Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2015, 05:47 AM   #15

well, I hear so much about sway with a TT. I had that problem until started using a high end hitch.mIts one of the top two that have the same basic design so I won't mention names but since I installed it I have yet to experience ANY sway with my <30 foot TT.

There are way too many combinations out there, you will have to do the math and then figure out what you can afford that you and your family can live with....

oh and then the payments IF you don't have the whole amount up front....

ikes!!!

It IS a lot of fun though!!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2015, 07:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt.randy View Post
Thanks for he more I look and read the more I'm am leaning towards TT. have seen some very nice floor plans looked at a Jayco with opposing slides and the living area is huge. ULW is 7600 hitch weight is 885 . Don't know much about the Jayco except all Wood framing not sure I like that. And the Entertainment center is at the rear so from the recliners you sit with your head turned to watch TV.

I didn't know TPMS systems were available for trailers. Thanks again and keep them coming I do appreciate it.
Check the Winnebago towables line. The Minnie's are very well made and aluminum framed.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:57 AM   #17

I know how you feel last fall we started looking at trailers. I have owned a 5th wheel and loved it but the cost was just enough more that I could get more bang for my buck with a tt. We bought a Jayco jayflight 33rlds I fellin love with the open space on the double slide in the back and the slide up front. I owned a 2011 f150 the specs said I could pull it. But is was right at the max. At the time they didn't have the new model 32rlds or I may have went with it. But we decided we wanted one with enough room for us and our kids to sit and have fun. We let the kids Pick the trailer and this was the one they liked. I wouldn't worry abou the wood frame if you like what you are looking at. But I have to say after buying it I sold my f150 and got a f250 and I can tell you I couldn't have did it with the f150 the weight on the front is well over 1000lbs and they just weigh more the the stickers say. But I love my Jayco great bang for the buck and 2 year warranty how do you beat that. With a half ton I would say at the most loaded no more than 8500lbs and that is really to much. And take the advise of some of the people that have been around and read the forms per brand gives you a lot more info for the brand. And never trust the salesman when he says " sure your pickup will pull that" there job is to sell. My 2 cents
Old 04-11-2015, 08:41 AM   #18

Oh I know about salesman never trust anything they say. I have been in the automotive business for 42 years (in service) all with GM dealers. 29 years as a technician and the last 13 as service manager. I have talked to a lot of customer with different size trailers and trucks and SUV's over the years.

We are looking forward to next year but taking our time looking at all the different manufacturers we can looking at new and used. So far haven't found any real deals on used all have pretty well used to trashed but when we're ready hopefully with all of our research and all the info all you folks are giving we'll find the right unit for us.

Thanks again
Old 04-12-2015, 06:39 AM   #19

FWIW Since the OP was for traveling not sitting somewhere. When we looked at TT's I noted that somewhere around 26 ft give or take the height jumps up another foot due to bigger tires and wheels. That got me looking at interiors. I really think that the unit one wants to travel with is not the unit one wants parked at the lake most of the time. I question the structural stiffness of a long unit with opposing or big slides. OTOH I can find layouts with the lower height for better towing, shorter length for easier camping and still enough room to spend a rainy day. I get the message this is not so much of a problem some places but I see it as one in others like the typical NE US campground. That is something to keep in mind when choosing a unit.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:20 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW Since the OP was for traveling not sitting somewhere. When we looked at TT's I noted that somewhere around 26 ft give or take the height jumps up another foot due to bigger tires and wheels. That got me looking at interiors. I really think that the unit one wants to travel with is not the unit one wants parked at the lake most of the time. I question the structural stiffness of a long unit with opposing or big slides. OTOH I can find layouts with the lower height for better towing, shorter length for easier camping and still enough room to spend a rainy day. I get the message this is not so much of a problem some places but I see it as one in others like the typical NE US campground. That is something to keep in mind when choosing a unit.
That's a great point. We knew we would be traveling a lot and spending time outside at our destination. I wanted a medium size 26', good towing with a low center of gravity and adequate room inside, all of which I found in our Winnebago. It's only 10' tall but still has 6'4" inside and only 2 steps to get in. We chose one with no slides because they are the #1 cause of problems in any RV, but we are also not looking to lounge around in our camper, so a different mission.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:37 AM   #21

A couple years back we went through the same thing and finally decided to go with a 26 foot camper w 1 slide that could get into most all parks and still have enough room to be comfortable. We did get a larger truck than necessary but it has made the towing very stress free. Our mistake was to get a camper with a couple bunks in the back for grandkids. Skip that and plan for the two of you. We learned later that grandkids will want to stay in a tent. Last year we decided to do a search for a fiver we could tow with our Ram 2500 and saw only "lightweight" units that didn't offer much more than what we already have, for lots more money.... so we are stickin w what we have. You are so lucky to be Florida residents... half price at your very nice state parks. We already have our reservations made for next winter for our 56 days in the sun.
Good Luck with your search.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:00 PM   #22

You know what you can do with your truck already.
The FW will be a dream to tow compared to the TT or all the things you towed before.
I never listened to anyone else when we bought the first trailer. We bought a 24ft FW that I towed with a 1/4 ton Ranger for 4 years and 4 3000 miles trip from Canada to Florida.
Upgraded to a 12000# FW and towed it 9 years with a 6.5L diesel rated for 8600# trailer. We now pull a 15000# unit with the famous 6.0L F250 diesel. We are now at the same mileage that we started with the Ranger.
Never once felt overloaded and never once looked at the possibility of a TT.
Comfort of towing and fuel mileage has always been much better then my friends TT owners.
If you tow 2000 miles with a TT, it might be your last like so many of my friends have done.
We are still having fun on the road after 23 years and no intentions of stopping.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
If you tow 2000 miles with a TT, it might be your last like so many of my friends have done.
We are still having fun on the road after 23 years and no intentions of stopping.
There are a lot of reasons to choose a TT or a 5ver but I don't believe towing is the deal breaker if you have the right truck\TT and hitch. Last year we towed out 30' TT thousands of miles week after week in wind, rain, rough back country roads and steep mountain passes. At the end of the day the hitch with stabilizer bars made a world of difference. There are lots of good hitches ours happens to be a a Reese. Our next camper will probably be a 5ver when we go full time but we will also be driving a dually when we do. Anyway...just my 2 cents.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1428974457953.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	91413  
Old 04-14-2015, 07:31 AM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We want a TT 'cause of our long kayaks. They can only go on top of the truck. Maybe when I get too old to lift the kayaks up there, and we stop paddling, we'll go to a 5th wheel/gooseneck. And with a 5er I could just leave the hitch in the bed of the truck rather than dis-assemble it each time; easier that way when you're older.

Never had any trouble with towing a TT with the proper hitch (currently have an Equal-I-Zer). But both trailers have had over 15% tongue weight so that helps.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:40 PM   #25

Smile

Well, thanks again I really enjoy reading everyone's experiences and opinions. While I know the capacity of my truck and am very confident in what it can handle based on the trailer calculators a 5er is really out of the picture at this point. There are only a couple out there that have a GVW under 11,000 lbs and none used within 200 miles of us. So new the prices range from $39,000 to $48,000. A new TT ranges from $31,000 to $34,000 but a good used one 2012 to 2013 there are well over a dozen within 100 miles of ranging from $19,000 to 25,000 so that is a big consideration. We looked a a 2013 Windjammer has opposing slides and a bedroom slide if it was used it wasn't used much. The refrigerator looks like nothing has ever been it, the stove has never been lit and i doubt the shower has ever been used. A brand new 2015 model is 33,950 this one is asking 26,500 has everything we could ask for.

I know several of you out there recommend a smaller unit as we will be out seeing the country. This is true however, we will be staying in most places for as 2-3 weeks at a time and we will not be put sight seeing 24/7. There are going to be the occasional days where we sit by the pool fr a while then go in to get caught up on emails and skype with the grandkids etc so a small 26 footer with no slides would be the end of the trip the first rain storm where we were stuck inside.

So what we need is a unit that has a plentiful living area, a nice size bedroom with a wardrobe and a decent size bathroom where one of can take a shower while the other brushes their teeth. Now if I should hit the lotto I'll be picking up my new 3500 Duramax and probably a nice 36-38 5er but getting back to reality we will be looking at a TT..
Any advice on a good equalizing hitch with sway control will be greatly appreciated I hate to buy 3 or 4 the first year trying them out. And I would love to hear more about everyone's experiences and likes and dislikes on the different manufactures og TT's.

Thanks again and keep it coming