Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2015, 10:05 PM   #1

TT nightmare - former water damage on slide

Hi, I just purchased my first TT, a 2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 32 foot. I am driving it to Oregon from Philadelphia. Had the bearings/seals replaced, replaced the mattress, 2 new tires, then ripped up the carpet and under the slide after wrestling out the sofa and in the main room the 1/2 inch plywood subfloor was completely rotted through in the corner. The strange thing is the 12.5 foot slide seems to be one long piece of plywood with a beveled end which enables it to slide easily over the other floor. Only strange because it seems to be only supported by the metal frames along the windows and parallel to that where the slide seam is. There do not seem to be any perpendicular supports.

I work for a flooring company and wanted our guy to rip up the rotted plywood so I could replace but there does not seem to be much to attach the new piece to due to the above.

Has anyone dealt with this and what did you do to remedy? I can attach photos if necessary.

There is also another soft spot in the floor near the stove and a hodge podge of vinyl tile under the carpet. what a mess.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2015, 10:32 PM   #2

How bad is the roof ?

Old 08-25-2015, 11:27 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm not seeing what you are and I have never fixed anything like what you are describing. That said. I have fixed, built, many, many thing dealing with similar situations. Depending on your budget, time frame, eventual plans for the TT you may want to do this quickly or correctly.

We've had three TT's and all were new. For the most part they are not built very well. If they can cut a corner they will. The first clue was in the name, "Ultralite."
That means they have to cut corners anywhere they can to save weight. To fix it correctly you need to determine exactly where the water came in and fix it. The slide probably needs to come out so any further damage, soft spots can be properly fixed. Once that's done then new flooring can safely be installed.

Perhaps a quicker fix might be the use of fiberglass. That may or may not be possible. But It's strong, waterproof, will go over any rotted wood. It will reinforce the flooring. That's just a thought.

If you don't find the roof leak or wherever the water first came in fixing what you have will be of not use.

Maybe some pics of what you are dealing with would help. Start looking for a shop that can remove the slide and fix the floor. that's not something I'd attempt unless I had some time, jacks, supporting devices etc. It's not bad if you have the equipment and tools.

TeJay
Old 08-26-2015, 06:46 AM   #4

Hey there, thanks for your replies. I work in the contruction industry so I have dealt with leaks of all kinds but yes in a ultralite you are limited with materials. This is an old leak from years back. The roof is sound and not leaking now. There are no wet spots on the floor. This was prior damage that the old owners covered over and never properly addressed. However I would like to properly fix floor so that I can resell the unit when I buy my house. I think I can fix it once I get to Oregon as I have access to woodshops and routers and even people who custom fabricate truck bodies, etc. Plus folks out in central Oregon usually do this kind of thing themselves. So I'm looking for anyone who might have picked up sub floor in slide. It looks like the old leak started on the corner of the slide roof that was not properly sealed and dripped down wall into the floor and rotted the plywood and the seal along the edge of the slide.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:10 AM   #5

Not exactly sure I understand the construction here, pictures would help...

Google "wood boat floor repair" There are a number of products that are made for this. They work really well. Essentially you cut out the bad area, exposing only good wood, then use these epoxy materials to create the missing peace, in place. They even use this on boat transoms, which are under considerable stress. It is very strong. Bonds very well to wood.

It is easy to work with, biggest problem is it dries quickly so you have to move sorta fast. If the holes goes right thru, make a form beneath from wood, cover it with plastic so the epoxy don't bond to the form.

Warning, very difficult to remove this stuff once in place. Get it where you want it while its setting. Its harder than rock when done.

I prefer Marine Tex, it is great stuff.

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:16 AM   #6

pictures of floor damage

Hey Loyd, thanks for the suggestion.

Attached are pics of floor. Your marine fix might work if we build a form underneath.

I like your idea of only cutting out the rotted area. Where do you find the Marine stuff you use?

kind regards, andrea
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-08-25 15.26.00.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	104746   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-08-25 15.28.51 HDR.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	104747  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-08-25 15.29.17 HDR.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	321.5 KB
ID:	104748  
Old 08-26-2015, 09:31 AM   #7

Hi, yes the pictures help. It will do fine there. You can probably find it in any marine store in your area,,,, or here is a link Amazon has it. There are competitive products your local supply may have.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_6wycpgwgjp_b

It is commonly used. A little stinky till it dries, have the windows open.

L.
Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:10 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Seems like L. is giving you the info you need and I'm sure you'll get things under control. That type of marine repair will do the job. These epoxy materials will do wonders. It seems like you'll have all the help you'll need once you get out to OR. Best of luck with your adventure.

TeJay
Old 08-28-2015, 01:32 PM   #9

If you want to replace the 12 foot plywood, you might be able to pick it up on way through the midwest. Perhaps one of the TT mfgrs would sell you one, otherwise very expensive to ship and seldom available locally.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:30 PM   #10

it gets worse....

I pulled up the old linoleum floor in the TT and there was actually black mold in 2 areas. I treated it with a mold product and painted it with Kilz before we put down new flooring. We did a temporary fix for the hole in the picture but I still need to replace that whole piece, but might just use the suggestion to patch it with the epoxy product. It won't be that easy though because I would have to build the form over the side of the slide.

I am super allergic to mold; so needless to say I am pretty unhappy with this turn of events.

So 12 foot plywood is not used on the west coast? we don't really use it on the east coast either; all of our sheets are 8 footers.

Thanks for the heads up.

A
Old 09-03-2015, 10:49 PM   #11

You can make up any length of plywood you need by having any good carpenter rout a grove in the end of each piece of plywood and glue them together with a wood spline in the groove. Use 8 foot exterior glue plywood that is easy to find anywhere.
You might also be able to just cut out the bad area and use a batten seam from underneath to reinforce the splice. Again any good carpenter could do it.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:06 PM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
You can purchase Marine Grade plywood in lengths up to 24 feet long and hang on to your hat when you price it! A 4x8 sheet of Mahogany 3/4 Marine Lloyds Grade plywood will run you around $180.00 in a yard that sells Marine Grade. Boulter Plywood in Maryland will sell you high quality Marine Grade plywood that is very resistant to moisture. They sell 4x16 sheets that run over $300.00 for 1/2 thickness.

You should also be able to get regular Marine Grade 3/4 Doug Fir plywood at your local lumber yard for around $65.00 for a 4x8 sheet. I can get it a Menards, Lowes and Home Depot. Buy two and then do a scarph joint to get your 12foot sheet. Use Marine Grade epoxy on the joint, a 6 to 1 joint should be stronger than the surrounding wood. You should do the scarph joint for strength. Routing a grove and spline is not bad but the scarph is what boatbuilders use for strenghth when joining long runs of plywood.

HTH
SubVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:10 AM   #13

Hey I found a guy who I think can do it, and your comments are very helpful. My floor guy did not realize that the plywood was covered with corrugated plastic so according to the RV guy there is definitely something to attach the centerline to, and he doubted that the RV manufacturer would have used anything expensive in an ULtralite. I will show him your instructions though. Many thanks

Tags
slide, water