1400 in the bank and take my chances.

Lastly, are I assume these are paid in full, not installments. If that is the case what is the likely hood you will still have this trailer in 7 yrs?
Old 02-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #23

Also, don't forget the $100 deductable. If you have 2 warranty claims in the 6 years after your factory warranty lapses you will have then paid at least $1600 for the repairs. The number keeps going up and the math still leads me to beleive you are better off with out the ESP.

Thanks, for keeping this thread alive. All this is just reaffirming my original decision to pass on a ESP.

Let us know what you do.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:37 AM   #24

Clubhouse, you make a good point but our concern is that we plan to keep this trailer for about 10yrs (we have a history of keeping things a long time). The dealer labor rates in my area range from $85/hr to $119/hr. You are correct that our trailer insurance should cover frame or structural damage. The mechanical systems on our trailer give us the main concern. In Florida we will subject our trailer to some pretty high heat and run the AC a lot . Normally we don't believe in ESP's but we purchased one for our 6.0L Excursion due to the known issues the truck (engine) has. This worked out in our favor so far. The TT is a major unknown for us. I'm pretty handy but don't have a lot of spare time so if things do breakdown I'll usually have to pay to get them fixed. My guess is towards the 7 year mark the AC and maybe the fridge could be ready to go?

You have a good point with the deductible. We will take good care of the TT but our main concern is having a major breakdown. I was told replacing a fridge can cost around $1000 due to the labor involved. We will make our decision today and let you all know what we decide. Thanks for all the input.

Joe
Old 02-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #25

After much debate, hemming and hawing, research and coin flipping we decided to purchase the ESP. I got them to knock it down to $1,300 even. This is our first camper and we'll hope we never need to use it. I guess this will give us piece of mind that even in the 7th year we still don't have to worry about our mechanical systems etc.

Joe