Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #1

TT mods

Hello, I don't know if there is a thread already started on this but I was just curious of any modifications that people out there have done to there trailers. Pics are nice too
Wyldbill77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2013, 05:54 AM   #2

We just recently purchased our Winnebago 2201DS, but I can tell you a few things.
I installed a Camco screen door bar on the screen door, and it's a great little item as it makes it so much easer to close the door or control it when the wind is blowing as it was yesterday.

I ordered and installed a dimmer switch to the light fixture over the dinette table. It's great for adjusting the light when watching television, or for when I'm up before the DW and don't want the interior lighting too bright.

I've put stick-up LED battery operated lights in many of the compartments. I may have to go back and secure the mounting plate with a screw as a couple like to fall down.

There are several cabinets where I will be installing extra shelves for better storage.

I plan to install a LED reading light fixture to the side of the wardrobe cabinet beside the bed. I'll run wiring from the overhead light mounted on the bottom of the storage cabinet over the bed.

The only electrical outlet by the slide-out is on the center of the front kick panel. I'll be running some heavy duty extension cords to each side of the dinette so electrical cords don't have to hang over the center front of the table.

Plywood tops on the dinette storage benches will get a little sanding, staining to match interior wood, and urethane. I may attach them with hinges so they will just flip up/down rather than have to be totally removed.

I'll use some smaller 1"X2" wood to make a small spice rack which can be installed in the area just above 3 drawers in the galley area. And, a few strips can be attached to the area above the tv wall in the bedroom to create a small magazine/tourist pamphlet storage rack.

I'm still looking at how and where to make a shelf or rack for storage with easy access for my laptop computer.

And, I may look at adding storage shelf or compartment to outside kitchen area.

When we owned a 29' Sunline TT, I didn't need to do that much, but with the smaller 2201DS, a little customizing will make the trailer much better. Both my wife and I don't like a lot of clutter and like to have a place to store stuff that we need and use.

So, good luck with whatever you decide to do! And, there's always a lot of help available if you ask specific questions about specific modifications.

Steve
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #3

Bumper mounted grill, exterior light on driver's side by outside shower and hook-ups, added indoor/outdoor thermometer from RadioShack and assorted LED lights. Also adding a T to the propane port by the camp kitchen so I can run the stove and bumper mounted grill together. Oh, and a paper towel holder. LOL
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #4

I put deep drawers in the areas under the dinette seats which made this space much more usable. Added a second battery and switched to LED's since we dry camp at times. Added a couple of stick up LED lights in the wardrobe closets.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #5

We have had our Minnie 2101FBS for a month now so have not had time to do much but have converted the hole under the closet on the street side netx to the bed to a 2 shelf unit and added a 110 outlet pulling power from the outlet on the other side of the bed. Next we installed a 22" Samsung TV on the wall provided with elec. and antenna connection. Also installed a 4" pvc fence post over the rear bumper for fishing rods and flag pole storage. Installed two towel bars on rear wall of the bathroom. Will begin working tomorrow or raising propane gas bottles and moving them back beside the battery box and moving the elec jack back 8 inches to allow lowering the tailgate on my F150 while attached to the trailer. Hard to get an 85 pound Labrador retriever in and out while rest stopping on the road. Biggest modification was converting a 10' x 10" roll up door to a 10" x 11' door to accommodate a 10' high trailer when backed in at an up angle. Had figured that by dropping a few lbs of air pressure I could get under the door. Had forgotten HS geometry classes which taught that backing in at an angle changes all of the rules of geometry. Retired life is fun but I do forget more.
labcdef24242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by labcdef24242 View Post
We have had our Minnie 2101FBS for a month now so have not had time to do much but have converted the hole under the closet on the street side netx to the bed to a 2 shelf unit and added a 110 outlet pulling power from the outlet on the other side of the bed. Next we installed a 22" Samsung TV on the wall provided with elec. and antenna connection. Also installed a 4" pvc fence post over the rear bumper for fishing rods and flag pole storage. Installed two towel bars on rear wall of the bathroom. Will begin working tomorrow or raising propane gas bottles and moving them back beside the battery box and moving the elec jack back 8 inches to allow lowering the tailgate on my F150 while attached to the trailer. Hard to get an 85 pound Labrador retriever in and out while rest stopping on the road. Biggest modification was converting a 10' x 10" roll up door to a 10" x 11' door to accommodate a 10' high trailer when backed in at an up angle. Had figured that by dropping a few lbs of air pressure I could get under the door. Had forgotten HS geometry classes which taught that backing in at an angle changes all of the rules of geometry. Retired life is fun but I do forget more.
Wouldn't it be simpler to let your dog ride in comfort in the cab with you ?
BigBill3111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #7

I went a couple of different ways with modes myself
First off I did not want the big mirrors on my truck so I installed a Rear view camera on the back of our trailer. Used an IR night vision camera (Ebay $25.00)so no backup lights required for at night visability.
Wired it up with RG6 satellite coax cable with adapters RF conn to RCA and tied it for power to the running lights on trailer
In the truck I use a clip on 7" LCD display rear view mirror (Ebay $75.00) to see the image
Works great and no blind spot for the Kamakazi on the Kawasaki to hide in during a lane change. Been there done that did not need a repeat performance!
I added aluminum screening to the Fridge, Hot water, Furnace and AC outside covers to keep the mud daubers from putting in nests when we are not looking!
Added the power tongue jack to save my shoulders but before purchasing found out I could use the Atwood brand jack and not have to move it back as the motor is further up in the air so the tailgate clears on the new F150
I use my 18 volt drill to run the stabilizer jacks up and down on the trailer when camping. Saves the shoulders again.
I made a sleeve behind the jack knife couch to hold our fold up table when travelling
Added a few of the command brand Tape style hooks to the trailer to hang towels, Hats, Coats up.
Converted our Weber Q BBq to use a quick connect hose and just plug the propane to the quick connect on the trailer. No need for the 1 lb bottles now.
I added cheap mud flaps to the trailer to stop some of the road dirt from filling up the rear jacks and hanging on the underside of the trailer on dirt road travels.
Added peg board inside the front outside storage area to hang up the various extras Like the jack handles, Hot dog cooker, BBQ brush....
Made up pipe loops to hold the Equalizer bars in off the bottom of the peg board. Gets them out of the way when in camp and out of sight!
That's the list so far!
Old 10-09-2013, 10:25 PM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
My Surveyor SV-264 came with a plastic kitchen sink. When it cracked, I replaced it with a stainless steel sink, at less than half what the dealer wanted for a OEM replacement.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
My Surveyor SV-264 came with a plastic kitchen sink. When it cracked, I replaced it with a stainless steel sink, at less than half what the dealer wanted for a OEM replacement.
Just curious... How did it crack?
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #10

Jayco Owners Club
To be totally honest, in my inexperience, I left a bottle of dish-washing liquid in the sink and I believe it cracked with that bouncing around in there. It cracked radially out from the drain. It might not have cracked if I hadn't left that in there.

Pictures and description available at... Some Quality Issues - Forest River Forums
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #11

I did this: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/a-bus...ml#post1623660
Smithers is offline   Reply With Quote