Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
TT Insurance

I am curious to know how many of you carry specific TT insurance, especially emergency roadside assistance insurance. Is it worth the price or should I just put an add-on on my auto plan? We recently experienced a nightmare and our TT is still 370 miles from home after a month awaiting repairs. Finding a shop to do the repair was difficult, we ended up in an automotive shop. I lost the right rear wheel (tandem axle TT) without even knowing it and damaged the spindle beyond repair, requiring complete axle replacement. I doubt whether any insurance would cover any of this, other than possible towing charges, etc., etc.............looking for input(s)?
pthomann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2011, 01:59 PM   #2

We have Geico insurance on all vehicles. When we had the TT we just added the trailer to the policy and it was like $120 a year. It included all the normal features plus towing within a 50 mile radius. Never used them on the TT, but they were great for service on the MH when we broke down and had it towed.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
I do!

Separate liability/comprehensive on the trailer.
I also have Triple A's "AAA plus RV", added after I broke down wa-a-a-a-y out in the middle of nowhere and found that while the car tow was covered by my regular Triple A coverage, the trailer tow wasn't.
That lesson cost me $250.00
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #4
edj

I have collision and comprehensive insurance on the trailer through GMAC. Liability is covered through the truck/auto policy. The nice part of the policy they offer is that you can suspend the collision coverage when you are not traveling for a while. You still want to maintain the comprehensive to protect against other risks (fire, tree falling on it, etc).

For roadside towing insurance, I have Good Sam. The best part about this is that you just call up to get help. If you use the 'rider' coverage on you auto policy, YOU have to find somebody to tow the trailer and then submit the bill later. The Good Sam coverage is better than AAA policy because the AAA policy has mileage limits to how far they will cover the towing. When you break down way out in the boonies, you want coverage that will cover your towing to where you need to go to be fixed.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:39 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
That's true about the mileage limits with AAA- The basic coverage is limited.
I bumped up to a 200 mile limit (from breakdown location), which is enough for the kind of traveling I do.
Good Sam is probably better for folks looking for longer-distance coverage.
AAA also has an "event limit" of three per year. After that you have to pay at least something for a call. Rationale seems to be that they want to encourage people to take ordinary care of their vehicles and not to use the coverage for "preventable" things too much.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #6
edj

I compared the prices of the various AAA towing plans and found that the price was not all that much different from the Good Sam policy. When you factor in the fact that AAA is not really oriented to handle RV's and the limit on towing distance covered, it is worth the relatively small price difference for Good Sam.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #7

I have collision and comprehensive coverage on the TT through my Alstate auto policy. I also carry the Good Sam Roadside Assistance policy. I used it many times on my truck and once on my TT. All worked well. The cost is worth the peace of mind.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
I do!

Separate liability/comprehensive on the trailer.
I also have Triple A's "AAA plus RV", added after I broke down wa-a-a-a-y out in the middle of nowhere and found that while the car tow was covered by my regular Triple A coverage, the trailer tow wasn't.
That lesson cost me $250.00
Wow, REALLY?
I bought the AAA Plus RV because they said it DID cover ANY trailer I was towing.
michigancamper
MICHIGAN CAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICHIGAN CAMPER View Post
Wow, REALLY?
I bought the AAA Plus RV because they said it DID cover ANY trailer I was towing.
michigancamper
You're right- and smarter than I am-
I only had the regular coverage when my breakdown happened!
I upgraded to "AAA Plus RV" afterwards...
And I've had occasion to use it, too!

Francesca
Old 08-25-2011, 07:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
That's true about the mileage limits with AAA- The basic coverage is limited.
I bumped up to a 200 mile limit (from breakdown location), which is enough for the kind of traveling I do.
Good Sam is probably better for folks looking for longer-distance coverage.
AAA also has an "event limit" of three per year. After that you have to pay at least something for a call. Rationale seems to be that they want to encourage people to take ordinary care of their vehicles and not to use the coverage for "preventable" things too much.
I've read posts written by people who were cancelled by Good Sam ERS for having too many claims in a specified period. IMO It is reasonable, ever hear of any company with a business plan designed to lose money_.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:39 PM   #11

Mine is through RV America Insurance and underwritten by Progressive.
Between Trips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:45 AM   #12

Stay away from Travelers ins.
Funkmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:26 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Between Trips View Post
Mine is through RV America Insurance and underwritten by Progressive.
I'm not saying the RV America Insurance is bad...at all. I will say though that my experience with Progressive insurance lately on our Class A MH has been totally unacceptable. You can check our blog b/c we're still going through it.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #14

Why do you say that??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkmoney View Post
Stay away from Travelers ins.
jfletcher72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance