Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2016, 09:31 PM   #1

TT rear bumper bolt on shelf

I just bought a new '16 Keystone Cougar 36' 30RLI. I noticed on other TTs had a bolt on shelf that attaches at 2 points at the frame. Anyone know where to find one. Not interested in trailer hitch styles.

Thanks
Brandi

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2016, 05:20 AM   #2

Like the one on our Grey Wolf ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0707.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	402.9 KB
ID:	122842  
Old 04-01-2016, 06:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
So the spare jsut hangs there going down the road? I built a receiver basket but couldn't use it once I installed the spare. HMMMM I just got an Idea. The spare tire mount is hinged. If it put it down and attach the back of the tire to the bottom of the basket....That just might work....
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:34 AM   #4

Before you do anything, check to see the weight rating of your bumper. If it is a typical trailer bumper, it may only be rated for 125 lbs. and that includes the spare. It would appear that on the bumper on the Grey Wolf is integrated with the frame and because of that, can handle more weight. You can have a receiver welded to your trailer's frame and then purchase a cargo carrier that mounts via the receiver. You have to be aware that added weight may have some effect on the tongue weight of your trailer.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:32 PM   #5

I removed the spare tire mount, didn't like it hanging underneath , and possible draging the ground, it came on the unit from the factory and rated for 300 #. We just carry the cooler, watertight tote for the hoses and power cables and (as we call it ) the turd toter, on it.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post

That one would be great. Maybe a little bigger front to back. Already got the trailer, so a Grey Wolf is out of the question. Are those sold separately?

Brandi

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:19 PM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Check with Keystone before added the rack to back. You will see that a lot of people have had issue putting bike rack on the back of bumpers. The extra weight and bounce cause the bumper to fall. I friend on mine lost two canoes because the bumper fell off.
Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:49 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Brandi -

The carrier on rideandslide's rig is not simply mounted on the bumper. It is mounted on two receiver hitches. The receiver htches are probably custom built to attach to the frame of the RV.

DO NOT attach a cargo or luggage carrier to the bumper. The bumper is simply not strong enough for more weight than the spare tire, plus the empty sewer hose inside the rear bumper.

As a minimum you need a single receiver hitch that can handle 500 pounds of cargo weight. Better still would be two receiver hitches installed to give you more weight capacity and a stable cargo carrier.

Most RV trailers do not have a frame that extends back far enough to install even one receiver. So you'll probably need to go to a welding/frabrication shop and have them extend the frame of the RV and install the receiver(s) bolted onto the extended frame.

I have a receiver on my 5er, with a 500-pound weight limit. I use a cargo carrier that plugs into the receiver and also has a weight capacity of 500 pounds. My "portable" Honda 5000 generator weighs about 350 pounds, so that and a 5-gallon can of gas is about all the weight it can handle.

Here's my carrier:
Husky Steel Cargo Carrier, Extra Wide - Husky 81148 - Cargo Carriers - Camping World
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:50 PM   #9

Thanks Smokey, was going to add that myself. Also remenber, anything you but back there also reduces your tongue weight !
Old 04-02-2016, 04:26 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Not to get off subject, I'm also looking to add a small storage box on the back bumper. My 4" square bumper doesn't have the length like "Ride & Slide". I just want to add a weather-proof storage box to hold extra tools. Any ideas? I was at a hitch / construction trailer place and they didn't even have any 4" square "U" bolts. I figure I would buy a 8" or 10" wide tool box ( maybe 20 - 24" long) and drill holes thru the bottom of it and run the U bolts thru it and around the bumper.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:14 PM   #11

4 inch square u bolts, Tractor Supply !
Old 04-03-2016, 09:18 AM   #12

I have always been nervous with the back bumper because it is so thin. I already have a spare on it and not sure if I put a simple receiver hitch it would be too much weight with the bikes and spare tire. I do like the hitch on both of the I beams. I might look into that.
jaakkandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:49 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaakkandy View Post
I have always been nervous with the back bumper because it is so thin. I already have a spare on it and not sure if I put a simple receiver hitch it would be too much weight with the bikes and spare tire. I do like the hitch on both of the I beams. I might look into that.
A receiver hitch is bolted to the frame of the trailer, and is not attached to the rear bumper or bumper brackets. A quality receiver hitch can have an additional 500 pounds of weight-carrying (WC) weight in addition to any weight on the bumper brackets.

I don't know of any receivers built specifically for bolting onto a trailer frame. Almost all are made to bolt onto a specific vehicle. For example. here's one for various brands of older pickups:
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...ite/75034.html

My welder/fabricator began with something like that, and then modified it to bolt onto the frame of the trailer instead of the frame of a pickup. Your welder/fabricator will probably need to do something similar to add a receiver to the back of your RV.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:37 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
4 inch square u bolts, Tractor Supply !
thanx...
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote