Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2013, 12:03 PM   #1

TT Warranty

I'm 99% sure that I am going to cancel the extended warranty on my trailer. Its a Shadow Cruiser 280QBS. Can anyone think of a strong reason to keep these?

We got the warranty with the knowledge that it was able to be cancelled without penalty for 60 days. This gave me a few days to look over all of the systems.

Appreciate all of your thoughts.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #2

Between DW and myself, one is a CMA (accountant) and one an engineer. When we bought our new TT earlier this year, we looked long and hard at the extended plan that was offered to us. We spent many hours doing our due diligence by reading anything we could find on the internet. In the end, we decided against the extended plan. This was some of our reasoning:

I don't know about your particular make, but I have read all too often about owners that have problems while still under warranty and they get refused coverage anyway. Trailer Life. mag. always has stories on this. If you fight hard and/or take the right approach, sometimes you will finally get covered but sometimes not. For example, if you get end up with frame cracks or damage, they will try and blame it on you when in fact it's substandard design.

If you have a 2 year warranty (we do), then 2 years is plenty of time to deal with the "usual" things that typically happen. Even within one year it can be okay, especially if you stay on top of things and keep looking for things that break, fail or don't seem right. Even if you can't get it in before the end of 12 months, if you can notify them in writing, you should get covered. For example, it took us over a year to get faulty brakes fixed on our last TT but because we had started the complaint process before the end of 12 months, they paid for the repair. (Brakes were faulty when they left the factory)

After the expiry of your initial warranty period, things that go wrong hopefully will be of a smaller nature and not too costly to repair. If you are handy, it may not be worth the aggravation of having to go to a shop and it's easier to just fix it yourself.

Despite what you may be told or think to yourself, you may simply not have your brand spankin' new unit as long as you think. If it's your first one, it's part of the learning curve. After a year or two, you may be at an RV show and see a nicer longer and fancier TT that you just hafta have. Ex. - it happened to us at the beginning of this year after owning our last one (and first) 20' TT for only a year. We swore up and down it was all we ever needed. This happens a lot...

In the first few years, your TT value plummets. If and when you go to sell it or trade it in, dealers and others will go by the blue book value. Won't matter what mods or upgrades it has or what extended warranty goes with it. It's shocking how much value they can lose. That extended warranty that gave you piece of mind at first could really be a loss in the end...

You need to read the fine print in those warranty plans. If you look at things really closely, you may very well find that things that don't usually break are covered and the expensive things that can or do like fridges, AC units, TVs, furnaces, etc. are not covered or are very restrictive.

When we were reading on forums what others said about the extended warranties, it seemed like a significant majority were saying don't spend the money. I'm very handy with building and repairing things so am not afraid to tackle most things and can't see paying the extra on a warranty for someone else to do it.

The plan that we were offered was a generic RV one plus it included a number of things that we didn't even have in our TT. We would therefore having been paying for things that we didn't even have. Not great right there...

Sometimes you also need to consider what the dealer's service quality is like. With some, it can take many, many weeks to fix things. They give you an appt. to have it looked at (could be 1-2 weeks). They ask you to leave it there. Then they wait for authorization for repair (could be another 1-2 weeks). Next they order parts and wait to arrive. Easily couple of weeks sometimes. Then they schedule your work into their "busy" schedule which can be another couple of weeks. Overall, it can be between 1-2 months. BTDT. You have to ask yourself, is it really worth having your unit sidelined that long, especially if in the camping season? I'd rather fix it myself and be done with it or maybe go to an independent shop (depending on cost).

If you have lots of spare money floating around, go for it. I'd rather keep the money and spend it on some nice RV goodies instead.

myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #3

Thanks for the great perspective. I'll definitely be cancelling. The dealer made everything sound so insanely complicated.

I happen to be an engineer and I have worked on very complicated electro/mechanical systems. After looking at the water heater / refrigerator I felt they would be all too easy to repair or replace.

I might be oversimplifying, but I'd rather hold on to the money.

Again, greatly appreciate the feedback.

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #4

And, things like the refrigerator are covered under the warrantee by the manufacture of the refrigerator . The TT builder doesn't cover them under his warrantee anyway.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #5

An extended policy will help cover the cost of new ACs/Refrs/appliances, which can be expensive, but easy to repair/replace. And that's after the manuf. warranty is up.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman CBB View Post
And, things like the refrigerator are covered under the warrantee by the manufacture of the refrigerator . The TT builder doesn't cover them under his warrantee anyway.
Does that mean if you had an extended warranty you have to deal directly with the fridge (or other appliance) manufacturer on your own without any dealer help?
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
Does that mean if you had an extended warranty you have to deal directly with the fridge (or other appliance) manufacturer on your own without any dealer help?
I guess that depends on the dealer. If they are a good one they should always be willing to help. But, I could see where if they wanted to they could tell you that your on your own and it's not there problem. If they wanted to get technical and picky that is. I've never bought new so I really don't know I guess.