Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
TT insurance question... am I on the right track?

Hi guys,

I'm trying to set up insurance for my TT which arrives this or next week. I have several quotes as I'm also moving my home and auto policies to a new company yet to be defined.

Here is my situation:

If I insure the TT with my auto policy holder it is pretty cheap at a little over $100 a year. The coverage is average in that if it gets totaled they'll give me enough to buy a comparable trailer, used and in similar condition. Seems reasonable for the price but I really don't want to have to shop around for used trailers if we total it.

I also called Good Sam who insures trailers through GMAC. They quoted me TT insurance only at $241 a year BUT I get full replacement with that cost. In the first 5 model years of ownership I can replace it with the newest model year fully covered. After my trailer is 6 model years old they will reimburse me for the full original cost of the trailer if totaled.

What are you guys doing for insurance? I'm tempted to go GMAC for the comfort of knowing I'll be 100% whole if it is a complete loss. I tend to go overboard though and would like a sanity check.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks,
Darren

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #2

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Probably depends upon the price point of the trailer.

Mine cost 9K & I financed 7K. I just want to be able to pay off any remainder of the loan if there is an accident. I went with the $100 one from State Farm.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgarcia View Post
Probably depends upon the price point of the trailer.

Mine cost 9K & I financed 7K. I just want to be able to pay off any remainder of the loan if there is an accident. I went with the $100 one from State Farm.
Our TT is nearly $40k new so I want to be sure we get good replacement coverage. I've been reading about GMAC on other forums and it appears they like to rate hike after a year or two and it is substantial... not happy about that... still researching.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
tt insurance

Hi:

FWIW..I have been with Good Sam/Nationwide for 9 years on my MH with small increases. There claims management is very good. One major experience when toad came loose and did major damage, they would not repair place use after market parts had to be from the original manufacturer.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dean1 View Post
Hi:

FWIW..I have been with Good Sam/Nationwide for 9 years on my MH with small increases. There claims management is very good. One major experience when toad came loose and did major damage, they would not repair place use after market parts had to be from the original manufacturer.
Thanks for telling me your experience. I think I'll start off with GMAC for now. That is who Good Sam uses in WA for RV coverage. If they shoot up next year I'll just switch to my auto carrier.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmandt View Post

Thanks for telling me your experience. I think I'll start off with GMAC for now. That is who Good Sam uses in WA for RV coverage. If they shoot up next year I'll just switch to my auto carrier.
We have used State Farm with our first TT. With this TT we went with Good Sam GMAC!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Our TT is nearly $40k new so I want to be sure we get good replacement coverage. I've been reading about GMAC on other forums and it appears they like to rate hike after a year or two and it is substantial... not happy about that... still researching.
We have had GMAC insurance on our Motor Home since 2003. We have had no claims and no substantial rate hikes. We compared GMAC to GEICO which was a little cheaper but GEICO did not have the full replacement coverage for the first 5 years.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Hi guys,

I'm trying to set up insurance for my TT which arrives this or next week. I have several quotes as I'm also moving my home and auto policies to a new company yet to be defined.

Here is my situation:

If I insure the TT with my auto policy holder it is pretty cheap at a little over $100 a year. The coverage is average in that if it gets totaled they'll give me enough to buy a comparable trailer, used and in similar condition. Seems reasonable for the price but I really don't want to have to shop around for used trailers if we total it.

I also called Good Sam who insures trailers through GMAC. They quoted me TT insurance only at $241 a year BUT I get full replacement with that cost. In the first 5 model years of ownership I can replace it with the newest model year fully covered. After my trailer is 6 model years old they will reimburse me for the full original cost of the trailer if totaled.

What are you guys doing for insurance? I'm tempted to go GMAC for the comfort of knowing I'll be 100% whole if it is a complete loss. I tend to go overboard though and would like a sanity check.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks,
Darren
We did the 100 dollar deal for TT insurance. Geez, with all the insurances they have going on these days, one can get insurance poor.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Let me redirect the discussion a little.

I have an older Holiday Rambler 32 ft that I am refurbishing, when done there will be about 4 thousand into it. This includes Solar and new appliances, and water system.

Do I insure it? Yes and with a good company.

Why, it is an inexpensive trailer and old...????

Just have an accident with it, it is totaled, 40 miles up in the mountains.

Tow company cleanup bill can go over $5,000. How do I know this? I work for a tow company and have seen bills of this amount and more....

State Farm insurance at $100 yr. Get it primarily for protection against after accident costs. Then for replacement. Same thing for your older cars that are not worth much. Without full coverage insurance in most states do not cover accident cleanup, towing and storage. Believe me it is very pricey.

Tags
insurance