Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2018, 10:28 PM   #1

TT tire pressure question

So my TT tires say to inflate to 65psi at max payload. My question is: Do I still inflate them to 65psi if Im not at max payload or gvwr?

Im currently at 57psi. Made 2 trips so far and haven't had any issues. No sidewall buldging/squish.

TT weight fully loaded with1/3 full fresh tank weighs 4750. I believe the gvwr is 5800lbs.

rgreene76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2018, 10:38 PM   #2

You can look at charts from the tire manufacturer as to their recommendation of inflation based on the actual load that they are carrying. I would recommend inflating to the max cold PSI.

WA Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:40 PM   #3

How does the 57 PSI compare to the 4750# weight on a 'load chart'?

No need to inflate to MAX Cold PSI if NOT at MAX Load Rating
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:45 PM   #4

Thanks guys^^

Never even knew there was a load chart. Still learning here. I'm a 3.5 month rv rookie. Never towed before so i always kept my truck and car tires inflated to the oem rec specs on the door sticker. Ill look for the manufacturer chart. Unfortunately i can't remember the tire manufacturer. Unless someone with a 2018 passport 239mlwe can post it on here. My trailer is at a storage lot. I guess i gotta swing by the lot and get some info.

As for cold or hot, I do remember there was only one number on the tire. ..."Max payload 65psi". No mins or max or temperature setting.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:52 PM   #5

Always COLD........
MAX Load Rating at MAX PSI should be stamped on sidewall of tire

Not all tire mfgs have max load charts......
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:46 AM   #6

I just inflate my tires to the max cold pressure shown on the tire and don't worry about it. I usually don't worry if they're 1 or 2 lbs. under inflated. The pressure will rise as the tires heat up while towing.
Hope this helps.
travelerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:47 AM   #7

Then you must understand what tirepressure advice is for.
It is to give the tire a deflection for the maximum speed used( and wont go over for even a minute) , that wont overheat any part of rubber of tire.

The pressure loadcapacity lists( wich I can make extra safe one ) are meanth to take care that this deflection stays the same when you have other load on tire.

So , if you want to use other pressure, you first have to be shure of the exact weights on tires.
And that is where it goes wrong most of the time.

Most estimate it and to low, so gives more deflection so overheating. If any spot of tire overheats, it hardens ireversible, and every next bending of rubber by deflection an flexing back, tears that part a bit further, untill mayby after 3 years the damage is that much that the tire blows or treath seperates.
After ward highening up the pressure only speeds up the damage, and then the high pressure is blamed for the blowing tire.

The only way to be shure of real weights is to weigh in the loading you use. Best per axle-end, 2nd per axle.
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreene76 View Post
So my TT tires say to inflate to 65psi at max payload. My question is: Do I still inflate them to 65psi if Im not at max payload or gvwr?

Im currently at 57psi. Made 2 trips so far and haven't had any issues. No sidewall buldging/squish.

TT weight fully loaded with1/3 full fresh tank weighs 4750. I believe the gvwr is 5800lbs.
The correct inflation pressures for your original equipment tires is shown on the trailer's certification label, tire placard or in the owner's manual.

RV trailer tires don't last very long when they are inflated to PSI pressures providing little or no load capacity reserves. You're very lucky to have so much, use it.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:18 PM   #9

What I was trying to make clear with my to long post here, was that lower pressure could be alricht for lower load, but you have to be verry carefull with it and all the needed data must be 99% acurate .

But there is an other issue .
You probably have ST ( special trailer) tires.
Most of them are calculated in maximum load for 65m/h. The max pressure of 65 psi then is mostly yust enaugh for max axle load of TT.
Now TT's have always R/L unbalance.or for tandem axle even crossed between axles.
The tires are mostly yust enaugh for the max axleload ( GAWR) if evenly devided.

Then by this misbalance 1 tire will have more load then maxload on it.
This together with a little higher speed then 65mh, overheats the tire. And also pressure measurement is not 100% acurate, worstcase scenario is that they give 5 to 10% to high.

So then you do your best to be as acurate as possible on your part, but still damaged tires.

So another reason to yust keep them on 65 psi even when lower load.

Mayby it would even be better to give the ST even higher then 65 psi , wich most tiremakers dont allow anymore. In earlyer days they did and even adviced 75 psi ( 10 psi above AT) for maxspeed 75mh.

Thats the reason why many change to LT tires wich are calculated in maxload for 160km/99m/h . This gives them the reserves you need.

What you wrote in opening post about that the trip felt fine, says nothing about the savety of tires. Lower pressure as long as not verry low, gives a smooter ride and your cristal glasses stay at one piece, but then suddenly blowing tire after 3 years with accident and the missery that goes with it.

I have determined ( discussable) that if you calculate the pressure for 99mh and first add 10% to determined load, that then " comfort" and gripp is still acceptabe, but gives the most reserve for the things I mentioned.
Then lightest tire if 45/55% weigtdivision uses 80% of the loadcapacity for 99mh for the pressure.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:10 PM   #10

rgreene76 you didn't say what brand of tires you bought but here is a manufacturers chart for the Goodyear Endurance tires.
Bigbird65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:26 PM   #11

Thanks for replies^^^.

There are sone very scientific answers given. Wow. That was a lot to take in. Towing is new and im still learning. How about i go to the lot and get my tire info and go from there.

A side note is at 65 psi the tires looked to be over inflated. Looked like the center of the tread was only making contact and the edges were not. Below 60 the whole tread looks to be making contact. Make sense? Ill try to get pics and manuf. Info soon.

Again thx for all the info and replies.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:45 PM   #12

Have always inflated my tires to the max cold inflation number on the tire and have never had any issues. Simple and had two good friends in the tire biz, Goodyear and BF Goodrich, and both confirmed that's what is recommended. The other stuff is too complicated for me.
2010 Ford F-150 KR 5.4L/3:55 Husky CenterLine
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreene76 View Post
Thanks for replies^^^.

There are sone very scientific answers given. Wow. That was a lot to take in. Towing is new and im still learning. How about i go to the lot and get my tire info and go from there.

A side note is at 65 psi the tires looked to be over inflated. Looked like the center of the tread was only making contact and the edges were not. Below 60 the whole tread looks to be making contact. Make sense? Ill try to get pics and manuf. Info soon.

Again thx for all the info and replies.
From what you write, I suspect your TT to be exeption to the rule, and you have a comfortable reserve. Can also be you have Diagonal tires , they have more rounded treath.

Search from TT GVWR and GAWR and give howmany axles and tires

From tires give:
1 maxload or loadindex .
2 kind of tire to determine whats written behind AT or apart written as Old Biscut gave picture of.
3 . Speedcode ( often N max 140km/86m/h
4 look if in sises is R or D given ( for radial or diagonal , I can be mistaken at D )
5 nice would be if you give sises
Example : ST235/70 R 16 108/105N
And also then " maxload single 2205lbs AT 65 PSI( COLD)"

Then I will calculate the pressure.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:33 AM   #14

More air equals lower operating temps. Just run them at max pressure and roll on. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire pressure