Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2015, 09:33 AM   #1

TT sealant condition

Hello all,

I'm a newbie that just bought a small TT that have some leaks. While I do not see any evidence water damage in the interior, the seat/bed cushions do get wet where they touch the corners of the the front wall. I bought a few tubes of the Dicor 502LSW Self leveling sealant for the roof.

My question is regarding the sealant on the roof and does it need to removed & replaced? I have read the you can just apply the sealant over the cracked old sealant unless the cracks are too bad. With no experience at this, I am not sure how bad my sealant is. If I need to remove it or can I just clean it an seal over it. Attached are few pictures of the sealant condition around the roof vents.

I've have a few other question about the exterior corner trim, but I will save that for another post.

Thanks,

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sealant1.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	301.8 KB
ID:	113503   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sealant2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	113504  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sealant3.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	326.2 KB
ID:	113505  
grafgulch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2015, 09:39 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
I've done it both ways before. Your gonna have to clean the area with mineral sprites or acetone.
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:43 AM   #3

TT sealant condition

Clean the complete roof to remove the sap & mildew. Then remove all the old caulk and clean the mating surfaces before reinstalling the new caulk.

A pressure washer will make the job go quicker, but if you are not experienced with a pressure washer use a bucket and brush. A pressure washer could cause more problems if your not experienced with them.

Before resealing the vents and exhaust fans inspect the curbs and plastic for cracks or rust.

If the plastic is very brittle than replace them now as removing the old caulk is the hardest part of the job.
elundquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:16 PM   #4

So you're suggesting I remove the old caulking? I have been keeping the roof dry by covering it with a tarp. I've read you should use a plastic putty knife with rounded edges to remove the caulk. the temperature is in the 40's right now, is it best I wait till spring or warmer weather to remove the old caulk? The caulk is very tough. I know it's going to be a hard job, but any tips to make it easier?
Old 12-07-2015, 04:53 PM   #5

Warm it with a hair dryer.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 06:40 PM   #6

Thank you. I will try that.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:41 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
While you should redo that sealant, I am curious if the wetness you notice is not condensation. When I was in the Pacific North Wet on cold nights, the condensation could get bad, and it took coming to the desert to get the corners of my mattress to finally feel dry.

Try this, if you like: Take some newspaper and plastic film, like plastic wrap or "saran" wrap. Lay a layer or two against the wall where you think it's leaking. Put a layer of plastic film down, then put a layer or two of newspaper down, and replace your cushions and/or mattress. let it set like that for a full day or two, then check which side or sides have the moisture and how much. Might be interesting.

Or not.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:25 PM   #8

Sealer

Looking at your pics, the sealant appears in bad shape. So I would try to remove as much as possible by heating it with a hair dryer as posted above. On normal maintenance of the sealer, Dicor recommends cleaning the roof of all dirt and sap and only needing to remove any loose sealer. Then before applying the new sealer, wiping the old sealer with denatured alcohol, being careful not to spill the alcohol on the roof.
Alvint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:04 PM   #9

I had my roof resealed by a dealer that used some really good stuff that almost looks like it was self leveling. I would not use normal chaulk from Home Depot or Lowes.

I read thru most of posts and did not see the really good sealeat mentioned.

I agree that all the old chaulk should be removed.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:37 AM   #10

That last picture looks like a refrigerator vent, it is supposed to have a cover over it.
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 08:01 PM   #11

I took off the old cover before I took the picture and to clean the the moldy sealant.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:06 AM   #12

Great. I didn't mean to insult your intelligence, but I didn't know what a refrig. vent was when I got my TT...
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:08 PM   #13

............You really need to determine if the plywood under the rubber roof has been compromised due to moisture infiltration ! Also , I have just started using a Product called.........Flex Seal.......available at Wal Mart for ~$13 a can . It is an excellent product for sealing RV roof leaks , works and cures above 60F . The self leveling caulks don't do well when applied in moderately cold conditions .
.............Any , petroleum based product will , literally dissolve an EPDM , rubber roof , if applied too much ! You'd be much better off cleaning your roof with a soap like DAWN in warm water . Good luck with your trailer ! , santex
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 07:41 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would clean with acetone or mineral sprits. Use a product called Eternabond.
It is like a tape you can put right over the old caulk. Good for over 10 years.
Never worry about it again. Google Eternabond. There is a lot of good info on their web site. Very easy to apply. But prepping and cleaning good a must.
TXredfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seal