Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2018, 05:46 PM   #1

Cool TT Recommendations

Hello, new joiner here looking for input.

I'm looking at going full time with a TT, staying at sites for 2 month periods and working remote for my 8am-5pm IT / Support job.

I was looking at the Winnebago Mini 2401RG, combined with a daily driver / occasional adventure van for weekends and hauling.

I was wondering how well built / reliable the 2401RG would be as a full time rig?
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2018, 07:33 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You're in CA. Look at Outdoors RV. These are not lightweight trailers, but maybe the lightweight trailers aren't as good for full timing? I have lived in an ORV 19B for almost three years now, and it's been great.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:05 PM   #3

Most travel trailers aren't built to withstand the rigors of full time living. IMHO Winnebago is a cut above the average travel trailer. The Outdoor RV is an excellent suggestion, they are built strong, but keep in mind they are heavy and require a pretty stout tow vehicle.

People do full time in smaller trailers, there is a family of four living in a small Lance 22' BH trailer, but that is an expensive brand.

You can make any trailer work, it depends on your comfort level. If you're handy with tools and don't mind making small repairs you can make any trailer work.

Happy Hunting
cdoorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:55 PM   #4

Keep in mind that RV’s are not built for full time living. You can, but you must be mindful of things like moisture, and condensation.
With your tow vehicle my choice would be the Winnebago Mini, Grand Design, or a Lance. Yes, the Lances are more expensive, but if you really look at the construction, especially the interior cabinets, and the fit and finish you’ll see why. Plus Lance uses Azdel instead of Luan in the walls which is far superior, especially when it comes to full timing.
The Grand Design, and Winnebago are a step above the rest, and are good options. But they do use quite a bit of staple construction on the inside, and won’t get the dove tail construction, and as solid cabinets, as you would get in a Lance.
IMO I would be careful on getting a fiberglass batt insulation unless it has a very tight moisture barrier. Like I mentioned moisture will be your biggest concern when it comes to full timing.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:31 AM   #5

Thanks, I looked at the 19B online and it looks pretty good.

How does the insulation rate? Does it help with sound?
Old 09-14-2018, 07:04 AM   #6

In addition to Lance, I would suggest looking at Arctic Fox trailers. I had a 2014 Winnebago Minnie 2201DS and while it was a well built trailer, it wasn't really a 4 season trailer. So, really look at R factors of the roof and walls, insulated under belly, heated tanks, and double pane windows. That means it will be a little more expensive and probably a little heavier, but will be much more comfortable in cold temps and you won't spend as much on propane if you have to run the furnace. And, in hot summer temps, the AC will be much more efficient. And, better insulated trailer means that the trailer will be block more outside noise which may be helpful when your trailer is also going to be your workplace.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:05 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thicker walls than a "lightweight" trailer means better insulated. I've had this thing in 115° heat and sub-zero cold. In the cold I did have frozen sewer valves, but I still got by. Of course more inflation helps with sound, double pane windows would help more, but I only have single pane.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:13 AM   #8

It also needs to be said that even though we can recommend a certain brand, and give our reasons why, it’s your decision.
When it comes to full timing you have many things to consider. Overall feel, and comfort level sitting for longer periods. In the future you may want to change sitting area for a desk, or a recliner, and some TT’s are easier to do this. That is a not so good thing about Lance with their raised floor slide, makes it impossible to do anything different.
Take your time when looking, go in, sit down, and relax.
Focus on where you’ll be spending most of your time. No RV will check all the boxes.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:27 AM   #9

Here is some info regarding radiant foil that RV manufactures use to market 4 Season R ratings.

https://www.energyvanguard.com/blog/...diant-Barriers
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:46 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The above reply is why asking for personal experiences with particular brands, and even particular models, is more informative than the marketing brochures. When I say I was comfortable in the sub-zero nights I spent in my trailer, it's because I was, not because of the marketing materials from ORV.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:11 AM   #11

Thanks for helping with this, I know there's a lot out there, and I'm seeing options I never heard of or looked at already.

The ORV 19B is a really cool design, and the current 20RD (Black Rock) seems to have the interior that appeals of the current models so far.

Glad I came here.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:47 AM   #12

When looking at TT you also need to keep your tow vehicle in mind. ORV are much heavier than most with tongue weight in the 15% and up range.
Know your payload and that will narrow down options pretty quick.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:17 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
When full timer, get the floorplan you can live in. The ORV and Northwood lines will do well in weather extremes partly due to the 2 inch thick walls, and the tall ceiling make it feel bigger than it is.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:26 PM   #14

There are more option here

Fiberglass RV - Powered by vBulletin

With a fiberglass shell there is no aluminum framing to transfer the cold to the inside which then causes condensation.

Some of the brands have heated and enclosed tanks.

Resale is really good too.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote