Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2013, 07:46 AM   #1

TT for the Farm

New member here, figured I'd be able to get some comments and ideas from you knowledgeable folks. My sister and I own a small farm in central Texas and are considering splitting the cost of a TT to put out there for a place to stay on weekends. We are working on a fairly strict budget, but she wants new, so our options are limited. Looking to spend no more than $12K or so. Use would mostly be weekends, might have up to 5 people sleep in it for a night or two.

I located this 2014 Forest River Wildwood model at a dealer in my area, and I'm going to take a look at it this weekend. Thoughts on this particular model or other models that might fit the bill are much appreciated.

New 2014 Forest River RV Wildwood X Lite FS 195BH Travel Trailers at Fun Town RV Cleburne Texas Fun Town RV

Thanks folks!
Techsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #2

you may have to talk your sister out of buying brand new. For 12k you can get a 35-40ft trailer in the 2002-2005 range. Some of these may be considered "park Models". For 12k new you will probably only get a low end 18-22ft trailer
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #3

$12k you are looking low end, sub-par insulation, materials and construction.

Personally i would get one used and put one of those steel carports over it so you don't have to worry about rain and rot over the years.
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
If you're going to have utilities at the farm, you're spending money you don't need to spend if the RV is never going to move. For instance, you don't need holding tanks, a water pump, a 12 volt electrical system, etc. For a permanent installation, you can get more bang for your buck with a park model, mobile home or manufactured home.

With your budget, I'd be looking for good used units rather than sub-standard new units.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #5

I appreciate the comments folks, will consider turning our focus to late model used trailers in an effort to get something that's a little higher quality.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree that the used higher end units will be a better value for you. Also do consider the park models if you are going to leave it parked in one spot.

You might consider charging "rent" to the visitors to help defray the cost of the trailer.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:58 PM   #7

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I am with your sister on this one. I would buy new - the one you list would be a good place to start looking - and put a carport over it.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #8

I agree with gggplaya about the carport. What utilities will you have? Electric, sewer, water, wifi, cable?

I also agree about getting a clean 3 - 5 year old better trailer.

Look at a 2008 GulfStream Streamlite 26QBSS. That is a mid-level roomy trailer.
Should cost 8k to 9k.

If you like it there are dozens of 2008, 2009 mid-level trailers. A Jayco would be better than GulfStream Streamlite.

The trouble will be picking one out. A slide will make the trailer much more comfortable. If you put a roof over it the trailer will last a long time so get something that has enough room to walk around.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #9

I'll say that while you think that one would be fine, the size will drive you nuts after a while having to be that close to someone. For me it would for sure.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:37 PM   #10

Definitely put a carport over y'all's camper. We leave campers for years exposed to the elements at a deer lease near Menard, Texas. The campers get lots of sun damage and hail damage, too
Mossy cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:01 AM   #11

We have water, electric and a septic tank at the farm. I'm checking around with friends and neighbors to see if we can borrow some storage space in a barn to put the trailer when not in use. Otherwise, I'll be looking at covers or a metal carport to protect it from the elements, as we plan on leaving it at the farm if we can't find a local barn or other covered place to leave it. We don't need a ton of interior space because I plan on us spending as mich time as possible outside hunting or sitting around having a beer.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:33 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I would like to suggest another fun option. I have a small farm and did what you want to do. I started out with a TT, then found a 29 foot class A MH, nothing fancy. I didn't care if I scratched it with tree branches on the way through my woods to a nice secluded camp site. Much better, generator so I could run all appliances, AC. I had a hand well pump close by for water. Had 5 years of fun for $4,700. I sold it and I am sorry. Oh well, may find one again. You have a fun idea, research and enjoy.
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:37 AM   #13

Thoughts on something like this used Jayco would be appreciated.

29ft - 2006 - Jayflight by Jayco - $9,995.00
Old 10-31-2013, 09:23 AM   #14

Looks like the previous owners bought it and maybe took it out like 2 times, but it spent the rest of it's life in storage. I don't think Jayco has changed the Jayflight much over the years. This one looks identical to the ones they still sell on their website. It's a traditional wood built, but that's fine as long as there are no leaks.

I would also look at a northwood product like the artic fox or nash. They are built with 4 seasons in mind, very thick insulation and better offroad capability. They are actually designed for hunters in the north west who need some sort of base camp. Better insulation works both ways, keeps it cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter while using less electricity and propane. The underbelly is also insulated so the water storage and sewage tanks don't freeze.
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote