Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2013, 05:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhole View Post
We have been camping for many years in our 98 Prowler and it is time to upgrade. We want to stick with a TT and we really like this floor plan however a new one is not in our budget. Does anyone know of older models with similar floor plans? Really love the galley and super slide combo.
Thanks.
Have you examined one with this floor-plan in person? A few questions to ask yourself. Do you need those two sofas? Note that they are too far apart to socialize if you have company. And they make very uncomfortable beds.

Do you watch TV? Then note that the entertainment center is facing, of all things, the pantry! You will soon have a stiff neck from twisting your head to see the TV from either sofa or the dinette. Is the TV made to rotate? Can you use the toilet when the slide is in? That's also something to consider if you travel a lot.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #16

You make a good point about seeing them in person. You cant get a feel of room by looking at a floor plan. We have two kids and two large dogs. Each kid usually wants to bring a friend. We will often have 4 kids and the two wild beasts. I'm looking for one 33' and up hopefully with 4 bunks. I have enough tow vehicle and will me moving up to a MDT by spring so towing should not be an issue. Finding what fits our needs in a used unit will be the challenge.

What about park models? Can you regularly tow and use them like a standard travel trailer? If it didn't have standard tanks why couldn't I add them myself? The standard 120V appliances would not be an issue for us with the generator.

Joshua 24:15 As for me and my house, We will serve the Lord
Foxhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:34 AM   #17

Quote:
You make a good point about seeing them in person.
That is a must. There are RV dealers everywhere. Go and look! Ask to see those called bunkhouses. Some even have a small area for the kids to sit and play board games or use a laptop and be out of the adult's way. Some have a small TV in the bunk area for the kids. Very kid-friendly floorplans are out there.

Quote:
You cant get a feel of room by looking at a floor plan. We have two kids and two large dogs. Each kid usually wants to bring a friend. We will often have 4 kids and the two wild beasts. I'm looking for one 33' and up hopefully with 4 bunks. I have enough tow vehicle and will me moving up to a MDT by spring so towing should not be an issue. Finding what fits our needs in a used unit will be the challenge.
TTs with bunks are not hard to find. People's kids get into other things and they put the TT/RV up for sale. Or the kids get older and simply lose interest or go off to college and the parents downsize. Craigslist always has these bunkhouse TTs.

Quote:
What about park models? Can you regularly tow and use them like a standard travel trailer?
No, they're not made for that. They wouldn't work at all.

Quote:
If it didn't have standard tanks why couldn't I add them myself? The standard 120V appliances would not be an issue for us with the generator.
Can you run this generator when on the road to keep the food cold? As for the 3 tanks you would need to add, and a water pump and changing the plumbing - why even think of going through that expense and those modifications when there are loads of TTs out there with as many as 4 bunks for the kids? And what happens if you drop the bottom covering and find there is no room for 3 tanks? Or no way to secure them? They will be very heavy when full. You also need to know WHERE to add them so they don't unbalance the TT going down the road.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:35 AM   #18

Just a thought- for four kids, go with 2 double buncks instead of 4 singles. Lighter, easier to make up, more efficient use of space and MUCH nicer for any adult guests you may have on occasion.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
Just a thought- for four kids, go with 2 double buncks instead of 4 singles. Lighter, easier to make up, more efficient use of space and MUCH nicer for any adult guests you may have on occasion.
I haven't seen double bunks except in the 5th wheel toy haulers. I will look for that in a TT.
Thanks
Old 10-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #20

The best bunkhouse (quality and features) that we looked at was the Coleman CTU313BH: Coleman RV

Has a seperate door to the bunk room, a seperate door to the bathroom from outside AND a massive camp kitchen. And 4 bunk beds because they put a trundle bed under the bunks in the slide. Kids have their own TV in there too!
It's a kids camper dream come true. Just ask my 8 and 10 year olds.

I would have bought this but it was too heavy for my tow vehicle.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
The best bunkhouse (quality and features) that we looked at was the Coleman CTU313BH: Coleman RV

Has a seperate door to the bunk room, a seperate door to the bathroom from outside AND a massive camp kitchen. And 4 bunk beds because they put a trundle bed under the bunks in the slide. Kids have their own TV in there too!
It's a kids camper dream come true. Just ask my 8 and 10 year olds.

I would have bought this but it was too heavy for my tow vehicle.
That's not bad at all. Definitely a usable floor plan Thanks.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #22

Update

Just to update this thread. We are still looking around. I am thinking we may have a little more leverage on a purchase in the dead of winter when the market is slower. We are not in a hurry and looking for the right unit for the right price. We are not finding very many used units with an island kitchen. I think the kitchen slide floor plan must be fairly new and not many used models are for sale yet. The island is not a must have, so I am sure we will find what we need in our budget.

Questions:

We are a family that keeps things for a long time. Our present camper is a 1998 Prowler, we bought new. It has been well used over the 15 years.

1. Are there any construction methods or Manufactures that are not as good as others? I am Not looking to start a brand bashing thread. Send me a PM if you would never buy brand X again.

2. Is Fiberglass exterior better then Aluminum?

3. I see many offer aluminum structure. Our old Prowler is a wood structure. Is the aluminum better for the long term?

4. Are all the roofs the same rubber or are some better than others?

5. Are all the slides basically the same or are some troublesome? I have Never owned a slide before.

I want to be sure we buy a well built quality unit that we can use for the next 10 years. I am Not looking for a luxury model just a good, solid reliable family camper.
Thanks,
FOX
Old 11-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #23

Quote:
1. Are there any construction methods or Manufactures that are not as good as others? I am Not looking to start a brand bashing thread. Send me a PM if you would never buy brand X again.

2. Is Fiberglass exterior better then Aluminum? I say no. To fix either is a bit of a job. Metal dents easier. Other than that, I think not.

3. I see many offer aluminum structure. Our old Prowler is a wood structure. Is the aluminum better for the long term? It can keep from rotting, but floors and roof decks are still wood.

4. Are all the roofs the same rubber or are some better than others? All rubber is the same, but then there is TPO vinyl, and of course fiberglass on high end units.

5. Are all the slides basically the same or are some troublesome? I have Never owned a slide before. I do NOT like cable system slide outs. Lippert's Schwintek is ok, and I'm just biased about it more than anything. Old rack and pinion, either hydraulic or electric powered are best. Simple is good.
In red.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #24

Thanks!!
I appreciate your comments. I haven't looked at new campers in 15 years. I'm sure the market has changed.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
Hello, I did a search for you and found a couple you might like, I am assuming that distance to go see isn't an issue, (I have no idea where this place is )

I searched this way and found my 5er with bunks! (private sale no tax!)

Here is what I found for you , you may have already looked here, but there is a forest river trailer... REDUCED... if it isn't it they may have more ...just a thought

Find Used Travel Trailers in Louisiana and other RVs for sale close by

At present I am waiting in -30C weather for it to warm up to 5C so I can go get mine 5 hours away (shoveled twice already)

Good luck, hope this helps...
Old 11-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #26

Solo Rvers Club
2007 Coachmen RV Used Spirit of America 32 BHS Travel Trailer

Here is one that might suit hit enlarge in the tiny buttons on the bottom 4 bunks pretty nice unit..
Old 11-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enokie View Post
2007 Coachmen RV Used Spirit of America 32 BHS Travel Trailer

Here is one that might suit hit enlarge in the tiny buttons on the bottom 4 bunks pretty nice unit..
Wow Thanks for the link. I didn't know about that site. I always use rvtrader.com. I will look around and see what I find. I shoveled plenty of snow growing up. That's why I live in Louisiana now. We get snow (dust) once every 10 or 15 years and they close the whole state down.