Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2016, 12:53 PM   #1

TT Options

Hi Everyone! I'm a new member here and I've been reading through topics for a while now and learning a lot and since we are getting close to buying our first unit, I thought I should start posting now.

We have never owned an RV/trailer/camper before but we feel that it will fill a lot of needs that we have. We produce maple syrup on our farm and are planning on taking trips to parts of the country where maple syrup is not made and selling our syrup and products at farmers markets. We love travelling and this will allow us to make some money while we travel.

We also have a young son that will be travelling with us and we are looking at bunk houses for he and a space for his toys while we are on the road. We also want a sofa or place to sit and rest besides the dinette and prefer a tub or larger shower. We also lean towards a unit with a side for more center aisle space.

I have a 2015 F150 and have done all the research on weight limits and would like to stay below 80% of my trucks capacities for a safety margin so I'm looking at a total weight of less than 8800lbs.

I've done what research I can on different brands that I know of but there are so many different manufacturers that I wanted to see if there is something that I'm missing.

Our current top choice for when we are ready to buy is a Forest River Wildwood 230BHXL but we are not 100% sold on the fit and finish for something that we are going to be in for about 16 weeks out of the year (not all at once).

Other models that we are on our short list are Nash 23D (this is new to the list), Forest River Salem Hemisphere 24BH, Keystone Outback 210URS, Keystone Hideout 262LHS and Jayco 264BHW.

We've also looked at a CrossRoads Zinger, but at 34' I think it's too long. Most of the models that we are looking at are in the 26'-29' range.

My questions would be, are there any other makes/models that we should consider? Are we right to stay with a shorter unit, particularly being new to towing? Any thoughts on the manufacturers/models that we are looking at?

I really appreciate the input and look forward continuing my education and eventually providing something back to the community!

Dave

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2016, 03:16 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you fill out more info in your member profile, like where you live, you might be able to get some more specific answers based on that info.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
If you fill out more info in your member profile, like where you live, you might be able to get some more specific answers based on that info.
Done....I think. I even added a pic!
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:31 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If your looking at a Nash 23D you might want to take a look at a Creek Side 23dbs. We looked at both those units and chose the Creek Side because of the nice double bunks and the cold weather package. We have been very pleased with the fit and finish.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:07 AM   #5

I love the My Nash 23D but I don't think you would be happy with it. There is only really room for a couple. No bunk, no couch and no place to store your sons toys. There are a couple of other Northwood floor plans like the Nash 25C. Northwood makes a great travel trailer and I have taken mine in the snow and in 19 degree weather without any complaints.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:22 AM   #6

Maple Syrup...............yummmmmmmmmmmm

BUT the jars and syrup are heavy and won't take much before you have added a LOT of weight to trailer and/or truck.

Your 2015 F150 will have a Yellow Sticker on drivers door jam that will state the actual payload of that (your) truck.
From that payload number you will need to subtract:
Your weight, wifes weight, kids weight
Anything inside cab of truck----things in seat pockets, under seats, in floor, in back packs, bags etc.
Anything in bed of truck
Weight of hitch/receiver

Then what is left over will be what is available for trailer tongue weight-------typically 12-15% of trailers weight
8800# trailer-------1100 to 1300# in tongue weight

So what is that 'payload number' on your Yellow Sticker???
Old 05-18-2016, 05:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
If your looking at a Nash 23D you might want to take a look at a Creek Side 23dbs. We looked at both those units and chose the Creek Side because of the nice double bunks and the cold weather package. We have been very pleased with the fit and finish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktn1966 View Post
I love the My Nash 23D but I don't think you would be happy with it. There is only really room for a couple. No bunk, no couch and no place to store your sons toys. There are a couple of other Northwood floor plans like the Nash 25C. Northwood makes a great travel trailer and I have taken mine in the snow and in 19 degree weather without any complaints.
My wife pointed out that the 23D didn't include the bunks - it was the 23C that did. The only problem is that it does not include a slide which would give a little extra room but I've kept it on our short list because we like how well built they seem.

I looked at the other model and the only problem is a lack of a sofa. That's why we've been liking the murphy bed models because they seem to cover both. It seems like it's either that or having a 29' unit and I'd rather something closer to 26'. Thanks for the suggestion though - they do have a 23BHS that I will look at.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Maple Syrup...............yummmmmmmmmmmm

BUT the jars and syrup are heavy and won't take much before you have added a LOT of weight to trailer and/or truck.

Your 2015 F150 will have a Yellow Sticker on drivers door jam that will state the actual payload of that (your) truck.
From that payload number you will need to subtract:
Your weight, wifes weight, kids weight
Anything inside cab of truck----things in seat pockets, under seats, in floor, in back packs, bags etc.
Anything in bed of truck
Weight of hitch/receiver

Then what is left over will be what is available for trailer tongue weight-------typically 12-15% of trailers weight
8800# trailer-------1100 to 1300# in tongue weight

So what is that 'payload number' on your Yellow Sticker???
8800lbs is unrealistic and the absolute high end. I just mentioned that as the high end of the options I could consider. A total weight of 7500lbs is more realistic. The Wildwood 23BHXL has a weight around 4900-5000lbs and a CCC of 2700lbs which is more than enough for the syrup that we would need and everything that we would put in the trailer (and properly load). Even if we maxed out the CCC, the total weight would be around 7700lbs. 10-15% of that would be a tongue weight of 770-1155. After subtracting everything in the truck, I'd be under the payload capacity of around 2060lbs.

Like I said, I'm more interested in models that would be in the 7500lb range than the 8800lb range. I didn't want someone suggesting something that I wouldn't consider because of the weight.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:24 AM   #9

Check out Open Range... they have a lite 5 er as well as TT that would suit your needs. We have the 323 RLS and love it. It is very well built... 4 season... rated for 0 degrees and has full size appliances.... & WD connections....& 2 year warranty... good luck
Old 05-21-2016, 10:38 PM   #10

You may want to look at Jayco too.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:55 PM   #11

Grand Design 2800bh would have been my trailer if my truck could handle it. Your truck is perfect for that model. Bunks up front, big pass through storage and 600lbs dry.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:08 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If your looking at trailers with a Murphy bed be aware that you will probably lose the large up front pass through storage space. Everything is a trade off in a trailer. It will be hard to find everything you want in the size and weight range you specified. I ended up trying to figure out what were the things I really wanted and what were non-essentials that I would like but could live without. We ended up with about 95% of what we wanted with all the essentials. Good luck in your search.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
If your looking at trailers with a Murphy bed be aware that you will probably lose the large up front pass through storage space. Everything is a trade off in a trailer. It will be hard to find everything you want in the size and weight range you specified. I ended up trying to figure out what were the things I really wanted and what were non-essentials that I would like but could live without. We ended up with about 95% of what we wanted with all the essentials. Good luck in your search.
We came close a couple of times to finding an ideal layout only to find out that the model is discontinued or "dealer stock only". When we would search for a unit they were hard to find so they either sold out because the model was popular or lack of sales.

The Wildwood 230BHXL and a custom layout are the closest that we have found. I'm waiting for a final quote on the custom trailer and then we'll decide. Either way, we'll get close but like you said, it will be 95% of what would be ideal.