Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2016, 01:43 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I try and stay in the right lane except when I know there's going to be merging traffic like coming in to a city, then I will move to the middle to allow those getting on and off clear access.
x2.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2016, 01:51 PM   #30

its perfectly acceptable to be in the middle lane as long as you are not holding traffic up. The middle lane is the truckers passing lane so you should not be holding them up either. I have no sympathy for a car wanting to pass me when I'm doing 75mph in a 65mph zone. He can take the left lane.

2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:10 PM   #31

Outdoors RV Owners Club
No matter which lane I use, someone hates me, wants me out of their way, cusses me, flips me the bird, does stupid stuff in the name of doing what? Saving a few seconds on their trip? Should left earlier, I'm likely the least of your troubles.

Damned if i do, damned if I don't.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:22 AM   #32

So for my two cents, If you are going to travel in the center lane, at the very least, travel at the speed limit (when the opportunity permits). If you are going faster, use the passing lane, and if slower, stay in the slow lane. This is especially true for tractor trailers, and over-loaded vehicles. These vehicles cannot adjust to traffic speeds as quickly as smaller or empty cars and trucks, thus slowing others down. I drive quite often for my job and run into this problem very consistently. I have to say, the majority of my driving is in southern Colorado where we have mostly two lane roadways (including the only Interstate Highway in southern Colorado), which compounds the problem. As for the folks entering and merging; I very rarely speed up, or slow down for a merging car. Sound very harsh you say? Well, It is not my responsibility to adjust my travel for someone to merge. It is their responsibility to speed up, or slow down accordingly. If it permits, I will change lanes if need be, but only if the lane is available.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:42 AM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
I make the middle lane my home when city driving as long as I am not creating a safety hazard. If I am flowing with traffic at speed (which is generally under posted speed) and not impeding the flow, I am comfortable in the middle lane. I have had far to many close calls driving the right lane with mergers and even drivers who will wait to the very last second to go from the far left lane to the exit ramp. In my opinion, there are a minimum of two other lanes to go around me if they are that impatient.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:22 AM   #34

CA law says trailers are 55 mph max. Trailers are limited to the right hand lane only except may use 1 lane to the left to pass then must return to the "slow" lane.

In reality, it's not easy to do that with all the traffic variables.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:54 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacecsko View Post
I just do not understand it .It is rude and dangerous .
Rude? Dangerous? Wow. Not coming close to understanding your sentiment. I won't repeat what has already been made abundantly clear by other posters. I am guessing by your comments that have not towed long.

I would love for you to come back and update this thread after you have pulled your trailer over 1000 miles. I think, like most here, you will find there is nothing rude or dangerous about it.

The exception being, not going at least the speed limit when in the middle lane.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:13 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500HD View Post
its perfectly acceptable to be in the middle lane as long as you are not holding traffic up. The middle lane is the truckers passing lane so you should not be holding them up either. I have no sympathy for a car wanting to pass me when I'm doing 75mph in a 65mph zone. He can take the left lane.
Not in Oregon. 55 mph limit for truckers.
Most freeway speeds thru cities are 55-60-65 in Oregon. I run with the flow which is usually 55-60mph. Not holding anyone up. Don't care if I am or not. It's my safety I'm concerned with.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #37

Jayco Owners Club
I drive in the center when there are 3 lanes. There's one on the left for passing and one on the right for entry/exit. It's much easier for vehicles w/o trailers to maneuver, change lanes, accelerate, etc than me so I try to leave them the lanes to do that with. I've just as much right to be there (where local laws allow) as the other traffic and they can go around.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:56 AM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Myself I'll "Only" ride in the middle lane in cities where I don't want to get trapped in a unexpected "Exit Only" lane Or if there is a lot of vehicles entering the freeway, and I'm worried that they might see my truck, but don't realize I'm pulling a RV trailer. Happened once where someone pulled out and side-swiped my trailer.

Otherwise I'm always in the right lane. Some times nearing the entrance to the freeway, I'll move over to give a semi or bunch of vehicles space to merge in. But with that said, I'll have people zoom past me on the right before I have the 2 seconds needed to get myself back to the slow lane. Call me gun shy, but I know if your following me (the RV). Please give me 2 seconds to move back over before you pass me on the right.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:49 AM   #39

Middle lane, far left lane, right lane it's all dependent on the road you are driving on. In this country's aging infrastructure no two roads are the same.
This being said you are responsible for your safety and those you are sharing the road with. Travel in the lane which requires the least lane changes and travel at the speed limit so you aren't holding traffic back. If someone decides they need to go faster then let them figure it out. It's not your problem. Chances are good you will catch them at the toll both down the road anyway.
I drove trucks hauling chemicals in a 9000 gallon tank in the 60's. It was unbelievable how many unsuspecting idiots tried to squeeze me or cut me off. I was driving a virtual bomb which could blown us both off the face of the map. Luckily I am quite tolerant of stupid people however I'm not easily intimidated either. A real fine line there. I did like the triple air horn set up I had on my truck though. I got some attention when I pulled the cord! I have seen fingers of every shape, size and color. A couple times from every passenger in a vehicle. You couldn't have chiseled the grin off my face.
Adjust to the roadway and have a safe trip.
Lynn
Old 10-02-2016, 11:59 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
No matter which lane I use, someone hates me, wants me out of their way, cusses me, flips me the bird, does stupid stuff in the name of doing what? Saving a few seconds on their trip? Should left earlier, I'm likely the least of your troubles.

Damned if i do, damned if I don't.
hahaha - sums it up for me too! I'll add that if you accidentally do the actual speed limit, or pass someone, you are also on the naughty list.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:23 PM   #41

...all great points. We travel with the traffic as well, but try to leave a little stopping distance as most of our rigs don't stop on a dime. I think some non-towing folks confuse a little space in front of a semi or RV as blocking the lane and will pass and squeeze in even though there are a thousand cars in front of you and they really aren't getting any where. They just zig-zag between lanes with less patience than a four year old on Christmas morning. Just my general observations in thousands of miles towing. With that said, I can only control myself and I just try to be respectful, courteous, and safe so that all of can enjoy the ride. Safe travels!