Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2008, 02:25 AM   #1

I did a quick survey of all travel trailer models at a RV show yesterday and saw no windows on any travel trailers on display. At many typical private campgrounds with close campsites the only "open" view is out the front or rear window - any side windows will reveal the neighbor's rig. Maybe the change is a dollar decision, but I think it's a bad idea.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2008, 02:25 AM   #2

I did a quick survey of all travel trailer models at a RV show yesterday and saw no windows on any travel trailers on display. At many typical private campgrounds with close campsites the only "open" view is out the front or rear window - any side windows will reveal the neighbor's rig. Maybe the change is a dollar decision, but I think it's a bad idea.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:42 AM   #3

I agree that I have seen less and less front windows on TT's. We have one on ours with the fold down fiberglass cover, love it!
Old 02-02-2008, 04:42 AM   #4

The salesman I spoke to guessed that the manufacturers made a dollar decision but I think that it's maybe a design problem. The "aerodynamic" front of a travel trailer slopes back more now - driving in the rain tends to make water wash up over the front of the trailer. Our front window leaks as the jalousie (sp?) windows can't seal against water being driven upward. I have to use electrical tape to seal the bottom edge of the windows before we drive in the rain.
Maybe another problem is the way the front caps are built now - an opening in the middle really compromises the strength of the cap.
It's a change for the worse
Old 02-02-2008, 04:02 PM   #5

The change may be a $$ decision, but there are other possible, logical reasons, too.

Our 2002 TT has a front queen bedroom. We have windows on both sides to brighten the bedroom during the day, but a window in the front of the trailer not only would be useless, but could cause the same type problems you referred to with leaks.

I like our set up and we have plenty of other windows to brighten the inside of the trailer. Of course, we prefer to sit outside when the weather allows.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 07:43 AM   #6

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I started to notice a decline of front windows on travel trailers a few years after we bought our 2000 Jayco. And, those still offering front windows, changed to a much smaller awning/cover than what my Jayco Eagle has.

I don't think the newer awning/covers are as protective (especially against water when the trailer is in motion) being that they don't seem to have any coverage beyond the perimeter of the window.

Just my opinion.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:08 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Perhaps deleting the front window is a result of customer comment and requests. Our 2 TTs had front windows. We used the window on the first TT but I recall opening the front window on our second TT only a few times in 10 years.

When we travel-camped across the western states for many years I never lifted the front cover. It was just one more thing to close up before leaving each day. It got to the point that whe we went to RV shows I always asked dealers and manufacturers why the front window was still included.

Now, neither of our TTs had a rear window, so that was a MUST when we got our 5er.
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:42 PM   #8

Maybe take a look at the floor plans - when the bed is in a slide and perpendicular, the front wall is often a full width closet. Common in fivers, not sure about TTs.