Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2014, 09:12 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
TT Values

We are looking at travel trailers and are wondering if there is a reliable source for trailer values. The NADA book lists just about everything we are looking at in the same price range. It would seem to me that different brands with different layouts would have different values.

Thanks

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2014, 11:01 AM   #2

NADA is what most banks and dealers use.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So here is the problem. This is just an example:

1997 Sunline Solaris 27' NADA = Low Retail $4040. Avg Retail $4870

2001 Terry M-25L (same length) Same low and average retail.

Fours years newer and there is zero difference. There must be a better source than NADA. This is just one of many, many examples.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:24 PM   #4

I don't put a faith in NADA values. 2 years after buying our TT new NADA had an average used retail value higher than we paid new.

Plus you really have to know what came standard on the travel trailer, you see people listing every feature there RVs have regardless if it was standard or not and that really throws off the value. Almost every RV available today comes standard with an awning and stabilizers, yet lots of folks list them as extras.

Lastly when you are talking about 13-15+ year old trailers, they have been pretty well depreciated there likely won't be much difference in values between them any more.

IMO the best bet is to do searches in national online market places (Craigslist/RV Trader) and see what folks are asking. You are bound to start to get an idea when you look at dozens of them online in a variety of markets.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:41 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I put zero faith in NADA. As I noted in an example of two different brands of similar size but 4 years difference in age, they are listed for the same exact value. If that is the best they can do I think they should get out of the valuation business for campers/rv's/travel trailers.

I was just hoping that there was a reliable source out there somewhere ..... but I guess not.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:12 PM   #6

Oh, nada has a subscription service for banks, dealers and the like ... That is much more accurate I'm told.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
I put zero faith in NADA. As I noted in an example of two different brands of similar size but 4 years difference in age, they are listed for the same exact value. If that is the best they can do I think they should get out of the valuation business for campers/rv's/travel trailers.

I was just hoping that there was a reliable source out there somewhere ..... but I guess not.
It all depends on markets. They take all the averages and figure it all in for you. To give you a starting place.
Your market, supply, demand, and trailer condition all effect the value.

Different manufacturers hold values better. One you listed was a Fleetwood. The other is Sunline? Never heard of them. Other floorplans are more popular than others. So on, and so forth.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
NADA is what most banks and dealers use.
Nada is what the banks and insurance companies use to establish prices and what the value is if you have a complete loss. It is not a true measure of the resale value. Check Nada and then check what your particular model normally lists and sells for. That is the number you pay. The normal sale price on my TT is about 4-5k higher than Nada. If I found a trailer that was 8 years old with little use always stored indoors compared to one 4 years old with some abuse and stored outdoors I would go for the older model and pay more than the newer because it IS worth more. The old saying "you get what you pay for" applies to trailers also.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:21 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
It all depends on markets. They take all the averages and figure it all in for you. To give you a starting place.
Your market, supply, demand, and trailer condition all effect the value.

Different manufacturers hold values better. One you listed was a Fleetwood. The other is Sunline? Never heard of them. Other floorplans are more popular than others. So on, and so forth.
You've never heard of Fleetwood ???

Old 03-12-2014, 09:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
You've never heard of Fleetwood ???
When I say them, I meant Sunline.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:03 PM   #11

After looking at stuff with the ceilings and roofs rotted to stuff that sat in a pole barn for 16 years and looked like new, nada never seemed to help much.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:40 PM   #12

Well, I've never seen any guide to "rotted, worthless trailers."
Old 03-12-2014, 09:37 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Well, I've never seen any guide to "rotted, worthless trailers."
LOL, your describing my 97 R-Vision. I happy the dealer is giving me $500 on trade-in.
MoeBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjxj View Post
After looking at stuff with the ceilings and roofs rotted to stuff that sat in a pole barn for 16 years and looked like new, nada never seemed to help much.
That is my point. The values they print are far to generic to be of any true value to a potential buyer looking to find valid values.