Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2010, 03:08 PM   #1

TT stabilizers

my wife and i have a 26' Cherrokee Lite TT. when i put the stabalizers down should they make direct contact with the ground or is it ok to put some blocks of wood under them so that i don't have to crank them so far? THANKS!!
larrydp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2010, 03:54 PM   #2

First, Welcome to the fourm. Yes, you can use wood blocks under the stabilizers. Or, you can use the products like Lynks Levelors (plastic) or any othe type of blocking you prefer. I use both the wood and plactic type when needed. The less you have to crank down the stabilizers the better. Stabilizers, are more effecient when not cranked down as much. Hope this helps.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:58 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Blocks also help keep your stablizers from sinking into the soft ground on a grass site & keep you from poking holes in asphalt parking pad sites.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 04:05 PM   #4

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I always put boards/bricks/Lynx Levelers/etc under the stabilizer feet. It helps spread the weight over a larger surface area which helps keep the foot from sinking into ground when it's soft. It also helps in keeping the foot clean and dry. The foot will get wet when it rains so, by dry I mean that it will dry faster since it's in contact with the wet ground.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:26 PM   #5

THANKS you veteran campers! i do appreciate your help
Old 08-27-2010, 08:44 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Every camp site is different (paved, gravel, cinders, grass, sand, Or mud (I'm thinking of Bill~inside joke). For me if the ground looks fairly firm and the the site level, I'll just crank down my stabilizers to meet the ground and give them one more crank. My trailer is built low to the ground, so the stabilizers are not extended very far. My stabilizers have nice sized pads at the end. If I'm on soft grass I'll put a small board down and a few Lynx Levelers down if needed. If you put Lynx Levelers down on the grass, they will sink in. Always carry at least a 10 pak of Lynx Levelers.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:32 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydp View Post
as a newbe to RVing, i am wondering: when putting down the stabilizers on my 26' T-T should they extend directly to the ground or can i get the same stability by putting some blocks of wood between the ground and the stabilizers so that i don't have to "crank" them so far? THANKS
larrydp, If you have BAL screw type jacks by all means go ahead and use blocks. Just don't stack too many blocks in case the load shifts and the blocks go flying! Been there and done that!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:10 AM   #8

thanks for all of the great info/ideas!!!
Old 08-28-2010, 08:00 AM   #9

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank P. Martin View Post
I always put boards/bricks/Lynx Levelers/etc under the stabilizer feet. It helps spread the weight over a larger surface area which helps keep the foot from sinking into ground when it's soft. It also helps in keeping the foot clean and dry. The foot will get wet when it rains so, by dry I mean that it will dry faster since it's in contact with the wet ground.
Sorry, the last sentence should have read:

The foot will get wet when it rains so, by dry I mean that it will dry faster since it's not in contact with the wet ground.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:05 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jack pads can be either be placed directly on the ground or with wood blocks under them. Most Lightweight TTs have simple BAL single arm stab jack where the end of the jack is a rolled piece of metal, these jacks will dig into asphalt pads and will not be very stable on gravel, sand, or dirt and therefore the use of a piece of wood or Lynx blocks to keep the pads from sinking in.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:17 AM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
When I travle with my trailer i carry 12X6X2 ceader boards in milk crates to put on the ground. I will build a stack by laying 2 boards side by side the next layer of boards. I will criss cross I will do this 4 to 6 layers high the top board is a 12X10X2 that has a 8X8 ss plate screwed in to it I lay it across the top two boards this lockes the whole stack in place. Then I crank the jack down on to the SS plate. When I park in my seasonal site I have 12X12 cinder pavers inder the tires tong Jack and front jacks. Under the back jacks I have solid cinder blocks stacked criss cross 2 high withe the 12x10X2 siting on top of them. In the front I have 2 automotive Jack stands with a 8X8 plate welded on top siting on the 12X12 pavers. This way I only have to crank the jacks down a little. Then i use two 1 inch ratchet tie down straps in a X patern on the jacks that makes my trailer very stable.
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:42 AM   #12

wow! bet you could sit thru a hurricane! thanks!
Old 09-01-2010, 07:28 AM   #13

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydp View Post
wow! bet you could sit thru a hurricane! thanks!
Hurricane Earl is planning to come up the east coast this weekend. Maybe he could prove your theory true by camping somewhere on the Outer Banks.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:59 AM   #14
GPW

As someone who has been through a lot of Hurricanes, I pray it misses the East Coast ...
You guys have any way to keep the corrosion down on the stabilizer screw/threaded rod ... Tried Grease, but that just seems to attract dirt ...
GPW is offline   Reply With Quote